The TPS "No Movement List" Facts and Fiction

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
There's been talk about our list from time to time, so I just wanted to clarify what it represents, and for that matter, what it doesn't represent. First, a little history (which TPS members know already) . Prior to its creation, there was no such thing at other invite forums. At those forums, you could offer or request any tracker, and at times that offer or request would be against tracker rules and the offerer or recipient would get himself banned from the tracker. Some invite forums then decided to hide their activities, by asking members to use different nicknames as from their trackers, and asking that usernames and stats be blacked out on "ratio proofs," so they wouldn't get caught by trackers. (No matter. These "dodgy forums" would get infiltrated by trackers and people still got banned by using them.)

When N3v3R created TPS in 2008, he created something totally different. Though TPS was basically an "invite forum" back then, he openly encouraged tracker staff to join TPS and have a say in how they'd like TPS to be run. So if the staff of those trackers didn't want invites to their tracker given out at TPS, they were put on what was called the "No Movement List" and on one could offer or request invites from those trackers. Those who do anyway, got an infraction and the thread was closed and trashed. Now in exchange, we offered to let those staffers have recruitment for their trackers at TPS and they often did. Then we went further. If a tracker owner or admin contacted one of the staff and asked that their tracker be placed on the NML, we'd do it without question. Again, we would then reciprocate and ask that tracker owner if he'd like any of his staff joining TPS as a "Community Rep" and if he'd like to have recruitment at TPS. Sometimes they'd agree, and sometimes not.

Over the years, the NML has evolved, as some trackers actually changed their mind and allowed invites to be offered at TPS, as others decided they didn't want their invites offered here. I also note a gradual evolution in the handling of invites by trackers. In the beginning, the tracker rules usually just said "No public giveaways." To me, that means not doing the invite offer on a public forum or website. TPS is not such a place. Other trackers only allowed offers on "class-restricted forums on private trackers only." (like Power User forums). Some trackers are so stringent they don't want to see invite offers anywhere and to only offer them to your friends, in private.

Well I've said many a time, that's what TPS can do for members. It offers an opportunity for torrenters to meet and get to know each other, and in those cases , members may invite their friends to their trackers in private. In my opinion this does not break any tracker rules. (I note that once meeting someone here at TPS, also get to know them at your trackers, and look at their track record at their trackers.) Our invite section is actually a small part of TPS today, and not used very much at all.

Now here is what our "No Movement List" is not. A tracker may have on their rules "no invite offers on torrent forums," but if none of our staff are members of that tracker, and the tracker staff have never interacted with any of the staff, we aren't going to put it on the No Movement List. There are just too many trackers out there for us to keep track of all of their individual rules. Trackers which go on that list have to be at the request of the tracker's staff. Now if a TPS member has an invite to such a tracker, I just suggest that member respect his tracker's rules and not offer it. Now when it comes to requests, again, I can't expect a non-member to know the rules of a tracker that he hasn't joined yet. I just ask the member to respect our No-Movement List.

Now I pose this to our tracker staff friends. It has come to my attention that someone offered an invite to a tracker not on our No-Movement List, and then this person eventually got banned. Now I also understand there were some other issues going on, but using that as an example, I also would like any tracker out there who doesn't want their invites offered here to just contact us, via IRC in #tps-help, or by sending us a Staff PM (which can be done by non-members), or by sending a PM on any tracker common to you and us. Rather than just banning people who offer those invites here, let's talk and make it a formal placement on the NML. I also will say again to our members, just because a tracker is not on the NML doesn't mean it's "safe" to offer an invite to that tracker. If it's against the rules of the tracker, we can't help you get your account back. Offer those invites to the friends you know and trust, in private, the way trackers ask you to.

Cherokee

Willing to Give Trump To Australia
Dark Pirate
Gold
That seems fair enough. It's up to members of trackers to familiarize themselves with those trackers' rules that they belong to. I do think that a lot of times people just forget which ones are particular in what way. But trackers aren't obligated to have anyone as a member.

• Agree
Reactions: jammyone

Joe

^5
Shipmate
Gold
Firstly thanks, this was much needed and it should be strictly followed that's what makes TPS out of crowd. They respect the wishes of tracker, you are just a PM away. Secondly I feel sorry the member who got banned, a friendly advice to those who wants to offer invites is to please reconfirm from the trackers whether it's within their policy to invite or else it will be a trouble for you as well as TPS.

My main intention to join TPS was to come across some pirates and learn from them. Since I have to take a very long journey and it wouldn't have been possible to meet all of them in one place. So it serving my purpose and it's always good to see staff/admin from other tracker spend their leisure over here and share their views. And those who says TPS is just a invite forum then I would say you haven't discovered the gems yet.

Antomon

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Thanks for useful information, i always love to learn how things work from inside and what has lead to current state.

N3v3R had really brilliant idea how to set this forum apart from others and i like how current staff is still consistent to those basic principles all this years, making TPS reputable and great community.

Thanks for everything guys.

trefla

Captain
Captain
Gold
They just want to make it harder for us to get to certain trackers, but worry not my brethrens we will prevail sooner or later!

cherwonk

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Open, closed, invites, no invites... Trackers are trackers, some get the releases as soon as they are out.... others get them a couple hours later. I've belonged to literally hundreds of trackers over the years. I'll tell you what makes a good one, its mates... if you've got your mates there you are happy there. I got a PM from a friend just recently, he was disillusioned with the site he was on, he wanted to know if I'd code one for him. I had to decline because of my predicament. But I did PM him back, I told him that all he really needed was shared server and a shoutbox. Content is available everywhere these days.
The old days was when it would be advantageous to be on one of the top tier sites. Even then you'd get the releases in a couple days.... I can only think of a handful of "sites" that have exclusive content, content where you most likely wont ever see on another site. But those you also wont see any invites floating around.
This place isnt even a tracker, but it has community. It has spirit and decent members, people you could call friends, people who actually were your friends at one time. I would rate TPS head over heels above 90% of the trackers out there. We dont have content, you guys all go else where for that.

Sting

Captain
Captain
Gold
I feel sympathy for the person that lost their account and will be sure to check individual tracker rules before passing on invites. Nowadays I mistakenly assume that all tracker rules for inviting users are the same and you often forget about that one tracker which stands out from the crowd.

Transparency is such a simple concept and I wish we weren't the only ones to adopt a NML. I guess these other forums want to operate purely under perverse incentives showing no regard to their members, knowing full well that the premise of access to the 'holy land of trackers' will be such a strong drawcard. In my mind these places shouldn't be described as a community, people will come and go so quickly when they inevitably get screwed.

On a slightly unrelated issue, I also noticed that some trackers on the NML are referred to in abbreviations while others aren't. Do these sites not want to be mentioned by their full names? Not that it's a big deal, I often only refer to trackers in their abbreviated form, but just thought I'd seek clarification on the issue while we're on the topic.

antrax3434

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Open, closed, invites, no invites... Trackers are trackers, some get the releases as soon as they are out.... others get them a couple hours later. I've belonged to literally hundreds of trackers over the years. I'll tell you what makes a good one, its mates... if you've got your mates there you are happy there. I got a PM from a friend just recently, he was disillusioned with the site he was on, he wanted to know if I'd code one for him. I had to decline because of my predicament. But I did PM him back, I told him that all he really needed was shared server and a shoutbox. Content is available everywhere these days.
The old days was when it would be advantageous to be on one of the top tier sites. Even then you'd get the releases in a couple days.... I can only think of a handful of "sites" that have exclusive content, content where you most likely wont ever see on another site. But those you also wont see any invites floating around.
This place isnt even a tracker, but it has community. It has spirit and decent members, people you could call friends, people who actually were your friends at one time. I would rate TPS head over heels above 90% of the trackers out there. We dont have content, you guys all go else where for that.
What kind of exclusive content that you can't find on others sites? Do you mean early big movies or tv series that have been leaked/captured/recorded or just obscure movies/niche content that nobody really care?

Last edited:

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
What kind of exclusive content that you can't find on others sites?
The one I always think of when I hear this question is AOM which only takes professional magicians as members. I assume they have material different to that on other trackers which I guess includes 'secrets' of magic and performances that could be dangerous for novices. Rumour is they have less than 600 members.

Reactions: ZebTM

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
On a slightly unrelated issue, I also noticed that some trackers on the NML are referred to in abbreviations while others aren't. Do these sites not want to be mentioned by their full names? Not that it's a big deal, I often only refer to trackers in their abbreviated form, but just thought I'd seek clarification on the issue while we're on the topic.
There's no reason for it, abbrevations were used and the later added were written in full, it has nothing to do with rules. ;)

Reactions: Sting