Apply for membership
anonxxx

anonxxx

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
2 0 0
The loss of What.CD was the loss of the greatest collection of music ever created, but there was another effect of its demise: accessibility to the private tracker community diminished severely afterward as well. Anyone new to the community would be advised to take What's interview, even if their interest in music wasn't that high, simply because succeeding there pretty much assured entry to almost anywhere they wanted to be. That gateway is gone now.

Looking back at how active TPS used to be circa 2008-2009 it seems TPS played a much larger role in facilitating the entry to this thing of ours. I have no idea how many trackers were recruiting from TPS back then, but there still seems to be a certain level of coziness between tracker staff & the staff here. The difference however is the number of members this board sees on a regular basis. All around me are familiar faces. While not necessarily a bad thing, it goes to show that new users don't see TPS as an avenue for entry. Either that, or interest in private trackers has regressed substantially since then & there simply isn't the same swath of new blood ready to be pumped into the system.

If the latter is the truth the reason for that seems to be pretty obvious: the advent of streaming platforms. Back then Netflix wasn't the behemoth we know today & neither was Hulu. Spotify? UK only. Pandora? Nowhere near as popular as today. Apple Music? Didn't exist. Long story short, people had more reasons to pirate then than they do now. While I believe that's a big part of the downturn in popularity here, I believe that both of the aforementioned issues contributed to the lack of interest. Besides, there's still the issue of new members coming directly to TPS.

Reddit seems to be the popular means of entry nowadays, at least on the inside looking out. There are tons of new invite threads on /r/invites, plenty of discussion on /r/trackers, etc. I'm not sure how well off other "invite forums" are doing but it seems to me the majority of them are trading / selling boards in the first place so probably not stellar. TPS doesn't seem to put its face at the forefront of these places to let users know "hey, we can help you out too." Word of mouth is the only way I'd even heard of this place when I was a wee lad to private trackers (6 months ago this month).

So my question is this: Does TPS want to fill the void that What's death opened? Or is it content with playing the cut & letting people find their own way? The current & previous staff obviously differ & maybe the vision changed with the people in charge, but I'm curious as to how the runners of this board think nowadays. Thanks for reading.
[doublepost=1486128517][/doublepost]I totally agree with Spacely there are indeed way more platforms in 2017 to get content "legally", however piracy will never die as content restriction and geographical segmentation all comes into play so public/private tracker sites would always fill the void of avvid pirates who need to share, seed and distribute content back to the community,

jomas

jomas

Trump's Meatloaf Kingpin
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
90 4 0
I agree with most of what spacely said about TPS taking the lead i myself joined private tracker last year around same time as u..& im hearing about TPS on irc through a friend about 2 weeks ago, PTS is the forum for discussions on private trackers & it has good relations with other trackers too but whenever u are looking to news or anything related to trackers shady forums are top linked, i bet most good,long term users wouldnt even know about this forum.

Now making the forum just as a stepping stone for other trackers is a bit stupid too but the incredible gap left open which no-one is willing to fill makes it difficult for users to get into private trackers in the first place.The reason i think piracy especially in private tracking world have gone down is because as i wrote up whenever u search anything related to trackers even for a review not even reddit pops up but the other(not so reputable forums) pops up which falsely leads a new user to believe into thinking "yes this is my gateway into other galaxy".But the poor schmuck never knows this is the thing that will get him/her banned from the "utopia galaxy".thedeh made very good points about teh user's economic demographics these days which could be affecting the activity in tracker scene these days.

I mean u cant get self righteous after gaining into top-tier trackers through invites urself using the other trackers as step-stone & then get pissed at people who want to do the same,its so comical when old users do this pretentious crap.Why so much morality now that u r TM/ELITE on ur favourite top tracker,so in short vacuum of reliable portal that can connect avid/new/old users & also have positive terms with trackers is need of time, people getting stingy when getting it all is also a good reason y private tracker is slowing down too.Be good help newbies guide them, its very easy to act big when u made it & mock or belittle(discourage even sometimes to) new users that they have got a long way to go etc. A forum like tps could fill that shoes in, if it dares that is.

Last edited:
Spartak

Spartak

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
40 0 0
As I mentioned in introduction post I am in private trackers for 7 years now, and just few weeks ago registered here. Didn't know there was other communityes. There was more of them few years ago, now mostly gone. I am a part of similar community but for balkan region from which I entered tracking world and am a part of them for 5 years now.

B

buguidiboe

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
2 0 0
[doublepost=1486128517][/doublepost]
I totally agree with Spacely there are indeed way more platforms in 2017 to get content "legally", however piracy will never die as content restriction and geographical segmentation all comes into play so public/private tracker sites would always fill the void of avvid pirates who need to share, seed and distribute content back to the community,

That's right. I think this works just like economy, silly restrictions create black markets and underground business. As long as media and content remains chained and gagged, piracy will survive. If controls weren't too tight, only then, piracy would start to have its existence threatened. Availability and quality of the content governs the whole matter, and piracy still hasn't a comparable contender.

I think piracy is not going anywhere in the near future. And if it were to happen, he who beat it must have been a pretty good contender. It's not a footbal team, we just seek quality and community, and we'll always have spaces for both of these, legal or not. "Legal" doen't equal "right", neither does "pirate" equal "wrong".