Your Torrenting Past Affecting Your Future (at TPS)

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Sorry for marking some of your responses as funny. The reason I marked them as such is because I find those stories funny every time I hear them. I have to admit to playing around with these dickwads when I am bored.

It was brothers mates, they came into my room when I wasn't here and hit and run and ratio cheated. Oh no wait, it was my sisters friends...no wait...umm...would you believe it was my mum? Ah yea I do admit it can be fun at times. But when your short of time its annoying as all fuck.

Please at least come up with some entertaining lies if you must lie about it. That way we can have a smile on our faces when we ban your ass :p

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Here's another guy caught in an amazing lie. Back in my more naive days I invited a bad user to one of my trackers (DeadXxX, currently banned). He convinced me to also invite "his friend" Ninjaxxx - who had completely different profile links from DeadXxX . Note DeadXxX was a member of TPS. Ninjaxxx was not. Well DeadXxX was banned for being on a bad user list and I was told that (in retrospect this was obvious) that Ninjaxxx and DeadXxX were the same person making dupe accounts and using different IP addresses.

So I confront Ninjxxx who wasn't yet banned at the tracker and he tries to kiss up to me, saying he chose his nickname because of my ninja avatar. Well the LIAR was busted. At that tracker, I didn't use the ninja avatar, I used my "Fountain of Bellagio" avatar. Since ninjaxxx was NOT a member of TPS, he could not have known what my TPS avatar looked like. BUSTED........

(You have to be a really good liar to keep the charade up for a long time....)

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
haha, maybe we should make a new thread about funny bans staffers have experienced....hmm then again maybe we'd reveal too many of our secrets...lol

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
No secrets revealed by me. These chumps get busted because of their own stupidity. I just let them talk and talk until I catch them in a lie.

As Confucius said - Give a man enough rope, and he shall hang himself.

Sting

Captain
Captain
Gold
If you have made dupe accounts at trackers, we also don't forgive that. There is no n00b excuse for doing that. Usually dupe account members are also traders and sellers who were banned and then came back under a new identity.
Very well written piece as usual othersna othersna but I feel like the tidbit above is a little harsh. Sure, dupe accounts is rife among traders and sellers, but I've seen just as many n00bs fall victim to this mainly due to ignorance. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a user waltz into IRC complaining that their account got disabled, and when questioned as to why they created a duplicate account, they reason that their original account was disabled for inactivity so they thought it would be okay to create a fresh one. I mean it's still a very stupid thing to do, and I feel that a lot of these users lack any sort of common sense, but it wouldn't be fair to treat them in the same regard as traders and sellers.

Speaking about not fessing up and being honest with us - we just banned Root.
Oh man I hope whatever he did wasn't too serious, I just invited him to one of my trackers!

Last edited by a moderator:

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
Oh man I hope whatever he did wasn't too serious, I just invited him to one of my trackers!
Root Root was banned for failing to sufficiently explain a number of inconsistencies with his tracker accounts, including potential account sharing and disabled accounts.

I would hope that Root will not break your trust, but you can always PM the tracker and explain the situation.

I once made the mistake of inviting someone to PTN days before he was banned here. I PM'd their tracker staff and they politely informed me that it's fine, that we all make mistakes sometimes, and disabled him.

I'm sad to see Root go, I actually really like the guy. But unfortunately sometimes your lies catch up with you in a way that can't be resolved, even if you've changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sting

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Sting Sting - OK, I did not think about the situation of the person who got disabled for inactivity and made a dupe account. We could make an exception for that.

The usual dupe account reasons are unforgivable because those who make a dupe account under those situations are not n00bs and should know better, such as:

1) Creating 2 accounts at the same time. You have to be savvy enough to use 2 IP addresses and make 2 fake identities. Usually this is for selling or trading purposes.
2) Creating a dupe account after getting banned. I think of those members who leech out their accounts and get banned for ratio trouble, and then make a 2nd account to repeat the process. Or the guy who got banned for being a bad user and makes a dupe account under a different identity. (Instant ban for doing this with your TPS account.) Note BlackPirate/GreeceLight/Rastafarian has already tried 3 times to make a dupe account after his last ban.

It's usually pretty clearly stated in the rules "One account, per user, per lifetime"

Re: Root - he's not getting globally banned to my knowledge, only the ones where he possibly shared an account. He might still be at the tracker you invited him to, unless he shared that account as well. ;) But better safe than sorry so go ahead and PM the tracker staff there. They will ask you how you knew him and just be honest - you did not know about his past. We didn't either. ;)

Reactions: Sting and thedeh

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a user waltz into IRC complaining that their account got disabled, and when questioned as to why they created a duplicate account, they reason that their original account was disabled for inactivity so they thought it would be okay to create a fresh one.
I can't understand why someone goes to IRC when their dupe account got disabled too and think it's ok to make a second, while all they just had to do was going to IRC when their first account got disabled and have it re-enabled?

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
I can't understand why someone goes to IRC when their dupe account got disabled too and think it's ok to make a second, while all they just had to do was going to IRC when their first account got disabled and have it re-enabled?
Especially if it's the first disabling for inactivity. I believe some trackers state in their rules that they will only re-enable once for inactivity but surely most (all?) allow at least one?

• Agree
Reactions: Sting

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Usually when a person makes a dupe account by "accident" you can spot it because they either use almost exactly same name, IP's are the same, email is the same, or very similar etc. It "appears" as though they made no attempt to hide their identity. These people get disabled, then the come to IRC.

After a very short chat its usually very clear if its just a mistake and the person forgot ("I tried to make an account but my username was taken..."), or had no idea you could get your old account re-enabled etc. Unfortunately not everyone can remember these things, especially if they are new to the private scene and are trying to learn all the rules. Took me weeks to months to get familiar with all this shit.

Sting Sting As for root... I doubt any site would ban you for inviting a bad person that you then learn is bad after you invited them, and then immediately inform the tracker about it. I mean how well do you really know anyone online? None of us are a perfect judge of online character. I saw root as an awesome member here too! After a few months I would have considered him a safe bet.

Oh also account sharing, yea that can be a threat to a site if the other person is a "bad apple". But in most cases someone experienced that shares their account with someone is usually trying to show them what the site is like, or to make it easy for that person to grab what they want instead of getting a list etc. So some may not see that as such a bad offense depending on circumstances. But 99% of sites will still ban someone for doing it...lol.

I myself have a mate who loves movies and tv shows as much as me, but he is clueless about BT and he can't maintain an account even if he did educate himself. I use a private IRC channel that has just me and him in there, he spits out lists of shit he wants and I download it all for him. I personally would never share my account...lol. So instead I do this. I encourage everyone to do something similar, skype, sms whatever...get them to send you what they want and get it for them. Never let them use your accounts...lol

Sting

Captain
Captain
Gold
That's actually a good point, if they were smart about it, venturing into IRC at first instance would've solved their problem immediately. Again it comes down to reading the rules, and if people actually did this upon joining trackers we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Also, thanks everyone for the feedback re: Root Root ; although he was a nice guy, rules are rules and I'm just glad I didn't fund a seller or trader. Anyway I've made it known to staff so I'll just let them deal with it as they see fit.

Reactions: jammyone

apollocreed

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
May I give gold to such an awesome blog, you fellas at TPS are the most kindest staff ever I have known.
I totally agree from the first time I saw the deleted userbase here at TPS I was like whoau ! spend some hours to read the comment some are really funny :):lmao: