The Pirate Society, a privilege. Not a Right.

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

Evolbor

Panama Red
Administrator
Gold
So in the years that I have been part of TPS, I have made a point to myself to keep away from the public blog. For personal reasons, I believe the Public Blog can be a bit intimidating at times. However I come here often and read more than what I comment or reply to it.

Today I want to make a short exception to that personal rule. Today I want quickly to talk about The Pirate Society, and what it means to me and to some of us that have worked for years to have this massive vessel, where is it at, and what it is today.

We have established relationships across many different communities, and we have been able to make friends that will truly last a life time.

The knowledge that I have been able to acquire here and thru here has been paramount to me. Not to mention the friendships that I have been able to cultivate (no pun intended) out of this community I will take with me for the eternities.

Now having said all of this, and I wish I could have time to say more. I have come across recently, with instances of members in this community, who have absolutely no regard for the effort and the hard work that has been behind all of this, in order for it to be what it is today. And what it could become tomorrow.

I fail to see why some members specially a few newer ones, continue to feel, act, post and address staff, as if we are here to care for them just like an overly protective mother holding a sicking child.

Staff is here to help you thru the TPS experience, staff is not here to be treated as shit.

Having said all of this, I want to thank those that have come in here throughout the years and last few months, and that have a legitimate desire to make this a better community.

Negativity is like cancer. Spreads and kills everything that is good and positive.

That said, if you have issues, problems or something to say to staff that is not friendly, positive or just plain criticism, then that should be done via PM, and NOT on posts on the forum.

The reason given, is just use of common sense.

Don't bite the hand that feeds ya.

TPS is a privilege, NOT a Right.

Last edited:

Antomon

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
One part of problem is reasons why specific users signed up into TPS.

You have to be aware that to some users TPS is just stepping stone in getting invites to the trackers. They aren't interested in community, they aren't here to make friends. In their eyes TPS isn't better/worse as any other torrent invites forum. They read what they have to do to get access to invite part of forum and they think they are set. They get frustrated when they see that have work on this "rating". Reason why this kind of memebers join TPS is that TPS actually has good reputation thanks to you guys.

You as part of moderator team probably seen countless topic/replays created just for sake of raising post count. Rating system keeps them at bay for some time becasue they have to atleast pretend to be insterested in community.

While i'm sure you guys (whole team) are trying to get new members from best possible sources, even this sources tend to have this "bad" users.

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold

You have to be aware that to some users TPS is just stepping stone in getting invites to the trackers. They aren't interested in community, they aren't here to make friends. In their eyes TPS isn't better/worse as any other torrent invites forum. They read what they have to do to get access to invite part of forum and they think they are set. They get frustrated when they see that have work on this "rating". Reason why this kind of memebers join TPS is that TPS actually has good reputation thanks to you guys.

You as part of moderator team probably seen countless topic/replays created just for sake of raising post count. Rating system keeps them at bay for some time becasue they have to atleast pretend to be insterested in community.

While i'm sure you guys (whole team) are trying to get new members from best possible sources, even this sources tend to have this "bad" users.
While you might be right to some degree, I think you're probably overestimating the number of these members we have.

For a long time now the invites at TPS have been de-emphasized. As someone who reviews the applications and operates recruitment on trackers, I can tell you first-hand that the vast majority of people that join TPS don't join for the invites section. This is blatantly obvious when their application already contains profile links to all the top trackers, or when we're recruiting from the top trackers. People that are this well established already have access to all the invites they want through tracker invite forums. And to be honest, those that come in with nothing, from sources such as Reddit, usually just get rejected.

If you join with nothing but invites in mind, and you spam your way to the invites section without any meaningful contribution to the site, you're going to end up disappointed. While we have some excellent trackers in recruitment and/or the invites section, we have nothing that you can't get elsewhere. If you're here to do the bare minimum just for access to our pretty much unused invites section, you're doing it wrong.

TPS today is all about networking. A place where those of us who share a common interest can meet and get to know each other, discuss torrenting news, trackers, technology, current events, entertainment, and the various other topics of the day. We're a central place were you can get to know people in our community that you might never otherwise meet, despite sharing a common interest. In doing so, you will eventually build the connections that will get you into pretty much any tracker out there. If this is how you see TPS, you have an excellent future ahead of you.

PirateRog

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
In my opinion being part of any community is always a privilege not a right. You have to earn your place thats the whole point or concept of being a community member.
I joined TPS not for invites but for the community here. TPS has every thing we need to discuss about Torrenting and much more. I have always got my answer from here either in public section or in private section.
For me the whole selling point of TPS is its vast KB with an added bonus of invite section ofc. If someone is considering it as an stepping stone than please have a look around and you will find what you are missing.

MadeOfPaper

Castaway
Shipmate
Gold
I'm one of the new members here and i don't feel like that the staff have to watch over me or something when i get my invite to the pirate society first of all i was clear with my self about my purpose to get in maybe you are site based on invites and some members want to join the site for this reason but for me it never was for this the purpose was to get in site where i can talk with people and feel like they are my friends so i don't thinks that the members are the same

Reactions: Evolbor

Onizuka

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Nice Blog post Evolbor Evolbor . I agree with you though I have to admit that I haven't seen many bad posts/users here though I certainly don't read every section of TPS.
Anyway, true words spoken :).

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
TPS is a forum first, before anything else. On a tracker, the primary attraction is the torrents, which is a major reason why the forums usually have single digit percentages of users who participate. On a dedicated forum, however, there should be more active posters, on average. Those who lurk typically either are looking for answers without engaging, or are afraid to commit and jump into things.

Granted, I was staffing at private sites before TPS existed, so invites were never an attraction for me anyway, but I stay here log after retiring from staffing because of the community. Yes, I probably have a little more leeway to speak my mind than most people because of my history, but I still go out of my way to show respect to TPS staff, even when I disagree with them, because they don't have to let me stay here any more than they have to let anyone else. If I act like an asshat, I fully expect to be treated like one.

kiran2b

Elite VIP
Shipmate
Gold
Joined here just now!
After downloading, uploading and seeding alot at other trackers, i was looking for the tracker like this since few months, where we can openly discuss things and share my thoughts. I am very happy to be a part of TPS, after seeing some good stuffs here. Surely i am gonna read all the stuffs, discuss things as much i can and enjoy my stay here.

Last edited:

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
Even though I have not seen many disrespectful posts on here, I was surprised at the leniency and forbearance of the staff, to the posts I did see. Showing disrespect to staff anywhere is just bad form. These folks give one of the most precious commodities - their time - so that a site can run, and in the case of TPS, run extremely smoothly. I know a couple of places where I wish I could import the TPS staff.
But what this proves, is that someone does not need to be a "bad" user to be an intolerable "asshat" (an expression I learnt here :D ). And civility and respect are not necessarily attributes of top trackers members.

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
The general staff disposition here is what it should be at any site. This is the way I ran my torrent sites and my forum. I believe in giving people a chance to either redeem or hang themselves, because sometimes a person could just be having a bad day, so I'll give them a chance to cool down and back off. Of course, I've heard many times that I'm more of an exception than a rule, but hey, that just means people will respect me more for treating people like people.

ZebTM

Buccaneer
Gold
I view relations between staff and community members of any community as a two way street. community members should be respectful of staff because of their hard work in making the site possible, and staff should also be respectful to their community members because without them they would not have a site!

I have great respect for the staff at TPS and most of thee trackers I have been on. I had one tracker I was on where staff was disrespectful to me on a few occasions when I was trying to be helpful and, well, now I spend my effort contributing to different trackers instead :) They seem to be getting on just fine without me at any rate. But I have also seen several internet communities where staff was so disrespectful that the community either disbanded or community members made a new site with different staff. I do not see that happening with TPS though, I have seen nothing but good things from the staff here and have much respect :)

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Wonderful post Evolbor and I feel the same way. Don't take anything for granted. I think it applies to most things in lift, tbh.
Then again, most people seem to be unaware of what they have till it's gone.

When I first set foot in here, I literally had no idea what to expect. Never heard of the place, was just told that 'it's cool' by the guy who vouched for me, and he was right. Met some greet peops here and I believe there are asshats around but haven't seen many of them. Viva la TPS!!

MorTal

DEATH iS ALWAYS TEH ANSWER
Pirate
Gold
I came here for a few different reasons.

1. I was looking for ideas on new projects.
2. Looking to meet one and learn more knowledge on the world or trackers (How people began to share and what they did in the first times of sharing.)
3. Fun and laughter

To me invites are a plus because I did get a few from here to place I wanted for a bit now. But if one come here just looking for them, sorry you in the wrong spot. It took me a bit to learn how this place works and since then I have met a few good people along the way. I wish to learn and have alot more fun in the future.

TPS - means to me ---- -- ---- Place for fun sharing ideas and helping out online and in real life!

Reactions: thedeh and Evolbor

Janner

Captain
Captain
Gold

Which is why all the latest recruitment came from some of the top trackers. We are already in most (if not all) the trackers we want, and if not can usually find what we want on the invite forums of these trackers.

Personally, I joined to hook up with like minded guys and so that I could keep abreast of all the latest news in the torrenting world.:arrr:
[DOUBLEPOST=1449335517][/DOUBLEPOST]
While you might be right to some degree, I think you're probably overestimating the number of these members we have.

For a long time now the invites at TPS have been de-emphasized. As someone who reviews the applications and operates recruitment on trackers, I can tell you first-hand that the vast majority of people that join TPS don't join for the invites section. This is blatantly obvious when their application already contains profile links to all the top trackers, or when we're recruiting from the top trackers. People that are this well established already have access to all the invites they want through tracker invite forums. And to be honest, those that come in with nothing, from sources such as Reddit, usually just get rejected.

If you join with nothing but invites in mind, and you spam your way to the invites section without any meaningful contribution to the site, you're going to end up disappointed. While we have some excellent trackers in recruitment and/or the invites section, we have nothing that you can't get elsewhere. If you're here to do the bare minimum just for access to our pretty much unused invites section, you're doing it wrong.

TPS today is all about networking. A place where those of us who share a common interest can meet and get to know each other, discuss torrenting news, trackers, technology, current events, entertainment, and the various other topics of the day. We're a central place were you can get to know people in our community that you might never otherwise meet, despite sharing a common interest. In doing so, you will eventually build the connections that will get you into pretty much any tracker out there. If this is how you see TPS, you have an excellent future ahead of you.

:oops: If I had just read down to the next post, it contains more or less what I said above. Could have just ticked the 'agree' button (actually I have done that as well:p). You guys knew what you were doing when you recruited new blood from the top trackers.
[DOUBLEPOST=1449336299][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now having said all of this, and I wish I could have time to say more. I have come across recently, with instances of members in this community, who have absolutely no regard for the effort and the hard work that has been behind all of this, in order for it to be what it is today. And what it could become tomorrow.

I fail to see why some members specially a few newer ones, continue to feel, act, post and address staff, as if we are here to care for them just like an overly protective mother holding a sicking child.

Staff is here to help you thru the TPS experience, staff is not here to be treated as shit.

Having said all of this, I want to thank those that have come in here throughout the years and last few months, and that have a legitimate desire to make this a better community.

Negativity is like cancer. Spreads and kills everything that is good and positive.

That said, if you have issues, problems or something to say to staff that is not friendly, positive or just plain criticism, then that should be done via PM, and NOT on posts on the forum.

The reason given, is just use of common sense.

Don't bite the hand that feeds ya.

TPS is a privilege, NOT a Right.
I agree 100%. Maybe it shows some immaturity of some users. They grew up in a world with chatrooms, forums etc. My rule of thumb is - treat someone online exactly the same way you would face to face. If you would be scared shitless at saying something to them in person, then don't say it and hide behind an ip address. There is nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism as long as it is just that - constructive, and put forward in a nice mannered and respectful way.
Criticising anyone in public in a disrespectful way, especially staff, is a big no-no. In real life, at work for example, you wouldn't shout at someone in front of colleagues - you would take it to a private room. So do the same here - do it in private, as chances are you are more likely to embarrass yourself than the other person - and word soon gets around the community. Just play nice.

:explosion:Rant over.

Last edited:

Evolbor

Panama Red
Administrator
Gold
I agree Janner Janner , we have had countless instances, in which members disagree, and even argue with staff. This is all good, as long as is not in an open way. This does not apply when disagreeing with someone on a specific forum topic, such as in the News and Politics section, it can get heated there at times (at least it used to). There is a place and a time for everything. And talking shit to staff or about staff, out in the open is not ever one of those times. That shit is just plain high school drama behavior,

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
There is a place and a time for everything. And talking shit to staff or about staff, out in the open is not ever one of those times.
When someone feels like any of our staffers is not treating them correctly or fair I suggest they send a pm as Evolbor Evolbor mentioned before or open a support ticket stating your problem. Everyone that ever pm'ed anyone of us knows we answer them and try to help out, same goes for support tickets.
Other things that might upset people like warnings/forum restrictions/temp bans/permanent bans are always staff decisions and never solitary ones, so they always come with a reason. We as staff always talk with each other before any action is taken, even on the smallest of things, so we all hear each others opinions and views. Those decisions can still be argued with or proven wrong by any member (with some decent info on why it's wrong) but keep in mind it's not helping you when you start to attack any single staff member over it.
The above btw doesn't only apply to TPS staff but to tracker staff as well: they also do take decisions with reasoning behind it and this is also not the place to personally attack them to get some sort of revenge, anyone can talk free here about any problems they encountered with trackers but only as long as it's in a civil way.

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
Those decisions can still be argued with or proven wrong by any member (with some decent info on why it's wrong) but keep in mind it's not helping you when you start to attack any single staff member over it.
Just to expand on this... I'm quite happy for people to take their grievances to the open forum. But do it in the proper way.

The way I see proper protocol for complaints is;
  1. First and foremost, try to resolve it with the moderator in question. We're not perfect and sometimes we don't see the whole picture. If you're able to respectfully articulate your problem with the staff member you have a problem with, you'd be surprised how often they will be receptive.
  2. If you still have problems, or if you feel the issue has become too heated to discuss it with the original staffer, contact an administrator. If the staffer you were dealing with was already an admin, contact a different one. Explain the issue and try to resolve it through them.
  3. If the admins aren't able to satisfy your grievance, in very rare cases, contact a Sysop. Generally this should only be done if you really feel you were treated unfairly, and not if you just didn't like the outcome. The administrators have our full support and confidence to manage the userbase, and it is unlikely we will overrule an admin decision. Sysops are responsible for server administration, site development, and setting overarching site policy. We already spend countless hours operating the site, and getting up to speed on your issue just discover it was a waste of time is not something I want to be doing. Day-to-day management is left to the admin/mod team.
  4. If all else fails, feel free to take your grievance to the open forum and see if the members support you. I think we do a pretty good job at making fair decisions, and I'm fine with putting our decision up for scrutiny. But please do so respectfully. We've always said that we will reevaluate almost any decision/policy with majority support of the members (obviously some things are nonnegotiable, such as the NML).
In summary, it's fine to openly question our decisions. But only after you've reasonably and respectfully attempted to resolve any issues with us in private. If you react with righteous indignation, disrespect our staff or tracker staff, and publicly undermine staff without trying to resolve it with us properly first (as the member who was the inspiration for this blog recently did), it's unlikely we will be receptive to your issue (especially if it's a decision we made for the safety of the rest of our members).

LadyCuddles

* TPSR IDJC Radio Sensei *
Gold
I guess, for being a more "stealth" or "silent" moderator here, I haven't seen much of what is being said. But, I do completely agree with the first response made by thedeh thedeh .

The Pirate Society is first, and foremost, a community. Which is not the same as a community for a tracker. On some trackers, the community is stricly based on the site itself, and topics of other trackers, can be ill-advised.

Here, as it isn't tracker specific, the topics can be broad, and span multiple trackers. "We" also honor other trackers in their decisions, which can be bothersome, and tedious. This "honoring" can made "us" look like we make decisions and dictate things, in which, we are just following decisions of those other trackers. Case in point, one tracker I remember, gave wishes to have its name never mentioned, in which, the governing parties here, honored. Some took this as censorship, some as a stiffling of freedoms of speech.

To close this, all I can say is, that TPS is extremely open minded, and freedoms are not taken lightly. Many times, conflicts are left to resolve themselves, and only when debates turn into full-fledged flame or hate wars, is anything really done. I don't think that can be said for any tracker forums.