We Are All Criminals

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
DeepBlueMorocco DeepBlueMorocco , I believe all of Amazon's books are drm-ed. After my first and only fiasco with Amazon (they delivered a purchased book to the cloud, rather than to my pc - no kindle installed - and I had NO access to the book) I have not been back to dear Amazon for books.

However, I did d/l a bundle of azw (kindle format) books with not a single one stripped and hence totally useless to me. Now, IF I buy a book I buy from Kobo, and only books without DRM.

Reactions: DeepBlueMorocco

marsupial

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
As others have said, I am an unapologetic criminal who will actively seek to pirate almost any media before considering a legit purchase. In fact, the only media I buy with any consistency is vinyl records, the occasional collectible cd/sacd/dvda, or the rare video game for which I desire online multiplayer functionality. As 95% of what I download consists of music, movies, and tv shows, I feel morally sound knowing that I am doing my small part in damaging the MPAA / RIAA etc, and I will continue to do so until it becomes VERY difficult.

I do wish that ebooks (and ebook trackers) were a thing during my college days, with - as one member astutely pointed out - the textbook companies regularly shitting on students with 300$ STEM books. As a younger, dumber, more ballsy man, I used to even steal these : )

For the vast majority of people, I make no attempt to hide my involvement with torrenting and piracy in general. Obviously though, with some people - certain colleagues, those in positions of authority - I simply do not bring it up.

Sk1llSh0t

Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Gold
the textbook companies regularly shitting on students with 300$ STEM books
They probably figure with students paying $100000 for 4 years of college, what's another couple hundred bucks piled on to the amount. They don't want to feel left out in the cold when student gouging is the popular thing.

• Agree
Reactions: DeepBlueMorocco

LadyCuddles

* TPSR IDJC Radio Sensei *
Gold
Back in my college days, about the only option you had was buying used books. Most people tended to steer clear of those cause, as one of my friends would say (I think they got it from Rodney Dangerfield), Don't get used books. They could have been highlighted by a moron.

College books were expensive, and about the only good thing about Computer Science books was, they were usually large. (So at least you felt the money you paid was worth it for the amount of pages you got).

In either case, I remember one of my Instructors even saying this at the start of the class: I've always used the same book for this class, but, unfortunately, the college decided to change it this season to another book, which is new, and can only be found as a new book. Sorry to everyone who is looking to saving a few bucks. He was even complaining as he had to buy the new book also. I think Sk1llSh0t Sk1llSh0t hit this on the nail, in between ensuring you have enough beer for the weekend parties, tuition, and making sure you get the right classes to full fill your degree, whats another three to five figures for books. I was actually lucky, as I was only taking a couple of night classes to get the main subjects of my major out of the way.

Another nice thing about Comp Sci books was, they usually only had one book, except for one. My COBOL I course did require special coding sheets, and even then, once I bought a pack of those, I went home and made my own with a dot matrix printer. This isn't always the case, some courses require at least two books (possibly a course book, and a study one).

Until one of my latest moves, I actually still had my Comp Sci 101 book in the back of my car (something like 20 years later). One of the most lame books I ever had the unpleasant experience to ever purchase. Required for the class, and pretty much completely stupid to have bought, as it explained the three parts of a computer; CPU, Algebraic Logic Unit, and Storage. At least it did have nice pictures, one of the Uniac first computer, and at that time, an explanation of Hollerath Code, and what a Punched Card looked like. As you might guess, once the class was completed, the book was a permanent fixture being tossed in the trunk of the car.

The Comp Sci 101 book was a complete waste of money, as even some of my COBOL I & II books could still be used for reference books after the course was completed. So, given this short experience with just Comp Sci major book purchasing, I can easily see that the whole college / book requirement issue could get way our of hand. Amazing really, educational institutions increasing their costs for tuition.

swalyons

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
thought need to be spread. these question are argued about in our country,some guys argue that we should pay some money for our reading books,listening music,watching movies etc, because there are so many people who live off writing book,but not paid enough money to get a normal life. I totally agree with this. But I need to talk about this from another point. Yes we need to pay money for our reading ,listening, but this doesn't means I do not deserve this if I can not afford this, there are so many person who can not afford these money, maybe a book just cost a few money, but how about a CD ,a movie BD? As far as I'm concerned, a book is written just because the author want to tell other person their option ,and make the world know his voice ,not to earn so much money,and the same as music ,movie. So if I share other people some book, music, movie, without get anything,but the guy learn so much, so what's wrong?
So, as a result, we should pay some money for these book, music, movie, if we have enough money, but if I share some thing to other person and makes these thought spreaded, but I get nothing, it is nothing to be ashamed. Because thought deserve to be spread, and nothing should stop it.

LadyCuddles

* TPSR IDJC Radio Sensei *
Gold
Totally agree with you, in many ways, if we look at the printed page (books), isn't that why we have Libraries? I know I still have a library card, and in my youth, I used to check out books more than I had money to buy them.

As far as that is concerned, we used to "rent" things, probably before the powers that be, realized people could copy them (and before they went all hot & heavy on copy protection schemes). Back in the days, you could rent movies; DVDs, Video Discs, VHS, and BetaMax. You could rent games, and even music. Of course this was before even the TV Channels started streaming the programs after they aired, on their own web sites, and ComCast started to offer the service to watch previously aired episodes of shows, and movies, to their customers.

In a way, we are criminals. We aren't a unified collection or organization, and we don't pay royalties to the originator as these other institutions are doing. In some ways, we could be seen as distributors, but those people get paid to do it. So, we call it file sharing, as anything can be represented as a digital file (or a collection of digital files, as in the case of a actual CD of music). We are seen as the "bad" guys, instead of the people (or organizations) that are in place to protect the artist, writer, or production company that produced the said item. We are the bad "people" because we distribute said items with no money involved, or being exchanged. Which is probably why we are seen as the bad people, we don't deal in money.

The real problem with the "system" is not us, but rather, the system itself. As someone once said, taken from the time of the US Prohibition, paraphrased a little, and referring to the Mob; make something everyone wants illegal, and someone will also risk breaking the law to provide it. This was the time of bathtub liquor, moonshine, and the dangerous job of distribution of it. Now, its information and entertainment... Why does this sound like an epilogue to the movie 1984 ?

laptop

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
have you similarly had to curb your public speech about your own media libraries? And have you found any specialized-interest communities where file sharing is accepted?
I used to openly say I pirated and was pretty loose about it but one of my friends almost got me in a shitton of trouble back in high school by telling my parents of the ordeal. Nowdays I just keep quiet on what I do on the internet for less hassle.

• Agree
Reactions: QW1620

The Seeker

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I used to openly say I pirated and was pretty loose about it but one of my friends almost got me in a shitton of trouble back in high school by telling my parents of the ordeal. Nowdays I just keep quiet on what I do on the internet for less hassle.
your parents work in the FBI ?

• Haha
Reactions: QW1620 and laptop

fdemon

Actife Membor
Captain
Gold
I never shy away from talking about piracy, and in fact almost everybody I discuss this with wants me to teach them how to do it themselves. I used to help set them up but they inevitably dont take it seriously and lose the account.

Real life friends are the worst people to give invites to.
Some people DESERVE to sit through commercials.

ELEKTRIK

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
long live p2p ....to server our needs saving some bucks and making my girlfiend(wife) happy !

grabbing for free aint our fault..they do it aswell just have to do their job ;P

Silk186

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
As a PhD research I will buy certain books dependent on relevance and price point, but will never pay for a journal, article or an electronic version of anything for my studies.
Currently, I don't pay for TV or music but after my studies I will pay for a subscription to a music service and would consider a streaming service for movie and TV as it is so much easier with a family.

• Agree
Reactions: mancity

Nomi

Cereal Killer
Radio DJ
Gold
To be frank, I wouldnt have bought the stuff I have pirated anyway. Don't have the $ to spare rn. Therefore I cause the producers/authors no real monetary loss by pirating.

• Agree
Reactions: YellowJelly

Jazzmino

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
have you similarly had to curb your public speech about your own media libraries? And have you found any specialized-interest communities where file sharing is accepted?

Well I personally don't discuss very much where I get the content for my archives very much. I try to avoid the subject all together to make it seem like I might into any kind of sketchy business. Though I've been asked before and most of the time the best answer to give is to say, "I torrent it". Most people will often tell you it's wrong and illegal ... along that route. But I have some good friends and the people that I talk to are understanding of the hobby.

I'm fine with being a criminal.

xabeR

Recruiter
Recruiter
Gold
DeepBlueMorocco DeepBlueMorocco if we can't talk about music on public blogs we have to talk about music on private blogs. Music tracker forums are often a lively place that you can use to exchange your new discoveries with others. I'd love the idea to provide a private, customizable blog for every member of our tracker, though I don't think many people would use that functionality.