Real Friends: How Many Of Us?

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

Teslaforce

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
In a perfect world recruitment would let you get into almost all places. This is what I also prefer, but unfortunately it doesn't work for some places, some which are truly amazing content shops (and no, I am not taking about those which are just hyped but have failed to be content leaders over the years). In that case you got no choice but to get an invite through online places like TPS.

The biggest issue with invites gained is banning of an entire tree because of one bad apple. Every obe else could be a model user but if one shady guy exists in the chain, all are done. Luckily many staff understand this, especially the ones which allow tracker PU forum recruitment from members, but it's still a considerable risk.

I have also invited users in the past (mostly to what) and only those who went inactive were disabled. Some of them were actually moving more dats than most too, it's just that they couldn't keep up with real life stuff it seemed after a couple of years etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Matt27

MapleMoose

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I regret inviting thedeh thedeh . He said it was huge and hairy, and he liked to take GIFs of him stroking it, I just didn't realize he meant his beard.

I know two people from this forum IRL and they are the reason I was invited. I will try to do well by them.

More to the point, I have received 2 letters from my ISP for seeding via public trackers, hence asking for help from an IRL friend to hide my activities better. The concept of a tracker being infiltrated and getting that third, decisive letter that will disable my internet from the only cable ISP in town is certainly a daunting prospect. As such, I am all for stringent interviewing and vetting at private trackers, otherwise they aren't really private are they?

God, I feel like new immigrant Trump supporter chanting 'Build The Wall!' :problemo:

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: Evolbor and thedeh

T-Fight

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
My very first private invite was from a work colleague, prob 2006-2007 to a very pink tracker ;-)

i've invited my brother to a few but other than that, no other real people have I met in person.

Some trackers have had actual local meetups but I never went to those. I heard they were really good though.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
I've never met anyone IRL that I would invite to a fracker. I did tell someone where I was getting my movies and he asked me for an invite. TL had open signup at the time so I sent him there. I never did find out if he joined or not.
That's actually a very good way for both the experienced pirates with the invites and the noobs.
One doesn't risk a bid invitee, the other doesn't risk disappointing his inviter and gets the chance to try it out.
It's also a good way to see if he/she 'survives' on a tracker and find their bearings.
Worst case scenario, it doesn't and they lose their account, no one affected but themselves.
Best case scenario, they flourish and after they get to know some peeps and get around they get into more places.
A true win-win.

Got one buddy who's semi-interested. I thought of inviting him but having him check opentrackers. org seems a better way now.
He's good as a friend but his reaction when I mention long term seeding and stuff like that is not very convincing, to say it mildly.

Last edited:

QW1620

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
That's actually a very good way for both the experienced pirates with the invites and the noobs.
One doesn't risk a bid invitee, the other doesn't risk disappointing his inviter and gets the chance to try it out.
It's also a good way to see if he/she 'survives' on a tracker and find their bearings.
Worst case scenario, it doesn't and they lose their account, no one affected but themselves.
Best case scenario, they flourish and after they get to know some peeps and get around they get into more places.
A true win-win.

Got one buddy who's semi-interested. I thought of inviting him but having him check opentrackers. org seems a better way now.
He's good as a friend but his reaction when I mention long term seeding and stuff like that is not very convincing, to say it mildly.
Very well said oklahomaboy spot on... For myself I started out on public then one person online invited me to a private tracker and after awhile building a good rep I ended up with an invite here on my own. :) As for IRL situations I usually don't discuss the topic at all however I do talk about movies just not where I get them or anything specific people like to ask if I seen a movie lol.

Ryzen

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
Due to my experience I would never invite someone from rl again. I rather trust a random a guy with a good reputation which I can be mostly sure he knows what he is doing.
When I invited a friend to the tracker, I thought he knew he was doing. But he leeched of half the site unaware about that ratio system. He leeched so much that he completely destroyed his ratio unable to recover in the warning period. Which got him banned soon after. Then I had to confront the staff with the issue and I got luck to keep my account.

Bobby

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
With real life people it's always been the same story. They inquire where I got all my music from, or how I have such a massive digital collection of movies and tv. I tell them I torrent, private trackers. Then inquire further. I explain a little bit about torrenting. How you need an always on computer, a torrent client, and a decent internet connection. Most people don't make it past me saying you need an always on computer, and the number one response when I'm done with my little explanation is "Oh...I just figured there was an app or something I could download".

Blud

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
With real life people it's always been the same story. They inquire where I got all my music from, or how I have such a massive digital collection of movies and tv. I tell them I torrent, private trackers. Then inquire further. I explain a little bit about torrenting. How you need an always on computer, a torrent client, and a decent internet connection. Most people don't make it past me saying you need an always on computer, and the number one response when I'm done with my little explanation is "Oh...I just figured there was an app or something I could download".
Worst argument "24h of uptime, that costs €€ in electricity" while typing on new 800€+ mobile phone or 1500€ laptop.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Worst argument "24h of uptime, that costs €€ in electricity" while typing on new 800€+ mobile phone or 1500€ laptop.
Penny-wise but pound foolish. The mother in law tries to save a few cents while going to buy fruit at the local market using a lot of gesturing and yelling but drives round in a ridiculously overpriced new car :confused:

On topic, I'd be hard pressed too to invite IRL people. They just don't get it somehow.

• Haha
Reactions: Blud

Winrockks

New Recruit
Gold
I wish I had a friend on trackers so I can ask for some invites! :(

That being said, I have some friends in the music/film industries that I won't bring up trackers with them anytime soon, although I'm sure some of them use them but will probably never admit it.

Blud

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
A friend od mine is an actor, downloads from TPB but also goes to the movies a LOT. He really like seeing them in imax, etc., blu-ray is his last resort :D

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
A friend od mine is an actor, downloads from TPB but also goes to the movies a LOT. He really like seeing them in imax, etc., blu-ray is his last resort :D
Truth be told, I'm never as thrilled by a movie as in I-Max Theatres. Saw The Maze Runner in it a while back and man that shit was intense. Story wise not superb lol but the effects.... man!! It's nothing like watching at home.

Blud

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Truth be told, I'm never as thrilled by a movie as in I-Max Theatres. Saw The Maze Runner in it a while back and man that shit was intense. Story wise not superb lol but the effects.... man!! It's nothing like watching at home.
Unlike him (friend) I never liked cinema, always preffered warm home feeling :) I forgot to make a point that friend advocates "Buy at least one medium" be that bluray, digital or theater ticket, this way you still support them and piracy won't make that big of a hole in budget of film-makers. :) I know he would enjoy PTP and KG but has no devotion for long-term seeding, it's easier to ask me to download it from PTP if he can't find it on public trackers :D

smores

New Recruit
Gold
I recently trying to get one of my friends into this world, he actually gets the whole, idea which is really not trivial, most of my friends just don't get it.
He started pretty good with some general trackers were (almost) everyone can succeed in, like PTP, TL. I hope he'll continue and i'll have my first real life friend that is into PT.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
I recently trying to get one of my friends into this world, he actually gets the whole, idea which is really not trivial, most of my friends just don't get it.
He started pretty good with some general trackers were (almost) everyone can succeed in, like PTP, TL. I hope he'll continue and i'll have my first real life friend that is into PT.
That's awesome. PTP is easy, as long as you just keep seeding. If he gets that and doesn't mind, it's all cool.
Think most peeps don't wanna have their PC turned on round the clock and/or invest in seedbox.

It also happens the other way around, making RL friends because of piracy. Always something to talk about :D

smores

New Recruit
Gold
Think most peeps don't wanna have their PC turned on round the clock and/or invest in seedbox.
Yea this is exactly the problem. He seeds, but not 24/7. So when he will have to deal with H&R systems, it might be a problem.
He really wants to join a Games tracker so I gave him the UGC application link and told him that when he thinks his IPT, TL accounts are good enough he should try to send an application.

It also happens the other way around, making RL friends because of piracy. Always something to talk about
Yea, definitely something to talk about. I never met anyone that I knew from the torrent community. There are plenty of people from my country that are using private trackers but I haven't met even one until now.

Oh, there was one time I met someone that I knew from the piracy world. While I was travelling in South America, I met this guy and while talking we somehow found out that we were both on the same team in an FXP Board. Damn this was long time ago. Anyway, he was a scanner and a filler and I was the hac__... (Shhhh) Don't tell anybody, ok? :p

• Agree
Reactions: oklahomaboy

Bobby

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
That's awesome. PTP is easy, as long as you just keep seeding.
Yes. Any site that gives you bonus points for seeding and lets you buy upload as well is great for noobs. Sites like TL that block new users from the latest uploads, if they still do that, I don't think are great for new people.

Yea, definitely something to talk about. I never met anyone that I knew from the torrent community. There are plenty of people from my country that are using private trackers but I haven't met even one until now.
I've never met anyone in RL that I knew previously from torrenting. I'd like too. Especially the ones from the beginning that helped me out when I was new.

shanjan

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I'm very interested to know if you guys talk about pirating with your friends, neighbors co-workers or strangers in general.

In Iran piracy is socially acceptable and it's nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

I have 4-6 IRL friends that are somewhat active in torrenting community, maybe it's because we talk about piracy more openly?

QW1620

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I'm very interested to know if you guys talk about pirating with your friends, neighbors co-workers or strangers in general.

In Iran piracy is socially acceptable and it's nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

I have 4-6 IRL friends that are somewhat active in torrenting community, maybe it's because we talk about piracy more openly?
I'd prefer to never admit openly to anyone I know about my online activities as one may get greedy and call my butt in ahaha.

Reactions: shanjan