Apply for membership
DeathBytes

DeathBytes

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
70 4 0
There probably isn't much of a reason either way for a "bad forum" list, as it's usually fairly obvious when visiting these types of sites because they openly advertise selling invites. A simple Google search will pull all the active/popular ones so with or without a list it won't make any difference.

As to why people resort to such sites, I wouldn't say it's always about "not wanting to put in the work". I mean there are lots of people out there that would be willing to put in work to get into a tracker but for the best ones out there it's not always that straight forward. If the only way in is an invite and you don't know anyone willing to give you one and depending on if you have a reputation built up on other reputable trackers or not it could be a long process with no guarantee to get in. It's easy to have that "just put in the work" mentality when you already have all the connections in place to pretty much get into any tracker you need, which is completely different for someone starting out or those without a reputation built up on other private trackers. This is actually one of the reasons TPS is so important because there are a lot of resources here to guide users into what they need to do to get into the sites they need. One of those is knowing which sites trackers have recruitment on, because otherwise you might invest a ton of time into a tracker only to find out they might not even have a power user recruitment thread. Now I know some of you are going to read that and think "yeah but you shouldn't contribute because of a recruitment thread, but rather to better the site" but at the same there is nothing wrong with using your time wisely with the path of least resistance to get where you need to go. Also, even if that is your only source of motivation for participation at a tracker, as long as what you're doing is benefiting the tracker/community I see no problem with it and neither should anyone else. For those that still think that's a bad mentality, remember it's the staff of trackers that ultimately decide the access and requirements for such threads.

But as long as private trackers are around without any clear entry point these invite forums aren't going anywhere. Want to put an end or cut down on invite selling/trading? Give people a reasonable way to get in. Personally I like the interview system some trackers use. I think it would be interesting if there was a process where new users could signup but are given some type of contribution/participation goals they must meet in a reasonable time frame or their account gets disabled/deleted with a certain amount of time they have to wait to reactivate/try again. At least that way it forces new users to contribute something while also weeding out leechers and giving new users a way to earn their way in.

Dwarsligger

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Administrator
Gold
Reactions
4,995 19 69
I think it would be interesting if there was a process where new users could signup but are given some type of contribution/participation goals they must meet in a reasonable time frame or their account gets disabled/deleted with a certain amount of time they have to wait to reactivate/try again. At least that way it forces new users to contribute something while also weeding out leechers and giving new users a way to earn their way in.
Don't make every tracker go Chinese with some assessments please :(

street_fighter

street_fighter

Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Gold
Reactions
875 0 2
"Interesting" is probably the last word that comes to mind with those assessments, imagine if every tracker had them :eek:

DeathBytes

DeathBytes

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
70 4 0
Hmm, then maybe exclude the requirements for people who join via invite? Having some type of "assessment" would be better than no option at all.

Silk186

Silk186

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
Reactions
687 6 2
"Interesting" is probably the last word that comes to mind with those assessments, imagine if every tracker had them :eek:
It wouldn't bother me, the first thing I do when I join a tracker is build a huge buffer.
It would be much more difficult for anyone new to the tracker world and potentially would discourage them.

street_fighter

street_fighter

Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Gold
Reactions
875 0 2
It wouldn't bother me, the first thing I do when I join a tracker is build a huge buffer.
It would be much more difficult for anyone new to the tracker world and potentially would discourage them.
Same here, but I find this minimum download amount annoying, you just end up downloading stuff you don't want just to meet the quota, just seems a but pointless.

Silk186

Silk186

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
Reactions
687 6 2
Same here, but I find this minimum download amount annoying, you just end up downloading stuff you don't want just to meet the quota, just seems a but pointless.
That is how you build buffer, but yes it can be annoying and you don't always have the space.

Janner

Janner

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
457 2 0
I think HD-T requirement of 15Gb a quarter is fairer
Depends - if it is done the way that HD-T do it ie 15Gb a quarter, that seems fair to me. 15GB is less than 1 remux. If you don't need that from the tracker in 3 months then you don't need the tracker. Same goes for HDB - you need to average 1GB a week - again, if you don't need (on average) 1GB worth of data a week, you don't need the tracker.

Dwarsligger

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Administrator
Gold
Reactions
4,995 19 69
Just as a reminder with our recent AnonLife AnonLife thingy and aanarcis aanarcis banning: from now on there will be zero tolerance. Atm we're not even actively searching for members being on other places and the 2 named here came by accident or by a heads-up from a friend (thanks!) but we're getting a bit sick & tired of people not being able to follow some simple rule, not even after we've announced this for years now. If we encounter other members on such places, if they didn't come clean to us, and if they still use their membership (yes, logging in is using) they are out, no matter what rank they have here or what excuse they come up with. Hope it's clear...

DeathBytes

DeathBytes

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
70 4 0
To be clear on the proposed idea of "participation goals/assesments" I mean as some form of initial goals to be met when joining without an invite, and not some type of ongoing goal system that has to be maintained during the entire life of the account.

Also, I'd be completely against any sort of "minimum upload/download" type of ongoing thing you have to constantly maintain. Depending on the site, maybe you'll need a bunch of torrents one month, and maybe not need anything else until a few months later. I'm not a big fan of treating tracker members as "forced seedboxes/storage bins". I understand trackers want to encourage participation but it should be about getting what it is you actually want, and sharing the things you have, rather than about being forced to download and seed everything in sight. There is nothing wrong with doing that, as obviously it helps others looking to snatch content, but it should be up to the individual user to decide if he wants to do that sort of thing or not. I'd much rather have my hard drives filled with content I actually want/love, rather than just filling it up with things I don't care about just to boost stats on a tracker. Because at that point it becomes more like a job, rather than just enjoying being a part of a filesharing community, which is what it should be. If you're really enjoying your time on a tracker, that should be enough motivation for you to find a way to contribute.

But anyway, that's trailing a bit off topic so I'll end it here, but just think about it :)

CalicoJake

CalicoJake

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
86 0 0
To be clear on the proposed idea of "participation goals/assesments" I mean as some form of initial goals to be met when joining without an invite, and not some type of ongoing goal system that has to be maintained during the entire life of the account.
I dont want to feed the off-topic thread, but I agree with you... I think the combination of an interview and maybe a 3-month probationary period (with measurable, predefined goals in place) would be a good way to give someone new a chance.

apollocreed

apollocreed

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
25 0 0
The most important thing is you tell us about your other memberships on your application. When we discover some things later which you didn't tell us right away it's pretty hard for us to just let it pass. We also expect our members to stop visiting the forums that operate in a grey area but ofcourse you can visit the safe ones as much as you want.
I don't know for sure which are those that are gray and/or those that are white.
Maybe we are on the blacklist of some other obscure board ?
Well from my point of view people should go on IRC to receive invite after they proved they know at least how to keep a good ratio.
This problem where people are ready to pay to have an entry in private tracker is how society is nowadays. Having everything just now, consume. They don't even want to show their abilities not even thinking on themself to what they can share for the others.
As for the dealers, well they take profits of that, in an absolute selfish manner, maybe if they gave the money back for the site maintenance it could be acceptable but another problem will emerge, the social representation of the people won't be anymore, and we will have some kind of social elite on trackers which nobody wants.

G

geezer

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
128 0 1
I have to say that I didn't read all the comments on this topic. Not because I think they would be boring or not worth the read but after a couple paragraphs that's just enough for me so if I miss the point on some comments I ask that you overlook it.

First don't be surprised if you don't see "shady" forums not getting attacked. The "shady" forums have "shady" members so why would scum attack their own kind?

Secondly there's traders, sellers and all the other scum on ALL legit forums.I don't care how carefully staff examines potential members some scum always gets through. There's scum here. There's scum at the other only legit forum I know of. It's great that staff at these trackers are diligent to keep their members safe but let's face it. Some will get through.

Lastly I believe in giving second chances. If you apply to a forum or tracker and you're completely truthful about your torrenting history you should and probably will be accepted. There's not one person here that can say they haven't broken a rule or two on a tracker or forum. After all we're all human. Least most of us are. The verdict is still out on Dwarsligger Dwarsligger .

Bottom line is be an honest pirate. If you're honest and that forum or that tracker still won't accept you then fuck them. If that's the type of staff they have then you don't want to be there anyway and the best trackers have the best staffs and the best staffs will give you a second chance unless you've broken multiple rules on multiple trackers/forums then you deserve a global ban.

Just one other thing to keep in mind about being straight up about your history and that is if you lie you may get away with it for a week, a month or even years but eventually you'll get kicked out and wouldn't it be a bitch if you were on a tracker or forum for years and worked hard to acomplish whatever your goal was and get thrown out?

Dwarsligger

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Administrator
Gold
Reactions
4,995 19 69
If you apply to a forum or tracker and you're completely truthful about your torrenting history you should and probably will be accepted. There's not one person here that can say they haven't broken a rule or two on a tracker or forum. After all we're all human. Least most of us are.
I said from the start this is absolutely true, and people do get 2nd chances. We (myself included) all make mistakes but there's a difference between honest mistakes and 'mistakes' where people are very aware of what they're doing. There's also a huge difference between people being honest about their mistake and people trying to cover up their 'mistakes' or simply 'forget' about them.

G

geezer

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
128 0 1
I said from the start this is absolutely true, and people do get 2nd chances. We (myself included) all make mistakes but there's a difference between honest mistakes and 'mistakes' where people are very aware of what they're doing. There's also a huge difference between people being honest about their mistake and people trying to cover up their 'mistakes' or simply 'forget' about them.
Guess that's why I need to read twice and cut once.