The Trials and Tribulations of Torrentland

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
In some ways those trackers that you "confessed" to should be grateful, since by confessing you also allowed them to find your inviters, who are sellers (a much worse offense than buying an invite.)

Now I don't know if you will end up on any "bad user list" but for now if you want any invites for any trackers be upfront with your past with any potential inviter. Also, being upfront with us in the beginning is a good thing. When trackers report users on that list to us, we don't ban anyone who has been upfront with us. It's the ones who don't tell us about it that get banned when we find out after the fact.

Reactions: jammyone

AbeSimpson

Gold
I was pretty surprised that the one tracker even let me keep my account. The other three were actually pretty understanding, but out of respect for there members they couldn't, in good faith, let me keep the accounts. That's pretty crazy that you also had 4 trackers, must be some kind of coincidence :)
Did they say anything about leaving the door open to re apply at a later date. I've heard that some will ban you, but allow you to apply again later if you demonstrate good user behaviour in between.

Seeder101

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
No, they really didn't say. I know that one of the trackers IP banned me so I doubt they will give me a second chance. The other two didn't hint at a second chance but maybe there is hope for a future attempt to join

AbeSimpson

Gold
I think it's best to do what you did and come clean now. Now at least you know that any tracker you get from here on out should be safe. If you'd left it and hoped for the best you'd always be wondering if and when the "Ban" would come and then when it did you would have likely lost every account you ever had.

• Agree

Seeder101

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I think it's best to do what you did and come clean now. Now at least you know that any tracker you get from here on out should be safe. If you'd left it and hoped for the best you'd always be wondering if and when the "Ban" would come and then when it did you would have likely lost every account you ever had.
Ya it was a stupid mistake, one of those times where impatience gets the best of you and you would rather have it now then earn it. Live and learn :)

AbeSimpson

Gold
Ya it was a stupid mistake, one of those times where impatience gets the best of you and you would rather have it now then earn it. Live and learn :)
Fortunately I haven't made any of those mistakes in the torrenting world, but I've made some real doozies in the real world.

Nimueh

Wicked Witch of SkyN3t
Community Rep
Gold
Blabla ... more bla ... some bla ... blabla
Nice sob story there, congrats.

Unfortunately you didn't tell everything the way it is/was, so I tend to put the rest of your story on the scale of "utter BS" too.

Yes, you did get another chance at one tracker ... and YOU blew it, yourself and ON PURPOSE.

You were given a 2nd chance, then proceeded to leech the account dry AND sent a PM to staff saying that you did it so you don't have to "worry about the account" any more.

Seriously, THAT is your idea of doing it all better now? With that attitude I hope you get banned everywhere because you clearly didn't learn a damn thing from your experience.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Nice sob story there, congrats.

Unfortunately you didn't tell everything the way it is/was, so I tend to put the rest of your story on the scale of "utter BS" too.

Yes, you did get another chance at one tracker ... and YOU blew it, yourself and ON PURPOSE.

You were given a 2nd chance, then proceeded to leech the account dry AND sent a PM to staff saying that you did it so you don't have to "worry about the account" any more.

Seriously, THAT is your idea of doing it all better now? With that attitude I hope you get banned everywhere because you clearly didn't learn a damn thing from your experience.
The tracker you're talking about is not included in this story. It's a place I once thought I wanted in, got caught so quickly I barely got to know it, then was given a second chance after my confession of having bought the invite, but ultimately didn't want to stay because it wasn't my kind of place. I didn't know how to keep a ratio, so I wanted out. I think I messaged for help or even to disable my account at that point, but no reaction for over a week. That was cool, I didn't mind, but wanted my account closed so I thought that when the ratio was low enough I'd be banned automatically, but that didn't happen. Call what I did and how I did it whatever you want, stupid, infantile, idiotic, moronic, bring the rudest word or set of invectives you can come up with, I don't care, but liar? C'mon now.

Again - the four trackers I mentioned before did NOT include the one you're talking about. From your perspective it might have seemed as if I blew it, but how is that possible if it was on purpose? Kind of contradictory isn't it!? I want out, the account is leeched dry, end result, I'm out, got what I wanted.

I understand your reaction though. I suspect, please correct me if I'm wrong, that you thought I was talking about 'your' tracker. That's cool - but really, I wasn't. If you want more details, feel free to PM me. I've never talked shit about the place or derided it in any way - it just wasn't for me.

If all you got out of my blog is that it's a sob story, I feel I've come up short as a writer. That's too bad, because I am an aspiring one :) Sorry to hear that that's all what you're getting from it. Your wish of me being banned has partially come true, and I guess you might have influence to get me banned in more places. I just hope you won't.

Last edited:

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
ultimately didn't want to stay because it wasn't my kind of place. I didn't know how to keep a ratio, so I wanted out. I think I messaged for help or even to disable my account at that point
I, and I think many others with me, have also been on a tracker which looked promising at first but wasn't exactly my kind of thing, or the tracker changed troughout the years and doesn't feel good anymore. Imo the best and fairest way to leave it behind once you don't want to use it no more for whatever reason is to stop logging in and let your account get disabled for inactivity. Leeching the thing until you get kicked for a bad ratio doesn't help anyone, neither you or the tracker, on the contrary your bad ratio and behaviour might catch up on you later.

• Agree
Reactions: Nimueh

Nimueh

Wicked Witch of SkyN3t
Community Rep
Gold
I understand your reaction though. I suspect, please correct me if I'm wrong, that you thought I was talking about 'your' tracker. That's cool - but really, I wasn't. If you want more details, feel free to PM me. I've never talked shit about the place or derided it in any way - it just wasn't for me.
You're not a member on "my" tracker and if you were you'd already been banned for the crap you pulled (buying invites, not the leeching). But tracker staff talks and I used to staff at the tracker where you pulled that stunt.
I've been staff (at different trackers) for 10 years now and people like you just piss me off. You break the rules, claim you didn't know what you did and then hope to be forgiven. Seriously, sites like TI tell you to use different nicks at every tracker and esp. different from the nick there - how can you NOT know that something fishy is going on? What ever happened to common sense, why do the younger generations not have any?

I, and I think many others with me, have also been on a tracker which looked promising at first but wasn't exactly my kind of thing, or the tracker changed troughout the years and doesn't feel good anymore. Imo the best and fairest way to leave it behind once you don't want to use it no more for whatever reason is to stop logging in and let your account get disabled for inactivity. Leeching the thing until you get kicked for a bad ratio doesn't help anyone, neither you or the tracker, on the contrary your bad ratio and behaviour might catch up on you later.
Exactly, which is where above mentioned "common sense" comes in again. Don't like a site any more, don't want to be a member any more? Fine, stop logging in and let nature take its course. But to leech the account dry like that ... to ME that screams Bullsh*t and leads me to file your story as just another "got caught, trying to cut my losses now" story.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold

The site didn't look like anything to me - I had never seen it yet. How could I have? I just heard stories, was told it was good, and tried my chances. Yes, I did wrong, yes I should have done it otherwise, yes it wasn't the fairest way of leaving it behind. But that's not what I did as a noob, I got warnings and permaban threats and shit so I wanted out, messaged the person in question and got no reaction. It kinda freaked me out and I did a stupid thing. I've said this four or five times now. How often is enough?!

You're not a member on "my" tracker and if you were you'd already been banned for the crap you pulled (buying invites, not the leeching). But tracker staff talks and I used to staff at the tracker where you pulled that stunt.
I've been staff (at different trackers) for 10 years now and people like you just piss me off. You break the rules, claim you didn't know what you did and then hope to be forgiven. Seriously, sites like TI tell you to use different nicks at every tracker and esp. different from the nick there - how can you NOT know that something fishy is going on? What ever happened to common sense, why do the younger generations not have any?

Exactly, which is where above mentioned "common sense" comes in again. Don't like a site any more, don't want to be a member any more? Fine, stop logging in and let nature take its course. But to leech the account dry like that ... to ME that screams Bullsh*t and leads me to file your story as just another "got caught, trying to cut my losses now" story.
I wish I hadn't pulled that stunt, but I have. However stupid, somehow, at the time I thought that to be the best course of action. You've been in the game for over 10 years, you probably can't even imagine what it's like to not know what to do. But to start calling people liars and getting angry at them for confessing and generalizing them as a species an sich who must all be part of a lying generation that lacks common sense, that's just uncalled for. I haven't told a single lie.

Nimueh

Wicked Witch of SkyN3t
Community Rep
Gold
I wish I hadn't pulled that stunt, but I have. However stupid, somehow, at the time I thought that to be the best course of action. You've been in the game for over 10 years, you probably can't even imagine what it's like to not know what to do. But to start calling people liars and getting angry at them for confessing and generalizing them as a species an sich who must all be part of a lying generation that lacks common sense, that's just uncalled for. I haven't told a single lie.
I was new "in the game" once too - but I'm part of an older generation that still had common sense. Maybe you haven't told a lie - but emitting facts to make you look better is the same thing in my book, sorry.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
I'll assume for argument's sake you meant omitting since if I emitted them your last comment would've been obsolete. (yes, I'm trolling a bit here ;) )

It's understandable it looks that way - but if you read my introduction and my original blogpost, I think you'd agree they make me look a whole lot more stupid than when I would've written how I raced an account to death ('leeched it dry') at a place because I freaked out and wanted out ;) I think you're giving me too much credit

Nimueh

Wicked Witch of SkyN3t
Community Rep
Gold
Gimme a break, as a non-native English speaker I'm allowed a mistake here and there *beats the troll with a 2x4* :p

I think we'd be beating a dead horse if we kept this up any longer ... I said what I wanted to say, so did you ... as far as I'm concerned this is over and done with :)

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
Imo the best and fairest way to leave it behind once you don't want to use it no more for whatever reason is to stop logging in and let your account get disabled for inactivity.
Maybe I've done the wrong thing then.

Earlier this year I found that I'd joined a few too many trackers. Some of them were because my tastes had changed or uploaders had moved or whatever. Rather than let my account get disabled, I sent a Staff PM explaining that I would no longer be using the tracker and asking for my account to be disabled as I didn't want to take up a space that could be used by a new user. I then confirmed that I would not log in again after sending that message and (hopefully) thanked them and wished them well. I thought that was the best way since it would disable the account asap and put on record why this is.

AbeSimpson

Gold

Earlier this year I found that I'd joined a few too many trackers. Some of them were because my tastes had changed or uploaders had moved or whatever. Rather than let my account get disabled, I sent a Staff PM explaining that I would no longer be using the tracker and asking for my account to be disabled as I didn't want to take up a space that could be used by a new user. I then confirmed that I would not log in again after sending that message and (hopefully) thanked them and wished them well. I thought that was the best way since it would disable the account asap and put on record why this is.
I don't think anyone can find fault with that.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Well, Jammy, I would think it's one of the most polite ways to say goodbye to a place, actually.
Especially when you compare it with how I handled it, I don't think you did anything wrong, really.
At some trackers it can take longer for accounts to be disabled than you might have wanted it too though, especially with the reason you gave for another person being able to take your place.

Betrayed

BTN Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
From staffers perspective:

For newbs being tricked into buying invites (the google search example), you must be incredibly naive/have no source criticism if you believe everything people write on the internet without doing some research about the matter yourself. Hopping to IRC of the tracker for example and asking about it. Users with that particular excuse are lazy and attempting to do things in a way that takes least possible amount of effort regardless of what the rules of the site say about the matter. People that are trying to sell you something before you know them are not your friends, thats just common sense. They'll sugarcoat everything in order to make the sale, "stupid staff never find out" "its ok to buy" "i guarantee for 30 days, money back".

Honesty is still the best option, sometimes you get your money back, seller gets banned, and you get to keep the account. (or have a new one made for you, allowing you to re-register with legit invite is pretty generous as well) There are naturally variety of policies for this across trackers. As Dwarsligger Dwarsligger earlier pointed out "security precautions" of those forums should be enough to deter any sensible person. It literally takes 1 inactivity disabled person on the tree trying to reclaim the account and a question "how did you get invited?" for that tree to get chopped down. No matter how long you've had the account, what kind of user you've been, if you bought it, it'll be gone.

I'll finish up with the usual; if we (BTN) wanted to make money with this, we'd take invites from all users, shut down all recruitment, and sell invites for 50-100€/pop ourselves. Why bother competing with prices when we could have complete monopoly over it? We don't, because profiteering from piracy is despicable. Donations go to running the site/services, not to staffers pockets.
:arrr:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherokee

Willing to Give Trump To Australia
Dark Pirate
Gold

Well, tbh, if I had read that staff message where I staff, I'd have thought it was a bit insulting. It's like, thinking that you're taking up space that could be taken up by a new user shows you don't really know how things work. All trackers have a certain percentage of people who discover that it isn't really what they want, and don't bother using the account. The number of users the place allows already takes these people into account. Most places disable those accounts after a set period of time. At any rate, the real number of members a site can handle has to do with how many the server(s) can handle at one time. If you're not using it, you don't really count, whether or not your account is disabled.

But when you actually send staff a message, you're telling them directly that you don't like their site. Otherwise, we'd never know you were gone (unless we were focused on you for some other reason).

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
Well, tbh, if I had read that staff message where I staff, I'd have thought it was a bit insulting.
But when you actually send staff a message, you're telling them directly that you don't like their site.
That certainly wasn't my intention. I naively thought that was actually better than just not using the account and letting it get disabled. I also thought it might be better for security. In corporate IT accounts are (or should be) disabled as soon as they're no longer needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Sting