Your Torrenting Past Affecting Your Future Pt 2: Handling Invites

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Regarding:

BaconBits issue - or anytime you are banned from a tracker. It looks like this will lead to you being "looked at" and sometimes the tracker finds out more about you that they didn't know before, and next thing you know you are on "the list." Just something for people to think about. (our Staff PM lines are open for anyone who wants to let us know upfront about anything we need to know, as always)

On a similar note, I also brought up the issue of the TPS member here once who wrote a lot of negative stuff about a tracker here. It wasn't constructive criticism, but a lot of "hysterical" accusations against their staff. This led to the tracker also doing some investigation into him and they found he faked a profile link when applying , so he got banned. The tracker staff emphasized he was not banned because of what he posted.

Finally, when it comes to use of private trackers, perhaps patience is a virtue. Have enough patience to seed long term, to not go overboard with downloading initially, and to get known in the private tracker world if you are interested in getting invites to other trackers. The private tracker world isn't "all about you," it's "all about US." To quote famous Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, "It's the name on the front of the jersey that matters most, not the one on the back."

^ To you non-sports fans - the name on the front is the name of the team. The name on the back is the name of the player.

Teslaforce

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
People who are bounty hunters, who try to join hard to join trackers just for show off purposes or to add to their trophy list are worst than people who are legitimately interested in a tracker but act desperate. I believe they are the primary movers of invite transactions on those sites. They not only help flourish those sites but pull in the unsuspecting could-be-legit-users-otherwise guys as well from all the talk.

Reactions: othersna

Maelstrom

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I think the best course of action for new people in file sharing would be to only join trackers/communities that have application processes, or only try to get an invitation through tracker's staff recruitment or open sign ups.
I also think invites are slowly disappearing from tracker communities, most of us will use our invites on rare occasions if ever and on the other side I think it's a pain for tracker's staff to try to keep an eye on invites being sold, trade or given in public every single day.
That being said there are a some trackers that depend on the influx of new users to help cover the costs of operations, so in contrast, being to radical about this can effectively left a tracker with no activity. Playing man of honor and brigand at the same time is impossible but I guess its ok to keep trying as long as most are happy.

ZebTM

Buccaneer
Gold
Reason why are there so much badly written applications because of instant gratification especially amongst younger generations.

They are baffled with concept that they have to actually put some effort in this whole "BT private scene". They don't understand why are you aren't letting them join tracker so they can download stuff they need (not want, need). God forbid to bother with concepts like long time seeding, ratio and reputation. Why cant they join E****/P***** right away, that is what they want, not some WCD. Why they have to learn something about encoding, Google said FLAC is best, what is this bitrate and log (cue) files? And they have to take interview ? What is this, job appication?

Beacuse everything is about them.
I doubt that it has anything to do with this generation specifically, but yeah from talking to people I can confirm this attitude. Most people think of anything related to piracy as "instant free stuff" and are baffled by the concept of a community built around sharing. People just hit and run torrents from public trackers when they want something, which is why public trackers are so shitty - i once put a public tracker torrent on my seedbox and when i checked the next day it was at 400 ratio. People don't really realize that for them to get something from a torrent someone had to upload it and then other people had to provide bandwidth, they just go "hey free stuff".

To be honest when I was invited to What.CD the person who invited me basically described the site as that, just a place to get free music. Luckily I took the time to scope out the forums and realized my mistake. Now BT is basically a hobby for me haha

AbeSimpson

Gold
I doubt that it has anything to do with this generation specifically, but yeah from talking to people I can confirm this attitude. Most people think of anything related to piracy as "instant free stuff" and are baffled by the concept of a community built around sharing. People just hit and run torrents from public trackers when they want something, which is why public trackers are so shitty - i once put a public tracker torrent on my seedbox and when i checked the next day it was at 400 ratio. People don't really realize that for them to get something from a torrent someone had to upload it and then other people had to provide bandwidth, they just go "hey free stuff".

To be honest when I was invited to What.CD the person who invited me basically described the site as that, just a place to get free music. Luckily I took the time to scope out the forums and realized my mistake. Now BT is basically a hobby for me haha
I consider it a hobby for me as well. It's actually quite fun

• Agree
Reactions: martianka and ZebTM

martianka

Buccaneer
Gold
Is the site "torrent-invites.com" such a bad site?
So if tracker staff "infiltrate" these bad trading forums, then I guess some of them are here as well? (hi guys!)

What Antomon Antomon wrote was really good, and that's exactly why I don't invite my real life friends with a few exceptions.

They wouldn't appreciate the greatness of the best trackers to begin with in many cases. Or even if they did, they'd quickly mess out their accounts.

I invited a friend of mine who was complaining that she spends over a thousand quid every year on books, to My Anonamouse, thinking it was an easy 'beginners' tracker. She couldn't even manage that, and was complaining that people were rude. It's the nicest and most easy-to-seed tracker on the internet, and she had plenty of incentive, since she had a huge book habit

People who are bounty hunters, who try to join hard to join trackers just for show off purposes or to add to their trophy list
Yes, agree - they are lame losers. I'm actually not even sure what trackers we are talking about. Personally I'm only interested in sites that have content that interests me. Prestige notwithstanding.

Last edited:

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
Is the site "torrent-invites.com" such a bad site?
Yes.

So if tracker staff "infiltrate" these bad trading forums, then I guess some of them are here as well? (hi guys!)
Are you asking whether there are tracker staff here at TPS? If so, the answer is yes! The list of "official" tracker representatives is here - https://www.thepiratesociety.org/threads/new-reps-recruiters-list-2015.126504/

However, it is fairly well known that there are other members here that are tracker staff even though they are not recruiters / reps. This includes moderators, admins and some sysops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: martianka

martianka

Buccaneer
Gold
I hadn't quite picked up on these recruitment threads - just started using the forum. But that's fantastic!

Great news for people starting out in the tracker world, here they can get into some really nice trackers where they can work their way up and establish a reputation. Otherwise, for many people, there is no obvious way in.