The Secret World of WDMA Sites

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

R4I

Hmmmm
Pirate
Gold
This thread is starting to look like the ones at UNF. ;)

P.S. No disrespect to UNF meant. ;)
UNF is a league of high class collectors :tease:

Meant to hurt feelings lol :troll-83:

Adding more spice :p Ol man hehe :piratetongue:

BTW where is Mudslinger :p hiding THESE DAYS lol :p

Once more Secret site known as DOM any one knows about it?
heheh

:treasure:

R4I

Hmmmm
Pirate
Gold
Well What you guys think about these Hidden tracker being so exclusive!
and how do these trackers become so big! and wanted!
?????????????????????

CMMurrayIsDead

Captain
Captain
Gold
Yes That would be a main reason behind it!

But these days communities have gone to FB and whats app!

BT communities are dying out slowly tbh :S
Honestly, the only BT communities that are dying are ones that offer nothing special for the users, be it content and/or community. Most good filesharing sites are thriving, IMO.

Also, forum/IRC culture isn't dying (it stopped being "popular" years ago), it's just become more of a niche thing these days, at least in comparison to the mid-to-late 00s on back. Nothing wrong with that, but I see where you're coming from.

R4I

Hmmmm
Pirate
Gold
Well True its correct I would say! But I have seen less dedication by new comers Including me. We have become some what lazy and are not dedicated as these old guys were!

boosie

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I would have to agree with CMMurrayIsDead on this. I think the ones that are dying are either the ones that offer nothing special (as stated), the ones getting taken down by governments, or the ones that have went down and try to make a comeback but something has already taken its place.

The strongest BT communities share and want to share with others. I think its funny that many private BT communities lose site in that, and seem to focus on things other than the sharing and growing. (like who is on my site and we can only have A,B,C, anything else you are banned) Of course there are always security risks and certain rules that make a place great, but the whole point of a community is to share and grow together - if no one in the community is doing either of those things, they don't belong there.

Lets move back to the sharing is caring framework that these communities were built on. I think they are not thriving, but sustaining. No thriving community or group can push away members who may have things to offer, but no thriving group can be saturated with members who don't add to the positive cause. Looks like I just contradicted myself there. (this must be the predicament private BT communities share)

Just my 2 cents to the dolla.

R4I

Hmmmm
Pirate
Gold
I would have to agree with CMMurrayIsDead on this. I think the ones that are dying are either the ones that offer nothing special (as stated), the ones getting taken down by governments, or the ones that have went down and try to make a comeback but something has already taken its place.

The strongest BT communities share and want to share with others. I think its funny that many private BT communities lose site in that, and seem to focus on things other than the sharing and growing. (like who is on my site and we can only have A,B,C, anything else you are banned) Of course there are always security risks and certain rules that make a place great, but the whole point of a community is to share and grow together - if no one in the community is doing either of those things, they don't belong there.

Lets move back to the sharing is caring framework that these communities were built on. I think they are not thriving, but sustaining. No thriving community or group can push away members who may have things to offer, but no thriving group can be saturated with members who don't add to the positive cause. Looks like I just contradicted myself there. (this must be the predicament private BT communities share)

Just my 2 cents to the dolla.

Well I used to staff at two places which were taken down by MPAA and FACT so it part of the game :) Thank god I am out of the game now :pirateswhistle:
Well there is a new trend now in the bt community. Where 250 to 300 members make a site of their own and Upload which is really in demand!
So these days security is given more importance than never before and which means more closed door for new members!

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
Honestly, the only BT communities that are dying are ones that offer nothing special for the users, be it content and/or community.
Where there were trackers before with good internal releases it's seems to move to some trackers on crossroads where just stuff is uploaded from all others, the sooner the better. You pick a file up now and just see that exact same file on a dozen other trackers. That's also a reason people won't join 'the community' anymore on those new trackers, there simply is none.

Well there is a new trend now in the bt community. Where 250 to 300 members make a site of their own and Upload which is really in demand!
Same as above, why create tons of trackers, big or small, when it's just grab and upload somewhere else? They're the same files just coming in slower and dying faster on a small tracker with just 250 members. What's to gain from it? There's just too much out there already as it is.

R4I

Hmmmm
Pirate
Gold
Honestly, the only BT communities that are dying are ones that offer nothing special for the users, be it content and/or community.
Where there were trackers before with good internal releases it's seems to move to some trackers on crossroads where just stuff is uploaded from all others, the sooner the better. You pick a file up now and just see that exact same file on a dozen other trackers. That's also a reason people won't join 'the community' anymore on those new trackers, there simply is none.

Same as above, why create tons of trackers, big or small, when it's just grab and upload somewhere else? They're the same files just coming in slower and dying faster on a small tracker with just 250 members. What's to gain from it? There's just too much out there already as it is.
well its not about sharing! especially small sites they are for like minded people and friends :)

MaDTaZ

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
I have been a member of a few ftp sites. The only think I didnt like about them was there was no community. What I like about the super secret ones is the old guys they are great to chat with ( no I am not a part of them over the year have been invited to a few irc chats) I have been doing this since 1990 from the BBS days and a small community. I remember just connecting to the bbs to chat and look at ansi art lol

People make the journey fun the movies or tv shows just are an added bonus

Cheers

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Started reading this topic last night, couldn't finish it, finished today, what a trip! Thanks to anyone who contributed to this thread!

For me, I also remember the BBS systems. I had some buddies who used their AMIGA computers to download the newest stuff.
Games/programs were usually between 1 and 5 MB in filesize, always zipped or rarred on servers :)

And yes, it was always full of ANSI art, if that's the term :) This was even before the Internet was actively presented as a product :)

As for WDMA, just discovered what that stands for lol :)
I can understand the allure to such places :)

Reactions: othersna

marmalade

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
Yes a good article and nice that most information hasnt slipped out but there is some confusion between scene/wdma and P2p some sites are hybrids and contain members from many differing community sites..chain sites are a good example as with wdma they have evolved over time some using multiple download methods and indeed some cross linked ftp sites tha dont belong to any type of community they are of themselves so to speak and like it that way.

AbeSimpson

Gold

I see this more and more as I join new sites. There is only so much content out there. So many sites are just repeating what's already available elsewhere.

YoungBoy

Castaway
New Recruit
Gold
I am member in 3 of called "WDMA" forums-trackers my opinion is that you cannot find anythink that does not exist in "normal" trackers simply try to build an air of secrecy.