The Trials and Tribulations of Torrentland

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Not all staffers/sites will get insulted by what you did jammyone. But I do agree with Cherokee about just letting it die, also every place I have staffed handled the accounts exactly as he/she described (sorry Cherokee I forgot if you were a bloke or a girl, no offense intended).

So yea I would also advise just letting the account die. No one gets busted for a user that doesn't use the site. The inviter gets busted for inviting "bad" users aka cheats, hackers, anti-p2p peeps, etc. People that I think we can all agree hurt BT sites. On rare occasions members that hnr and leech until they get banned may also get you in trouble. Inactivity tho, yea never heard any site punishing the inviter for that.

• Agree
Reactions: Nimueh and jammyone

Alastor

Nebulance.io Recruiter
Community Rep
Gold
Sadly the majority of site staff won't give a fuck and that in itself is a very sad fact.

othersna edit: Please let's not get personal when disagreeing with someone here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Betrayed

Nimueh

Wicked Witch of SkyN3t
Community Rep
Gold
othersna edit: Alastor's personal attack was removed

Betrayed a GIRL??? Muarharharhar, shows how much you know :rolleyes:

And HE might be hated by the bad guys, everybody else likes him - and being hated by the bad guys is a good thing :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Capone and Alastor

Antibody

Bitme Rep
Community Rep
Gold
othersna edit: Alastor's personal attack was removed

Lol. You're quite the piece of work.

Doesn't happen frequently that staff at other trackers get banned. But I see the butthurt is still strong with you. Maybe you shouldn't have been doing dumb shit at BTN to deserve a ban?

LibraTeam

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Alot of food for thoughts :) Great story and i can find myself a bit in it.

I once bought an account, not an invite. It was on a well respected top 5 HD tracker. days went by and all working fine, till one day after a few weeks...
Tried to login on my account with 5 TB buffer on it. Password and or User name is wrong, try again. After few more tries my account got blocked for 24 hours, you know how it is. Next day tried again, then i found out that the password was changed into an other password. It was fun... for 4 weeks. Since then i never gonna get myself into this kind of sh*t. I was also member of one of the biggest invite forums, i'm still are member but didn't log in for a few months now. In hope that my account will be deleted because of inactivity.

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
From staffers perspective:

For newbs being tricked into buying invites (the google search example), you must be incredibly naive/have no source criticism if you believe everything people write on the internet without doing some research about the matter yourself. Hopping to IRC of the tracker for example and asking about it. Users with that particular excuse are lazy and attempting to do things in a way that takes least possible amount of effort regardless of what the rules of the site say about the matter. People that are trying to sell you something before you know them are not your friends, thats just common sense. They'll sugarcoat everything in order to make the sale, "stupid staff never find out" "its ok to buy" "i guarantee for 30 days, money back".
Did he make a mistake by not doing more research? Perhaps, but let's be blatantly honest here. How much can someone new to torrenting truly learn about private trackers if they've never set virtual foot in one? Even then, once they do, they don't know that every tracker has the same cookie-cutter ruleset, not to mention those that have additional rules unique to their site. If you knew absolutely nothing about a concept, and the "bad guys" befriended you and explained their version of reality to you first, you wouldn't necessarily be driven to find other people to refute that reality if it gets you where you want to go when you don't know any other way. Have you ever purchased anything on a friend's recommendation? I think most people have, so the outright assumption that only dumb people would find and take this path is pretty judgmental, if not outright incorrect.

Honesty is still the best option, sometimes you get your money back, seller gets banned, and you get to keep the account. (or have a new one made for you, allowing you to re-register with legit invite is pretty generous as well) There are naturally variety of policies for this across trackers. As Dwarsligger Dwarsligger earlier pointed out "security precautions" of those forums should be enough to deter any sensible person. It literally takes 1 inactivity disabled person on the tree trying to reclaim the account and a question "how did you get invited?" for that tree to get chopped down. No matter how long you've had the account, what kind of user you've been, if you bought it, it'll be gone.
Honesty is always the best policy, regardless of the outcome. If you messed up, you own it and move forward.

I'll finish up with the usual; if we (BTN) wanted to make money with this, we'd take invites from all users, shut down all recruitment, and sell invites for 50-100€/pop ourselves. Why bother competing with prices when we could have complete monopoly over it? We don't, because profiteering from piracy is despicable. Donations go to running the site/services, not to staffers pockets.
:arrr:
I've heard rumors of big trackers doing it in the past, and I'm sure that some do. Why not have a monopoly though? At least then you control the source of the invites, right? If a tracker were to do this, the best way I could see to do so would be selling a select few invites every month, the proceeds from which would be used directly for the cost of hosting, and perhaps a pad for the eventual rainy day. Besides, if you're accepting donations, aren't you profiteering from that if there is a cash surplus after the bills are paid? I definitely think sites that use donations to pay for their own seedboxes/scene axx are profiteering to some degree, because those are unnecessary expenses when it comes down to the basics, which is people sharing content. A user would be better off paying 10-20 bucks a month for Usenet access, where they would get the maximum speeds they could handle, and not be tasked with also managing a ratio and running their PC 24/7, so why donate to a tracker?

My opinion on running a site is that the owner(s) should always expect and be able to afford to pay for the site's expenses out of their own pockets. I do this with the forum I own and run, and sites have other choices to help with expenses. My forum users never bitched about the one or two banner ads per page, and they're not getting movies, music, apps, or any other normally-paid-for content from there.

There is always a counter-point to an argument unless you're debating mathematical certainties, and in that case, you're either right, or wrong.

Betrayed

BTN Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
No idea why you decided to dissect my post from 2½ months ago, but guess here we go again. :rolleyes:

Did he make a mistake by not doing more research?
Yes.

let's be blatantly honest here. How much can someone new to torrenting truly learn about private trackers if they've never set virtual foot in one?
Lots, rest is just excuses for laziness.

not to mention those that have additional rules unique to their site
Buying/selling/trading of invites is not allowed on any self-respecting tracker, thats not unique in any way.

Being naive/trusting on people isnt an excuse I'm going to take. Mainly because its impossible to know who is sincere and who is not, no way to differentiate, all get treated the same. Sucks for some more than others.

I've heard rumors of big trackers doing it in the past, and I'm sure that some do. Why not have a monopoly though? At least then you control the source of the invites, right?
I'd understand something like this from "NewbxxYY" with account created: yesterday. There is no way thats going to happen on any quality private tracker. If you cant figure out why, there is no point explaining it to you in more depth, you don't know enough of finances of private trackers for that to be purposeful usage of my time.

Besides, if you're accepting donations, aren't you profiteering from that if there is a cash surplus after the bills are paid?
No, we're not profiteering from those. All donations go into services/servers necessary to run the tracker. Small part of it goes to said "rainy day" fund, and another small part towards huge end of the year invoice, as some things have annual contracts. We're not drinking beer on users money if thats what you're suggesting.

10-20 bucks a month for Usenet access, where they would get the maximum speeds they could handle, and not be tasked with also managing a ratio and running their PC 24/7, so why donate to a tracker?
Good luck finding usenet provider with content as organized and available regardless of age. ;)

I do this with the forum I own and run, and sites have other choices to help with expenses.
No idea what the forum is, but 34k users need quite a bit of backend, there are lots of services that are taken for granted when they're working, but break crucial things when they're down. No doubt you can squeeze that $20/m it takes to run small forum out of your own pocket.

Even if we'd split the running costs of BTN among all staffers, it would be roughly 500€ per staffer per year, we'd be paying to work for users, that doesnt compute to me at all. How motivated would you be going to work every day when you'd have to pay your employer to go there? We're already contributing the time to do this.

My forum users never bitched about the one or two banner ads per page
We'll pull the plug on BTN rather than show advertising to users. Well run sites will never do this, I wont even get to the security aspects of that.

There is always a counter-point to an argument unless you're debating mathematical certainties, and in that case, you're either right, or wrong.
As you don't seem to have any idea about tracker finances, you shot yourself in the foot with that mathematical certainties thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Nimueh