The tragedy that is the loss of What.CD

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

Murdog

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
It's so sad. It's just such a loss of Organization, man hours, community, knowledge and information. Most people will miss What more than me, I am so sorry for all your music aficionado's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: deathro and N3v3R

N3v3R

Founder
Founder
Gold
What a huge loss for the community. As other's have said, you just thought it would go on forever. It was like home to many musicians and music lovers. After Oink got hit, I remember people scrambling to find a tracker to fill it's shoes, for months this went on. Then out of the ashes came two brilliant trackers, what.cd and waffles.fm. It didn't take long for what.cd to steal the hearts and minds of the pirates. After they coded gazelle, their staff turned it into one of the best experiences a tracker can give. The staff was always helpful and knowledgeable, and it's growth took on it's own force. It was steady as a drum beat until it's recent redline. Much love, admiration and respect to all the the crew and members at What.cd. Gone but not forgotten. Pce

Aids10

n0 pr3y, n0 p4y
Recruiter
Gold
Bloody shame, never got a chance to use my buffer :arghh:

This better not foreshadow a mass of other seizures!

How many neutral countries are left these days?

Hope waffles returns soon :sword2:

AbeSimpson

Gold
This is really a tragic loss. When I first got into What.CD it was only as a stepping stone to other great trackers. Over time I really did learn to appreciate it as much as any tracker I currently have. Our only hope is that somewhere, somebody has managed to keep a copy of the data and it can be somehow restored. I'm hoping that all that great information won't be lost forever.

0X007F

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
It's been a few days, and I'm still crestfallen. I had several TB of buffer and could not care less about that. I didn't even have any music I wanted to download -- it was the community that I am sorely missing.

R.I.P. :-(

everfang

The Nicest Guy
Administrator
Gold
The analogy of this being a library really hits home with me. Especially with all the vinyl and obscure music that was uploaded with high quality control, it is such a shame that something so monumental was deemed punishable. I understand that, yes, due to copyright it was illegal, but to metaphorically burn down so much cultural information/property should be a crime, too.

Though not accessible to the public, record labels obviously do have records and backups of all their music, so at least that's there... But to have such a giant collection all under one roof was unprecedented.

Maybe in the future something of similar scale will be made without fear of a takedown. Spotify still has a long way to go to match the content of What, but here's to hoping something even more accessible will rise from the ashes of the What library that was burned to the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: thedeh and Capone

L’appel du vide

Geronimo!
Shipmate
Gold
Besides losing all the work put into What, the worst is knowing that there's plenty of content which will never surface again, probably contributed by folks who once uploaded diligently but have since become too busy or disinterested in filesharing to bother making it into the next site and duplicating that effort yet again.

• Agree
Reactions: thedeh and Capone

ZebTM

Buccaneer
Gold
I got into the private tracker world later than most people did, but What.CD has been my sole source of music for the past 3 years, and more importantly acted as my entrypoint into the world of private trackers. There are other options for finding music, other have mentioned rutracker and I've personally begun using soulseek which seems to work well, but as a central pillar in the private tracker world nothing will ever be able to replace What. It will be missed.

patrick

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
This came as a total surprise to me. Shocked really. It was a great resource and will be missed.

mustelid

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I know there is a subreddit that is a "refugee" for what.cd members, and people are asked to provide their proofs (screens), ratios, usernames, even their signup emails. However, the consensus seems to be that pretty much no one has been getting replies back (it's been over a week now or more).

Should I even bother looking for the signup email I have somewhere? I have my tracker proof from last July, thankfully, and my username also shows in the 2011 graphic someone had posted on a WCD reddit. I am worried that it's just a phishing scam. If you want me to find the link and post it, I will, but for now I'm not going to bother since the likely answer is going to be "no, don't do it". But I do know from a huge number of my tracker irc rooms, that people have been sending info to the refugee thread like crazy...early on they were getting responses, but now, nothing. Seems shady.

I really don't know where to go from here. Everyone is saying "try to get into Waffles"...then I get people telling me Waffles sucks. I am a flac collector only, so my options are limited, but at the same time, I have flac to share, which makes it sort of a cool thing since a lot of people just don't have the flacs.

I never expected What to not be there, but here we are. If my main tv tracker ever goes down, I am going to be one unhappy camper. Through cancer and heart failure, I have honestly believed that tv and music have saved or at least helped me in ways that surgeries and medicines never could have.

SHA-1

Buccaneer
Gold
Should I even bother looking for the signup email I have somewhere? I have my tracker proof from last July, thankfully, and my username also shows in the 2011 graphic someone had posted on a WCD reddit. I am worried that it's just a phishing scam.
If your talking about the one I'm thinking of; saw a screeny floating around already from a thread where someone tried to start a pyramid-invitescheme to get each other into PTH. Kinda surprised me (if this is true of course), because from what I saw of the sub mentioned on trackers/IRC I was convinced the guys that started the sub were good users looking to band the community and create the next What.

Anyways that's probably the lesson, stay away from the known bad places & be aware of possible bad users in the good places. See if you can get into Xanax, users got invites there today. You might be able to connect with some old Whatbuddies there :)

parrothead

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
yea sucks I was at waffles and what since the week they opened and now the only music tracker I got left is exigo :(

SternPIrate

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
There is tracker recruitment for PTH on BTN now and I do have to say that it is amazing to see the rallying of old What.cd users working hard to bring back a strong community and great releases. PTH seems promising and may even outpace and outgrow WC over time... We shall see!

R4I

Hmmmm
Pirate
Gold
What a huge loss for the community. As other's have said, you just thought it would go on forever. It was like home to many musicians and music lovers. After Oink got hit, I remember people scrambling to find a tracker to fill it's shoes, for months this went on. Then out of the ashes came two brilliant trackers, what.cd and waffles.fm. It didn't take long for what.cd to steal the hearts and minds of the pirates. After they coded gazelle, their staff turned it into one of the best experiences a tracker can give. The staff was always helpful and knowledgeable, and it's growth took on it's own force. It was steady as a drum beat until it's recent redline. Much love, admiration and respect to all the the crew and members at What.cd. Gone but not forgotten. Pce
A small story,

Before what.cd and waffles.fm's belonged to the same group. But one team was not happy with waffles.fm coding and wanted something new. And thats how what.cd came into existence :p hehe BT History :p

Ah good old days ^_^

Reactions: SHA-1

mustelid

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Calling it a library, is sort of okay, since a lot of times when you want a book at the local library - no matter how big the library is - you often have to wait and get it from another library, as they are all networked nowadays, and they lend books out to each other when they aren't digitally scanned. If someone wasn't aware of this, they definitely do this, including universities and all. It's been this way for quite a while. When you think about it, it's really not a lot different than trackers when it comes down to it when they do this (except it's IRL and not instant). Just something to think about.

As far as PTH, it is looking good so far, but has a long way to go, ofc. They have a lot to get to, and instead of just being a clone, they are making difference from the ground up (or some would say improvements, some would say mistakes (everyone's a critic)...)...

At least people are trying. I hope it works out.

When they shut down TextBookTorrents and then Library.nu, I was way more upset. I finally got on Bib, and I am pained to see that it is a barely active place, with very little content compared to the other two (Lib.nu was not a tracker, but still, had tons of content). I am not understanding why there isn't a tracker out there that caters to non-fiction medical, veterinary, scientific, just...all the non-fiction books, old and new, that are out there...I know they are there, but somehow, no tracker really exists t serve that niche! How long has it been!?

Lessons need to be learned in security, we have so many options now with cloud servers and all - hopefully we can implement something for the backbone of the torrent site, where even if they take down a site, it will just come back up (possibly with data loss in the database, but w/e)...you know what I mean. Take that entire paragraph with an entire shaker of salt! :3

Last edited:

atref

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
logging into nostream, you log on of PTH. The fight for a place WCD continues
[doublepost=1483576541][/doublepost]logging into nostream, you log on of PTH. The fight for a place WCD continues

arber

Devil's Advocate
Buccaneer
Gold
is a great loss guys for the torrent world but life continues so new tracker will rise up.