The Superman Drive: Escaping Windows and Embracing Linux

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

glurk

CN Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Both Ubuntu and Mint make the prompt pretty much optional, if you decide to give a lot of power out of your hands, that is. :>

DeepBlueMorocco

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
More praise for gmusicbrowser - still handling 105,000+ tracks without a single hiccup, and I just worked out how to batch replace where %genre% = "avantgarde" to "Avant-Garde" which corrected over 20,000 tracks with a single click. Previously a task like that required manually correcting one album at a time as I've 4-6 genres simultaneously tagged to each LP (e.g. Modern Classical; Avant-Garde; Berlin School; Minimalism; Drone; Electroacoustic; Ambient)

While the majority of the packages were installable from the Software Center, there was still a fair amount of tweaking and customization done via the Terminal, so I would say that GUI-only activities are a bit limiting in their scope.

WitherSlick

1 Doge = 1 Doge
Ex Staff
Gold
You made the right choice moving to linux. I would rather my computer be able to do less things and only contain free software than for it to do more things with paid software.

The very idea of free software is much more appealing than locked down software where you honestly don't have any control over it. At least not in windows 10. You can disable tons of things a dozen different ways and data will still be flowing back to microsoft. Xubuntu is working very well for me personally. It's actually a beautiful OS.

Reactions: DeepBlueMorocco

Xpress

ShipDude
Captain
Gold
Update Triple Play: I am on cloud 9. Couldn't be more delighted.

With my Ubuntu install complete, all app packages running smoothly and configured to my liking, I looked up how to backup my configuration - all apps and settings included.

Of course - there's an app for that.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install aptik

The back up of my entire OS config (sans the .ISO) took just over 30 seconds and the resulting archive is a whopping 29MB.

I should have done this YEARS ago.
All apps and settings in a 29 MB file? That doesn't sound right..

DeepBlueMorocco

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
It was amusing - the plaintext /.config file for gmusicbrowser logs 35 data points for each track in a user's library (bitrate, length, playcount, etc). Once my catalog had fully loaded into the application, the config file inflated to 39.5MB (for that one plain text file).

But hands down - the convenience of single-click backup / restoration that downloads and installs all of your packages and restores all software settings, and the compact, portable size of the metadata bkp; this is really beautiful stuff.