Apply for membership
marigold

marigold

Administrator
Administrator
Gold
Reactions
1,987 5 4
Think most peeps don't wanna have their PC turned on round the clock and/or invest in seedbox.
I think you are correct about that, but if a person is a steady consumer of media, (cinema, music, literature) the price of a seedbox pales compared to the cost of that media. I hate to count the times I plopped down 8+ bucks for a book (years ago) only to find out that it really really was not worth reading. Nowadays, when I'm going to the cinema with a partner (never mind kids) I will pay more for one outing than 2 month worth of seedbox. So really, when seeding from home is not an option, a seedbox certainly is a viable one.

Bobby

Bobby

Buccaneer
Gold
Reactions
262 0 1
'm very interested to know if you guys talk about pirating with your friends, neighbors co-workers or strangers in general.
I don't bring it up. I've never met another person in real life that's even aware of things like private trackers.

oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,494 4 9
I'm very interested to know if you guys talk about pirating with your friends, neighbors co-workers or strangers in general.

In Iran piracy is socially acceptable and it's nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

I have 4-6 IRL friends that are somewhat active in torrenting community, maybe it's because we talk about piracy more openly?
I'd say most Thai people look at you with a surprised face if you spend a lot of money on media.
Piracy hasn't evolved that much here tracker wise, just look at any tracker and you'll hardly (if any) see Thai users.
They're still using CDs to burn movies to, and the only well known ripper around these parts seems to be YIFY.
People do talk openly about it though, but it's usually not a very interesting topic for most people.
Usually conversations are about the food and weather :)

smores

smores

Captain
Gold
Reactions
496 1 0
I'm very interested to know if you guys talk about pirating with your friends, neighbors co-workers or strangers in general.
I talk about piracy with my friends and co-workers. Most of them are not using private trackers but most of them use either public trackers or Kodi with plugins such as Exodus etc.
Actually a lot of the talking about piracy is more of how you watch the content and what hardware do you use for it, and less on from where you get it. Like if you're using Kodi on a RPi or you use Popcorn Time with a PC or Plex, etc etc.

I think you are correct about that, but if a person is a steady consumer of media, (cinema, music, literature) the price of a seedbox pales compared to the cost of that media. I hate to count the times I plopped down 8+ bucks for a book (years ago) only to find out that it really really was not worth reading. Nowadays, when I'm going to the cinema with a partner (never mind kids) I will pay more for one outing than 2 month worth of seedbox. So really, when seeding from home is not an option, a seedbox certainly is a viable one.
I totally agree with you. But from people I talk with, they still find it hard to understand it, they don't really do that comparison with spending money on cinema etc, they are thinking more like "but if you can do it for free so why paying for it".
I think that you understand the idea of spending money on seedbox only when you're really into private trackers.

cutelittlecorgis

cutelittlecorgis

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
4 0 0
When I was in middle/high school and super broke, along with friends who were also in high school and super broke, I used to talk about piracy a lot. This was before Napster existed and before Napster got shut down, so there wasn't as much of a stigma toward it. I introduced a good friend of mine to online gaming back in its infancy and to getting warez via IRC and Usenet. He was in the same boat as me, dirt broke and excited to get stuff for free. Both of us ending up making good use of it in terms of using the knowledge we gained to propel ourselves to a career in tech.

However, Napster and some other services got shut down, and people started getting sued. On top of that, I also ended up going to college in an upper-middle class suburban area where people weren't as broke, so people were more inclined to buy things. Ever since that point, I mostly stopped talking about it.

I think not talking about it much since then has ended up doing me well. When I was younger, I was proud to have access to warez and sometimes bragged about it. However, I eventually figured out that the more you get other people involved in knowing what you have access to, the more you start downloading things for the sake of those other people. You start downloading games, movies, music, etc. just because "someone might want this someday" or "so and so might be really impressed if I have a collection of this".

When you hit that point, you start hoarding a load of stuff without ever actually doing anything with it. For me, it was burning a crapton of CDs and DVDs with games, apps, and movies that I (and no one else) ended up using. I probably filled a landfill with all the stuff that I burned.

When you think about getting real friends into piracy, you have to ask yourself -- are they going to run into similar challenges you yourself have experienced with piracy? If they do, how are they going to handle it? There's always an opportunity cost involved in the amount of effort put into pirating and the amount of time that can be consumed by having access to so much content.

Put another way, getting real friends involved with piracy is like trying to get a friend introduced to a recreational drug. Do you trust this person to use this responsibly and not go overboard? Is this person going to make a complete ass out of himself if he figures how to do these things?

The friend I introduced to warez via IRC and Usenet in high school gave me my first invite to a private tracker last year. Because he knows I've known of piracy for a long time, he knew there wouldn't be an issue giving me an invite. I wouldn't hesitate in giving him an invite to any of the trackers I'm on either. However, for most other people, it probably wouldn't be worth the potential hassle.

antimist

antimist

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
19 0 0
When you hit that point, you start hoarding a load of stuff without ever actually doing anything with it. For me, it was burning a crapton of CDs and DVDs with games, apps, and movies that I (and no one else) ended up using. I probably filled a landfill with all the stuff that I burned.
This is a big thing really, I probably got sucked into at some point, but luckily for me it was books. But after a while, I realized that what's the point of downloading a book, which to me feels like an addiction. I now barely download much, and if I do, I normally do it for a good reason.

shanjan

shanjan

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
368 3 0
the more you start downloading things for the sake of those other people.
hmmm, I have a different experience.

I joined private trackers(IPT ...) around 2007 and the reason I got in WCD(and subsequently PTP BiB HDB BTN ...) was because I wanted to grab some high quality FLACs for my friend and he couldn't pass the interview.:p

If it wasn't for it I would've never had access to this much HQ materials.

caracalla

caracalla

Legatus Legionis
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
74 0 0
I wouldn't hand out any invites to my RL friends they just don't understand the values behind sharing and all that but friends Ive made here or on the private trackers i am with, Id give to much easier.

R4I

R4I

I'M A 3.5" CHODE
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
152 0 7
I made some friends :) Bt friends become real friends. :) Met them in real life and some spoke to them on whats app.

^_^

peteyb

peteyb

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
383 0 2
Personally, I enjoy getting content for friends, it helps me justify this "hobby" to myself and they certainly appreciate it. Don't think any of them cares enough about quality to join private trackers themselves, however.

Stu

Stu

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
27 0 1
This has been a very interesting thread. Here are my 2c.

I have invited 1 online friend, and 3 real-life friends, to private trackers. None of them have gone inactive, but 2 of the real-life friends are really struggling when it comes to maintaining their ratios. We're talking 0.4 and 0.6 - not warning territory for the tracker I put them on, but still not good. I have explained to them many times that they need to leave their computer turned on and to let the torrents seed back. Explained how they will accumulate bonus points that they can trade for upload credit. But sadly they came from the public tracker world and have just not cared. They aren't too tech/internet-savvy either (not saying that you have to be, but it helps imo). As long as they are not getting warned they don't care. It is sad, and I wish I could almost take their accounts from them.

The online friend is a guy I had known for around 5 months before we even talked about torrenting, and he carried the conversation well. I didn't assume that he was seeking an invite from me (and I wasn't advertising the fact I had invites anyway).

I, in turn, have received invites to a couple of sites from some online acquaintances. Never gone inactive on any of them, but sadly not as active on a couple as I should be, though still have very good ratios.

To expect that invites should only be given out to real-life friends is a bit unbelievable in my opinion, and it is just a matter of getting to know someone enough to learn what you might expect of them. See how they behave, see how they choose to communicate and see if they would make a good recruit.

QW1620

QW1620

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
30 0 0
I've always made it a habit of keeping online and offline separate with one exception but that back fired
the person became abusive and I ended it. Some people can't handle offline interaction so probably best to
invite people you meet online I don't plan on giving any invites offline and never have... There is always the how
reliable can a person in real life be? to me in real life some people are not very dependable so they likely won't be online either.

Stu

Stu

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
27 0 1
Well in real life you have people that either ask you to get stuff for them or perhaps you just download stuff regardless to give to them.. but as you have that real-life connection you kinda go "screw it" and give them an invite so they can just get stuff for themselves, as after all the years you've been pirating you are actually getting tired of getting stuff for other people. I think that is what happened for those two poor performers of mine. Again, that real-life connection has the possibility to give you a false sense of security. Learned my lesson.

Sevenn

Sevenn

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
21 0 0
i don't have real life friends(and i mean someone that i can rely on) any-more, they died :(, and the online ones i consider palls or mates

Parham

Parham

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
16 0 0
i had a friend i guess the one who i could rely on him or at least i thought like that. soon enough i figured it out that friends in this world can be more dangerous than enemies. i've seen some people mentioned "make friends" . just don't. it's not bad to have a friend, but it would be way better if you're the one that the others be looking to make a friendship with. just be nice and some guys who likes communicating will find you finally.

if you're worried about getting into some top tier trackers ( it's not a good reason to make friends, it's result can be even worst if you're going to make friends for that purpose ), just be nice, sometimes chat and someone will likes you believe me, there are always some good players in this world looking for a friend. i had not "any" friend and i joined almost most of top tier trackers easily. and i'm just 10 months in Private Trackers.

but about how many of us, well i know alot in my country who are downloading what they like to watch. almost 99% of young and teenagers doing that! it's so popular but they mostly use public torrent sites..

i'm not that much about society so i don't have any real life friend that i enjoy spend time with.. :slap:

Last edited:
Stu

Stu

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
27 0 1
i don't have real life friends(and i mean someone that i can rely on) any-more, they died :(, and the online ones i consider palls or mates
Sorry to hear to hear about (all?) your RL friends dying. Glad to see you still have some mates/pals. Though hopefully soon you can make another nice RL friend :).

oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,494 4 9
i had a friend i guess the one who i could rely on him or at least i thought like that. soon enough i figured it out that friends in this world can be more dangerous than enemies. i've seen some people mentioned "make friends" . just don't. it's not bad to have a friend, but it would be way better if you're the one that the others be looking to make a friendship with. just be nice and some guys who likes communicating will find you finally.

if you're worried about getting into some top tier trackers ( it's not a good reason to make friends, it's result can be even worst if you're going to make friends for that purpose ), just be nice, sometimes chat and someone will likes you believe me, there are always some good players in this world looking for a friend. i had not "any" friend and i joined almost most of top tier trackers easily. and i'm just 10 months in Private Trackers.

but about how many of us, well i know alot in my country who are downloading what they like to watch. almost 99% of young and teenagers doing that! it's so popular but they mostly use public torrent sites..

i'm not that much about society so i don't have any real life friend that i enjoy spend time with.. :slap:
Parham Parham keeping it real..
"friends in this world can be more dangerous than enemies" church..
Two guys I used to be friends with stole some shit from me, then when I confronted them lying through their teeth.
One of them died (no not because of my vengeful blow lol) and the other, well, we just went our different ways.

The buddies I'd consider inviting that I know from IRL are all worse candidates than the peeps I know ORL (Outta Real Life, you heard the term here first). One is in Germany and terrified to death of anything related to downloading. Another is a Usenetter, translated quote "I pay 5 EUR a month and can leech anything I need at top speeds without any hassle". Others just can't be bothered, they know TPB and seeding long-term isn't something they're particularly interested in.

Guess it has to do with the circles I was in when connecting with certain peeps - though I've been burnt that way too. Some I invited got banned despite looking like what I thought good-to-great candidates. Overall I'd say online peeps you know from torrenting are perhaps less trustworthy than real-live friends who are there when you need them but more likely to seed more/longer, whereas they most likely are less likely to be involved with you personally. Or something like that

theghurka

theghurka

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
51 0 1
Most of my real friends don't even know that trackers exist and probably wouldn't have a clue even if they did. I've only ever invited 3 friends to private trackers.

The first was using public trackers and demonoid so I got him into a few private ones. He was amazed at the speeds and quality over public trackers and has kept a good ratio. Only problem I have with him is that he downloads movies, puts them on dvd and sells them. I've told him he's an idiot. If he gets caught there will be a huge fine and possible prison time plus it links back to the tracker.
The second was using the pirate bay. I invited him to one tracker to see how he went and he didn't understand the concept of private trackers. I told him to use 2 clients, one for private and one for private trackers, but he struggled with the concept of seeding and how to tweak the client settings for private trackers. Unsurprisingly he got banned for low ratio.
The third I invited to one tracker having never used any trackers at all. Despite explaining it in very simple details and putting it all on an email he just couldn't understand it. Account went through lack of use.

My younger friends either go to the cinema or watch stuff through Movie Box. My older friends are not particularly computer savvy and would struggle with torrents. I doubt if I'd ever invite a friend again.

Mjolnir0

Mjolnir0

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
5 0 0
None of my IRL friends use private trackers, but I'm sure they've used public trackers. None are against it, they're just not aware of private trackers. I'm the go-to guy when someone wants a game or movie they can't find.

MorTal

MorTal

DEATH iS ALWAYS TEH ANSWER
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
104 0 5
I have given out a few invites to a couple of RLF over the years. Its hard to do but they want this and that so I gave them the good old Deminoid when it was about and a couple P2P sites to keep them happy. But I also feed those sites with releases and so for them so they never got the good private sites. But hey all those are gone now but a few..Basically if you and your buddy are close they should know what to do and not do its called trust we all do it just some are better at it than others.

SAFETY --- Is the most important these days because the big gov. trying to take out what we been doing for years..

STAY SAFE ..