Apply for membership
Presently42

Presently42

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
32 0 0
My pleasure! In case you haven't, do make sure to read the post to which this is a response. It's on the front page.

BlastGT1

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
567 0 3
Thanks to everyone who has commented, thanked, and given gold thus far! I enjoy reading the thoughts and experiences of all of you in response to my post. Presently42 Presently42 , your post is my next stop after this reply.

By the way, I didn't even mention all the torrent clients I've tried throughout the years. That list is at least as long as the centralized filesharing clients I mentioned!

MorTal

MorTal

DEATH iS ALWAYS TEH ANSWER
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
104 0 5
Dam m8.. Taking the old ship out for a ride... Nice memory! .. For me I was around in the earlier 2003 and found my way on Demonoid back when it was only invite. I had a small connection to the main land and it was great but over the last decade people got away from those days and its all about who can seed fast and do you have a high ratio.. So many things have changed and you can go on and on about the new era of torrent. i remember back in the KVCD hey days and the 700MB files. WOW release many of them :) When open tracker was crazy and private trackers had all the cool sources. Now you find the same crap on all private sites. There was a time when each site had something different to offer. The FTP XXX is a load of crap and the old school IRC is junk full of spammers.. It's sad to see what this has come too. Everywhere you read is this tracker and that tracker and this group and that.. NO one keeps there mouth shut and keep us all out of the main lights nope because this dude wants fame... @BlasGT1 Thanks for the read m8tey ... you brought back some of the greatest time ever just in this post..

Dose one remember when filesoup was the thing and had all the info on just about everything.. The days when the TB code was real coding and all the mods you wanted you had to write.. Some of the greatest coders that wrote code for so many of those site WOW.. Today you can start a private tracker in 10 minutes with a cheep VPS and small 4TB seedbox.. OooO yeah you can leach from one site to yours. The old style of sharing is gone and it would take an ax of good and old pirate to bring it back.

Ship sailed away and all those old timers are gone because we all forgot what torrenting was all about share share share....

//

Cherokee

Cherokee

Willing to Give Trump To Australia
Dark Pirate
Gold
Reactions
1,381 0 14
Wow, funny to think of the 'good old days' as part of this century! There are still great communities out there. I gotta say, I like having a good internet connection. When I first started uploading, I had 8 GB of hdd, and a 35 kbps upload speed. I was like one thing at a time, for sure! (I only had room to watch and seed one program a week, besides my uploads!) Just this last weekend, I was thinking how much more fun a What free leech is when you actually have a great connection, and loads of space on your hard drives. So yes, there were some good times, but there are some good times now, too!

(Good to see you around again, Blast.)

BlastGT1

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
567 0 3
MorTal MorTal , I am proud to say I know a handful of those great coders from when being a coder meant you were legitimately coding. Great people with great stories of history well before my time, they are.

cambo

cambo

Pawn Star, AL Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Reactions
69 0 0
Nice read BlastGT1
Few old 10 year + sites still powering along
I Remember
starwars 3 early release shit went down with elitetorrents and Potuk
There wasn't that many sites around bloody maze sites of these days makes me dizzy
Uploaders did it manually no auto's
Invite forms wasn't many TPG was one of the good ones
utorrent 1.6 last client utorrent made before firon brought in new partners
MorTal you mentiond KVCD files didn't mind them perfect to add to your cd's
dvdsanta, windvd, dvdshrink, daemontools and Nero convertering files to dvd now we got portal hardrives (this is way better :) )
Sure more stuff that will do

Last edited by a moderator:
MorTal

MorTal

DEATH iS ALWAYS TEH ANSWER
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
104 0 5
BlastGT1 BlastGT1 Those coders I speak about I know a few of them and they did code many TB sites.. Now its just a one click wonder and boom your done. People have no clue about security or keeping there users safe. 2 nd people really just got away from it all. I remember when you got an invite to a site you where like hell yeah and you did ever thing you could to be part of that site. I like how TPS dose there levels here wish others on the net did the same thing. Well one day hope all those old timers could get back at it and have a place just for us to enjoy.

BlastGT1

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
567 0 3
I'd love to see an oldschool site done by OG torrenters. The only problem with that is the fact that people would hear about it and then everyone would probably be knocking down the doors, simply because it's new and mysterious, and they just have to find out what it's all about, regardless of content or concept. Sometimes I think Revolt has it right, mostly longtime torrenters who are there for the community, and if there are any torrents up, they're typically requests that have been filled.

thedeh

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
Reactions
6,911 15 84
Sometimes I think Revolt has it right, mostly longtime torrenters who are there for the community, and if there are any torrents up, they're typically requests that have been filled.
Invite? :D

A

antrax3434

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
33 0 0
Revolt is quite dead, nothing there

Janner

Janner

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
469 2 0
Kazza was my first experience with torrenting. I remember downloading a 700Mb film which took almost 2 weeks to download. I used to mainly stick to music downloads back then. I still have some of those I burnt to CD. CD's - what are they, some of you may ask:D

Last edited:
cambo

cambo

Pawn Star, AL Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Reactions
69 0 0
Dwarsligger

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
Reactions
5,002 19 69
I'm having a beer irc right now can't be that dead
* +cambo knocks the top off of a cold one
Damn you!

Now I want a fresh one too... :(

zoobuggy

zoobuggy

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
43 0 0
Thanks so much your memory's attention to detail surpasses that of my friends and mine as only last week we were trying to remember the name of audio galaxy.
I agree with you 100% about the glory days. I got so caught up in it that now looking back i cant believe that i took a day of work as i had a IRC interview.

Its a shame really as i would compare it to when i tell my children back in the day stories about how we shared our toys after Christmas with other kids in the village and we all got something new every day for months and looked after it.
Basically we had to be sharing participants of the community to experience the benefits of respecting what you have been given and returning it to others in the same condition, so that you could expect the favor to be returned.
Those toy sharing days for me were the 70s come the 80s stuff got way easier to get and the media machine told us that sharing = poverty, laziness, and inability to pay. Much the same as what happened to torrenting in the late 2000s.

Anyway as i have already said thanks so much for your post it has opened the memory floodgates for me even crap like "i got some stuff from limewire can you fix it for me"

BlastGT1

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
567 0 3
Thanks for the post! I have to agree with you, it is a lot like telling your children what it was like when you were a child, how we didn't have this or that, and had to do such and such to get what comes so easily for them now. It's funny how the torrent world tends to mirror real life. As technology advances, information is passed around far more quickly, and so many more things are available with minimal effort. Too many people, in my opinion, feel it is their right to get their content, rather than a privilege to do so.

foha80

foha80

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
18 0 0
Fabulous post brought back many meromies, I started with slow dial up connection it took me 30 minutes to download a three minute song - I would have been quicker shoplifting it out of Woolworths.

Sk1llSh0t

Sk1llSh0t

Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Gold
Reactions
680 3 16
My earliest memories of pirating was like many of you napster, kazaa, gnutella and the like. In the late 90's there was a site called Scour (before napster) which hosted tons of music. A lot of my earliest music collection I got from Scour. I was in college at the time so a lot of stuff could be found on shared drives. It was just a matter of hunting for the computers. IRC file downloading was also a source for me with movies. Open FTP sites as well were great sources for pirated material. I miss those days.

dakka

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
432 0 3
My earliest memories of private torrenting was BlastGT1 instructing me on what the hell I was supposed to be doing as a staffer...lol. Glory days indeed, and I was stoked I was there to learn from the masters themselves. Due to really crap internet, I had to quickly master things like managing individual bandwidth for torrents, cross seeding, etc. Luckily I had the likes of BlastGT1 and others of his ilk to teach and mentor me.

Like BlastGt1 my history of piracy is very similar, except I started on a 300baud modem via BBS's. I was actually still using BBS's while everyone else was using internet. I couldnt afford internet, so it took me a year or 2 to get on. But was very cool to hang with the pros when I started out in private BT land. 3months into my private career I was lucky to be on a site where he was admin and I was promoted to Mod.

My last comment and certainly the most important...

Beware of the meat heat!

DeepBlueMorocco

DeepBlueMorocco

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
125 0 0
A magnificent write up! Thank you for the stroll down memory lane. I began file sharing in the days of BBS environments. My first file download was COW.TXT. The first files I shared were .MODs I edited and played back in James Holderness' MFED.EXE. My memory is foggy but I recall being thrilled by the ZMODEM protocol's ability to resume a previously initiated download.

I fondly remember Bitcomet, Kazaa/Kazaa Lite/K++, eDonkey/eMule and all their brethren. And I'm delighted that Slsk has remained ad and spyware-free for ~15 years.

Simpler times indeed, and certainly a Golden Age not to be forgotten!