The Pirate Society, a privilege. Not a Right.

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

Orotorix

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Thanks to all the staff for all their hard work. This forum is amazing because of both the community and staff members, and the relationships maintained between the two groups. (I don't mean to say that staff aren't part of the community)

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
If I hadn't witnesses some IRC chats in TPS I would have questioned why the first post even needs to be said. Figured it was just common sense and common courtesy. Its easy to forget that some people hale from different cultures and can come off as rude. But when i see someone who has an excellent grasp of english being abusive, I instantly think its a kid. Its always a surprise when the person turns out to be an adult.

They always get offended to be called a kid too. Since they are acting like children, I don't think its wrong of me to call them kids? Lol ok I don't really do that. I do ask if they are a kid though. Worst memory of IRC was having this HUGE argument with some dude. After a while it got so serious I wanted to meet this asshole in real life so I could pound on his head. Turned out he was 15 or 16 or something. Oh man how embarrassing! My anger dissolved in an instant and i felt like an idiot for getting so angry at a kid...LOL

Anyways, A lot of peeps have posted what to do. Here are some DON'T DO's!

Member DO NOT guide lines.
1. If you fail with one staffer, and you want to try another, make sure you tell them who u have contacted and what was said!
2. In IRC if you want to chat directly to someone, be sure to ask first. Some do not like strangers or people just PM'ing them without asking (or a warning first)
3. Even if all else fails and you want to argue in forums, remain polite and civil at all times. Your sitting behind a PC, its easy to swear your mouth off and use that persons name in vain verbally, while remaining civil and courteous via typing.
4. You are not special, the staffer is only special in the same way all volunteers are special. We are all just people, so treat each other like that.

These can come from the other end (hope no one finds it too rich for me to say the below).

New Staffer Guidelines
1. As a staffer you represent the site. Its very hard at times to remain calm and polite. If you can't handle it, stop, politely tell the person you need to go away and think a bit more about whatever before you can continue. Make a time and place to communicate.
2. If you feel things are just not going right, bring in your mentor or another "level headed" staffer you respect to mediate
3. Its very easy to retaliate when you are abused. Best way is to stop the person, tell them how you feel about their behavior politely. Try and calm them down. Never resort to personal attacks (unless you're the sysop+).
4. Keep in mind when a member wants help, they are usually already upset or frustrated, and so they can be a little abrupt or rude, try and calm them down, assure them your job is to help them, you are on their side.

Please don't take the above as some form of self adulation or expertise on my part. The stars know I fail a lot at the above points myself. End of the day we are all human. So long as it never gets personal, it can always get fixed. Get personal though, and yea not even the politest of staffers will help you. We ARE volunteers and at the end of the day, if I don't want to deal with a whinny little teenager, then put simply I just won't...lol

Apologies for my long post. Dont post much, but they seem to be essays...yes I know I have wicked issues :p

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
People who pitch a fit at staff and make a scene are usually selfish, entitled morons. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but when someone just pops off for no apparent reason, especially when they engage any and all comers, it's usually a good indication that they think they're better or more deserving than everyone else. I can tell you from experience that they are not, regardless of what they think. They assume they can get what they want by having a tantrum, and that's the dead giveaway that they were never punished properly in their youth for being little pricks.

PseudoChris

The Buddha
Shipmate
Gold
While I haven't personally had a lot of time to be as active as I'd like to on this site in recent time, I still truly appreciate what this site did for me when I was first introduced to the private scene. I have made a lot of friends and learned an enormous amount through the connections I only could have gained from my access to TPS.
So it is really great to see that the site is still running on its core principles and those in charge of its daily function aren't pandering to third parties or any swarms of grossly entitled users.

Thank you to everyone who makes this site what it was meant to be. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this great place. I only hope that I can give at least some of what I've received here, because I am truly grateful for it.

Reactions: thedeh

semicolon

TehC Rep
Community Rep
Gold
I have no ideas who or what the OP is referring to, but I could guess it may have something to do with someone we recently dealt with.
It was interesting that the user in my instance came on here and asked me to look into it, review the case and then have a word to the original staff member.

Decisions are made by tracker and forum staff for good reason. On TC we have 2 other channels we can vent into if there is a user in support who is annoying us. Decisions are not made heat of the moment and are definitely not made out of anger.

As mentioned by dakka and others, if you are not happy with a decision, wait a day or 2, then go back and ask to talk to the original staff member. If they refuse or get arrogant, go above them and ask for review. But do this politely. We are not your slaves. We do have lives outside our respective sites. And occasionally we do make mistakes too. However, we are less likely to listen if someone spent their efforts going round slagging us off.

I haven't spent a lot of time on here primarily because I do have a site to look after, a job, and then family etc. But I do keep an eye on the posts and will likely retire here I think.

Great site :D

N3v3R

Founder
Founder
Gold
What a great blog post. It's amazing how far TPS has come since it's humble beginnings and what it means to so many people. I personally remember how difficult it was to gain the staff's trust. I understood how difficult it was for them because around that time was an insane amount of cheating and trading of their invites. Once staff felt comfortable it seemed like an unbreakable grass roots friendship over time. I've been raising my children the last few years but always remembered how many friends I had back in this community. I still can't believe this place grew like it did. From hacking my way to installing vBulletin, getting my first signups, first members that actually wanted to be staff, the ups and downs even...it's all be something special. I'm so proud of this place and the members, I don't think anyone really knows how much.

//N3v3R//

justinius23

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
now i want the gossip! the way i see it, people who join this sit/community are lucky to be here. it doesn't guarantee them ANYTHING. the staff and mods here seem very lenient compared to some i've seen in action. i dunno, young people these days seem to have a built-in sense of entitlement that just doesn't fly with most people.

Reactions: thedeh