The Secret World of WDMA Sites

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Disclaimer: This article was based on information which came from Internet blogs, message boards, and personal communications, so much of what is written is probably “Folklore,” and I cannot verify the accuracy. But it sure makes for a good story! ;) As per the Public Blog guidelines I am leaving out names and URLs which would identify these places.

About two years ago, I was browsing a popular torrent forum, when I saw a request for a tracker, where the requester asked for “S**** , a.k.a. P****, a.k.a. I**** . No one had ever heard of this tracker before, and therefore there were lots of question asked about what this place is, and what it was about. The requester mysteriously wrote that the place was a “secret” place, and that he could not write the actual names, but a member of the place would be able to recognize it immediately.

Because this was the first time this place was ever mentioned on a torrent forum, threads quickly came up at other places, including TPS asking what it was, but no one knew what it was. Now a member sent me a PM saying he did not know what it was, but another forum posted the URL and he gave me the URL. So I went to the URL, and it looked like a website with comic strips of a kid wearing a skull mask. (weird) There was a place to log in, so I suppose this was the “fake” page. But what was inside? At TPS we have a section called “Ask Us Anything,” where members can ask questions to staff and tracker reps in private, and I asked about the place, and no one knew.

Another mysterious request popped up later. I had not heard of this place, and it was said to have “rare vinyl music rips.” I tried to do a quick Google search (as I did with the first place) and nothing popped up. Then recently at TPS, a member made a request for a General Tracker that I had also never heard of. What were these mysterious places that don’t show up on any lists of trackers or even on Google searches?

Well recently I finally found out, and am sharing it with you (without revealing specific names). The story begins in 1999, when a forum was created called “Something Awful.” This forum became popular for making Internet Memes and sayings, like “All your ___ belong to us.” Shortly after Bram Cohen created the BitTorrent Protocol, but before big trackers like The Pirate Bay were created, the forum made a filesharing section called the “BitTorrent Barnyard.” This section became enormously popular and the owners became concerned about the legality of what they were doing, and shut the section down. Now is where the folklore part comes in. Allegedly, members of the forum, also known as “The Goons,” created a separate torrent site, and called it “WDMA,” for “Where Da Movies At?” They got the idea for the name because new members to Something Awful would log in and ask that question, thinking the BitTorrent Barnyard was still there. Then as quickly as it came up, WDMA also shut down. I have read stories about drama that caused its closing, and some stories saying WDMA was just a myth.

After WDMA supposedly shut down, some of the members then created various filesharing sites that today are known as WDMA sites, or WDMA trackers. These were those mysterious places that sometimes come up in invite requests than no one knows anything about. It is not clear if these places are forums with DDL links, or if they have torrents, but they are more forum based and are designed differently than the private trackers I am used to using. (Which use versions of TBDev or Gazelle as platforms.) These places are so secret that nothing about what is inside is anywhere on the open internet. Anything I know about them have been told to me by PM, and much told to me is based on what was told by others. It is said that anyone who talks about them is immediately banned, and anyone requesting them anywhere will be found out and banned after acceptance, as will be the inviters. But the thing that I find fascinating is the level of secrecy that the places keep. Even the most “secret” of private trackers have some information somewhere out there, and these trackers do try to seek out new members or else they will stagnate and die. Honestly, some of these trackers are stagnating a bit already. So how do WDMA sites stay so secret, but still stay alive all these years? (They pre-date the beginning of the oldest private trackers.)

Perhaps the places may just be myths after all. ;)

Last edited:

blah

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
made a thread about moot.ly before because I was in the same boat as you with never hearing about it before or after for that matter. WDMA trackers...heh, so much on the net that I'm completely oblivious about

leme

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
What if I told you there are places to get warez you've never heard of? For example in the deep web? What if the trackers are still ratioless because everyone seeds forever because they have no fear of being hunted down and therefore invite their IRL noob friends which also seed forever?
I really hoped that some i2p private tracker would pop up some day because I already have bad dreams that the MPAA will shut down PTP some day.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
What if I told you there are places to get warez you've never heard of? For example in the deep web? What if the trackers are still ratioless because everyone seeds forever because they have no fear of being hunted down and therefore invite their IRL noob friends which also seed forever?
I really hoped that some i2p private tracker would pop up some day because I already have bad dreams that the MPAA will shut down PTP some day.
I would only be interested if these places had the same as or more than the number of movies at PTP. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: dieNal and trozugi

MaKeR

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I would only be interested if these places had the same as or more than the number of movies at PTP. ;)

Nice post, but rest assured the most predated tracker still survives upto date and has changed urls a couple of times ;).

And the content of some of the wdma trackers is not all that exclusive so to speak. its just most of them are home to dinosaurs age old people, who are said to be founders of the torrenting world.

Reactions: Flubber

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold

Nice post, but rest assured the most predated tracker still survives upto date and has changed urls a couple of times ;).

And the content of some of the wdma trackers is not all that exclusive so to speak. its just most of them are home to dinosaurs age old people, who are said to be founders of the torrenting world.

Must explain the "rare vinyl rips" at the music place - Sinatra, Tommy Dorsey etc. ;) ;) (just speculating)

Reactions: trozugi

MaKeR

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold

Must explain the "rare vinyl rips" at the music place - Sinatra, Tommy Dorsey etc. ;) ;) (just speculating)
indeed.... just because a site is closed,url kept hidden and not found on google search doesnt mean it has something special to offer. it only means they are asking people to chase them ;) or there level of paranoia is leagues ahead of the normal front faced BT private trackers. In doing say they dream to be "icons" or "symbols" of prestige.

sure if u like Sinatra u would chase them ;).

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
^ I used that video as source material for my article. It ends with the end of the original WDMA and doesn't go into what happened next. (I believe that video is from 2006)

MThePuppet

Greatness is Contagious
Community Rep
Gold
^ I used that video as source material for my article. It ends with the end of the original WDMA and doesn't go into what happened next. (I believe that video is from 2006)
Yep. Thats quite old video. But these WDMA sites make the whole Bit Torrent a great mystery. But all we pirates want is to get the latest movies and games as early we can. So untill that keeps happening. I would rather say these WDMA sites, if there are any, should remain private. Just keep uploading those great releases guys :p
Its better that the original sources remain anonymous as possible to keep things runnin. ;)

g3733738

open.cd Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
There're some forums in China like these. They share movies at their ftps and some of them have private trackers ,too.(but I don't think they are WDMA sites.)
Yes, I remember that I know some music sharing sites , they do not want to everyone knows about them.You can't use search engine to find them.

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Stop looking for them, they don't want to be found...lol. Whats wrong with you people! If they could be found by normal means they would not be serving their purpose :p Before anyone asks, I know nothing about WDMA. I am happy to get my content from private BT sites or where ever.

QAI

Caporegime
Captain
Gold
Stop looking for them, they don't want to be found...lol. Whats wrong with you people! If they could be found by normal means they would not be serving their purpose :p Before anyone asks, I know nothing about WDMA. I am happy to get my content from private BT sites or where ever.
This +1

urworstenemy

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
what a mistery, i want to join some of these places just for curiosity but i get most of the things i want from private trackers.

SeedMonster

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Hangin with the dinosaur level BBS old timers would be cool. I remember using Dialup to ring into a server for games and lightwave, crap like that back in the 90s. I personally like how easy BT is. Just wish the internet was faster... the speed of light is just not fast enough lol ;P Just waiting for the next big thing :)

zzenn

Violent Retribution for Accidental Infringement
Ex Staff
Gold
More and more secret networks will arise in response to the witch hunt on file sharers. Based on a variety of protocols.

It may not be possible to keep 100% secret, but by using stringent security standards and changing access modes / locations each time someone is excluded, it's certainly possible to stay enigmatic.
I have no idea what WDMA sites do though :)