The Way Things Used To Be

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

Ninjasaurus

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Wow, what a great read, I remember the days of 56k for sure. Literally keeping the computer on for 3 days straight so you could download your "albumwrap". Praying that no one would shut the computer down so you didn't have to wait ANOTHER day for it to finish. Thanks for the post, really enjoyed it.

EvilWalks

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
We had a good session of reminisce the other day on IRC, but reading this boosted it even more. So many of those great trackers where community came first are no more. Few true community havens left now days.

Sure, I love the speeds and ease of access to content now and how easily you can survive without ever uploading anything, but I really miss how it used to be. Even as late as 2010 it was a totally different game.

I always had a dream back then. Funny, since "dream trackers" aren't a thing I've thought about in such a long time time. But back then, that dream was Revolt. I'd routinely visit the front page on the off shot there was applications open or something. Spent years doing that. In fact, even now, under the rumor it's nothing more than a forum now, I still visit that login page every so often out of old habit and a brief moment of nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong, I love the private tracker scene, but fuck I miss the one of old.

• Agree
Reactions: DeepBlueMorocco

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
.....back then, that dream was Revolt. I'd routinely visit the front page on the off shot there was applications open or something. Spent years doing that. In fact, even now, under the rumor it's nothing more than a forum now, I still visit that login page every so often out of old habit and a brief moment of nostalgia.
Not a rumor, it's true, just a forum, although still laid out like a torrent site in that respect. I've only seen a couple of times where the tracker was even available as an option, and I believe those were request fills, not new content. Anybody who wants in there because they think it's hiding stuff.....it's not. There are some very oldschool torrenters there, but the current generation of torrenter would have no interest in it.

Tinfish Tinfish my man! I haven't seen you in a while, how are you? FYI people, Tinfish Tinfish was a great community member during TiTv1, and I made him a staffer on TiTv2 because he earned it. He was (and is) an awesome guy and I feel it a privilege to call him friend.

EvilWalks

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Not a rumor, it's true, just a forum, although still laid out like a torrent site in that respect. I've only seen a couple of times where the tracker was even available as an option, and I believe those were request fills, not new content. Anybody who wants in there because they think it's hiding stuff.....it's not. There are some very oldschool torrenters there, but the current generation of torrenter would have no interest in it.

Tinfish Tinfish my man! I haven't seen you in a while, how are you? FYI people, Tinfish Tinfish was a great community member during TiTv1, and I made him a staffer on TiTv2 because he earned it. He was (and is) an awesome guy and I feel it a privilege to call him friend.
The context I heard of the place was in the forum sense. A staffer and who's who haven if you will. Never staffed anywhere high profile enough, or was never friendly enough with anyone to actually ask around. Just silently hoped for an opening lol.

Extremely fond memories of TiT and everyone that staffed there. Was a perfect example of what many trackers now lack. Community of like minded individuals forging genuine friendships around a common interest.

You did good things bro. I hope you garner a sense of pride about it all. If you don't, you should.

Reactions: BlastGT1

Tinfish

PWT Community Rep
New Recruit
The ocean, the warm bit outside that big factory
Gold

I'm good. Lost a laptop and all the info in it, so with it went most of my IRC chans and websites :)
Also finally working, so more happy than I used to be lol :)

Reactions: BlastGT1

TheStash

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Wow this post does bring back some very fond memories from my past. I too was involved with the early days of torrenting, and can vividly remember the sounds of my 56k modems sweet sounds... HaHa
Even back to the days before I found my first bittorrent clients I can remember loving being a pirate. I prided myself on being a member of a site that shared SOOO much with one another. The knowledge that I gained in those days is priceless to me! So to read this post and the comments from others is like a blast from the past. It has put renewed vigor in my efforts and I hope that every member here reads this article and gives it the respect that it deserves. Most of the new folks that get into file sharing these days haven't the first clue of the struggles it took to get to this point.
Thanks for the great read and trip down memory lane BlastGT1 matey!!! :) :arrr: :buds:

fdemon

Actife Membor
Captain
Gold
I definitely miss the camaraderie(or lack of paranoia to be more precise) but not the ratio difficulty of those days. That part has some serious coke bottle rose-tinted glasses focused on it.

MorTal

DEATH iS ALWAYS TEH ANSWER
Pirate
Gold
MorTal MorTal , I am proud to say I know a handful of those great coders from when being a coder meant you were legitimately coding. Great people with great stories of history well before my time, they are.
M8 your so true I know a handful of them me self.... Only a few coders are about today and still pushing there code but for the most old school they are hidden well out of the lime light..
:)

DeathBytes

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Can't really say I miss the old days. I mean everything in the past seemed great at the time, but being a member of top torrent sites today is such a better experience than anything the past offered for finding content. Organization and not dealing with fake content is so nice.

My only real complaint about torrent content is with music. I miss the simplicity of just searching for individual songs I wanted, without worrying about a ratio system or having to hold on to entire albums even if I only cared about a couple of songs. If only music torrent sites offered a more relaxed system, where I could explore many albums and not worry about how its going to affect ratio, or having to keep an album seeded indefinitely if I consider it a "turd" after listening to it.