Real Friends: How Many Of Us?

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

odr

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Most of my close personal friends use Kodi to stream their pirated movies and tv shows. They don't care about having the best quality encode available. They have a subscription to Netflix, Cable/Satellite TV and Spotify/Google Music. I have 3 personal friends that use 1 private site each, these are What.CD (hasn't asked me for a PTH invite), SceneAccess, and BrokenStones. I invited one of my best friends to HDBits, he is a movie nut, and was very active until he got a great job, his account was disabled for inactivity.

Demonoid was my first 'private' site, I got my friends in there since they were getting letters from downloading movies from public sites. Then a coworker invited me to OiNK. He would download his torrents at work and got in trouble for that, management noticed the bandwidth usage was high lol. I've since had an obsession to get on the best private sites and keep active on them. I checkin to 12 private sites daily but typically only use 9, the others are backups.

I have taken the risk many times to invite people that I don't know but think I can trust. Some users take off and have great standing accounts, others have been disabled, or not very active. It's hard to filter out the good users from the collectors. I filter requests by researching their account stats, activity, date joined, and simply asking the reason they want to join. I've invited one user that ended up cheating on his account at ScT, that was the closest I've been to being disabled for inviting someone that I didn't know.

At the end of the day, I will still take the risk and invite people who I think will make a good user, since thats how I got my accounts for the most part and I'm paying it forward, without being reckless. Last year I gave out more invites than I ever have. This year I'm becoming busier in life and do not plan to invite many users, unless I know them personally. Recently, I have requested to close accounts that I do not use by contacting staff on IRC, despite donating to the site and having inactivity immunity. If I will not use a site in a way I thought I would, I do not want to appear there.

pbox

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Quite simply none of the people I know IRL would be willing to put in the effort required of the private tracker world simply for pirated content. If a tracker only allows "IRL friends" I will simply not give out invites to that tracker, but I think that policy is moronic.

Beyond that the vast majority of my social interaction is done online, largely due to disabilities I've talked about elsewhere, and many of the people I'd consider my closest friends are people I've never met IRL. My ex-fiancee who I lived with for 3 years was someone I met on an internet forum and didn't meet IRL until we'd been talking for 3 years, long after the point which she'd become me closest friend. She was the one who invited me to what.cd and got me started in this world.

The best user I've ever invited to private trackers is a guy I met on an internet forum in 2009 and have been talking with regularly via steamchat since then, last year I found out he was into private trackers so I invited him somewhere, he did well there, I invited him other places, he did well there too. I would invite him anywhere I had invites to that he wanted. Should I have trusted that guy less than some random guy I've been seeing for an hour every couple months irl for the past year? That doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.
This x100. I've tried inviting friends IRL that seemed to have their shit together technically speaking, yet couldn't grasp the concept behind it all. My best recruits and connections in this pirate underground we all lurk in have been people I don't really even know, apart from their online presences, which has worked out very well in the past. It's like all the guys I game with, none of which I know IRL but definitely mesh with these like-minded individuals more than I do some of my real "friends".

• Agree
Reactions: ZebTM

ZebTM

Buccaneer
Gold
This x100. It's like all the guys I game with, none of which I know IRL but definitely mesh with these like-minded individuals more than I do some of my real "friends".
I think there's definitely something to be said for the "hardcore gamer" mindset carrying over well to the private tracker world. Nearly all my invitees who have done well (including the guy I talked about earlier) were people I met on a gaming forum. I'm also a gamer myself and so was the person who invited me to WCD. I think it's because gamers are accustomed to having to learn and manipulate systems and put in effort to get results in their hobby, so they're more likely to apply that mindset to private trackers instead of expecting instant gratification.

fdemon

Actife Membor
Captain
Gold
I think it's because gamers are accustomed to having to learn and manipulate systems and put in effort to get results in their hobby, so they're more likely to apply that mindset to private trackers instead of expecting instant gratification.
This right here.

Just look at GGn's userclass promotion system. Its modeled after a game, but its really no different than any other promotion system. Its just blatant about it. And fun.

Heyyous

Shipmate
Shipmate
taking a loooong walk along the beach singing mari
Gold
My last blog post was about TPS' role in facilitating entry, but there's a 3rd head of the hydra of What's death that's rearing its ugly head right now: real friends.

I know not a single soul in real life who uses private trackers. Now though, it's the standard in which invites must be dealt on various trackers with more joining that mind state slowly but surely. Maybe some of you have this luxury, but I'd wager that most of you don't know your inviters or invitees in real life either. What's death showed just how dangerous this thing of ours can be & now everyone's holding with their cards very tightly to their chest because the risk is seemingly too high not to. I don't disagree here, but now more than ever it seems like invites are destined to collect dust because of the large lack of trust.

"Make friends" has become the default answer to entry questions since there still isn't & seemingly won't be a central hub for gaining access. I have personally attested to friendship helping me out in the past. However, that person & I don't know each other IRL & I was banned on a tracker because of it. When it happened I was pretty alarmed as one might expect. The staff were cordial about it thankfully, but I was given the 3rd degree about our familiarity. My answers weren't good enough & *poof*, account deactivated. I spoke to said friend about it, thanking him for his generosity & opportunity. I then dropped it because I didn't feel a right to "fight" for my spot. They're the judge, jury, & executioner of their domain. I am no one to question that. The story ends happily with reactivation but some aren't so lucky. I've heard of entire trees biting the dust because the guy at the top used his invites too liberally.

Don't worry; this isn't some gloom & doom tale about stranger danger. It is, however, a cautionary tale with myself as proof that this danger is becoming very real very fast on some of the best trackers out there. TheDeh told me that the last post was my first step in gaining friendship with many here. I was flattered, but having been in the situation I was put in since then I'm now apprehensive on whether this is even worth it or not. My inviter was banned too & I'll be honest: I did feel some culpability for his demise. I don't want to put others in this same position again.

But this is the question of the thread: As more trackers scrutinize friendship how many of you think it's worth the risk to invite despite it? Do you at all?

I've read several threads that speak on the luck or lack thereof with IRL friends & most say that their friends ended up deactivated due to inactivity. As streaming services improve I believe interest will continue to wane. A previous blog asked if trackers faced an existential threat in the government. I think this is the real existential dilemma.

Maybe, rather, hopefully, this is just a phase & the more open system from before will resurface. From the way it's handled now though, I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for reading.
U R a Mere Vessel Accept them into the royal circle. I am HeyZeus.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Tracker safety is key, I get that. However, trackers are taking it too far now.
In wake WCD's demise, there were talks all over the place about replacement trackers.
After having read those, I invited 2 peeps I trust from here.
One was a recruiter for 2 decent trackers at that time and a respected TPS member.
Both me and my inviter got disabled in the wake of this. Invite privs disabled. And I know I'm not the only one.

All this begs the question, when is it safe enough?

The peeps I could invite from real life are unlikely to make for good torrenters.
Seeding? Why would I? Ratio? Huh?? Seedbox? What?? Etc..

anonxxx

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
From my experience invite only your closest friends and drill the rules of the tracker u invite them into their head so they would not get into trouble and break them. Refrain from inviting strangers or friends of friends as these people only seek to come to the community and get noticed join for the sake of getting access to rare content or sell their invite/trade for selfish and monetary gain and giving nothing back to that specific tracker community.

INXDNB

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I can understand bans for purchased accounts, that's self explanatory.. but to discriminate against account holders just because they may not know the person irl is completely stupid and has no justifiable reason.
I've met some great people online who i've still to do this day never met in person, but i count them as genuine friends so what is the actual difference, in my eyes there is no difference other then the fact you haven't met them which doesn't make them any less of a friend.

• Agree
Reactions: SHA-1

Nomi

Cereal Killer
Radio DJ
Gold
i leave you with two familiar phrases
"what? so you leave your pc open all day long? you know thats not good for you laptop right?"

"do you ever rewatch any of your movies? then why aren't you deleting them all from your hard drive?"

:explosion:
DAYUM! THAT FEEL!!! :'(

I'd rather give my invites to 'online' friends than the 'real' world ones.

jomas

Trump's Meatloaf Kingpin
New Recruit
Gold
spacely u have written this essay with a bang up,head-on approach i couldn't have agreed more with u..i qwrote a detailed reply to ur previous blog(the first one) about same thing which u wrote yesterday..didnt ur this one until now u r absolutely right about this..i know a guy who used to have account on a very good tracker the tracker suspected the account was obtained through illicit means so the tracker guy asked for their conversation regarding when they were talking about giving invite to each other luckily the guy used a bouncer meaning he chatted & made friends with the guy(who gave him invite) on irc, using bouncer meant the conversation was saved in their seperate dialog box so he was able to provide proof & save himself but what if he wasnt? then he would have been slapped with a ban & probably a bad rep in community accompanied with it.

Ur blog hits a six out of park reagarding this issue.thank you man for writing THAT.

phish73

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
sorry but you are deluded if you think any kind of restrictive invite system can keep authorities out of any tracker, i dont care how exclusive. they have near unlimited resources, including nsa info, money etc.. there is a million ways they can get in, if they target you, you are dead, sorry, but thats plain and simple. What was targeted because they were too big, too talked about, too notorius, too legendary. for a private tracker to survive, they must remain small, and fly under the radar

• Agree
Reactions: XoG

SelfScientist

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Once a real life friend was invited by me and as expected, his account got pruned because of inactivity.
In contrast with real life friend(s), I've invited several internet friends over the years and so far, I've been lucky with them. They've behaved rather well. :D
In my opinion, the key is to invite active users. If you accidentally invite collectors then there's a pretty good chance of their account getting pruned due to inactivity.

Murdog

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Odd thing where i live in southern ontario i've never met anyone irl that does not torrent at least publicly and i was able to easily explain ratio freeleech and such and invite to the private world. I don't know if i am lucky or it's the relaxed attitude where i live incada about piracy mainly torrenting, but i find everyone and their mother does it, and i would say 50% public 25% public with a vpn and 25% private. LOL the other day my bud started a college computer course and one kid said he got the books from a private tracker i think the geeks of bitspyder and made a fb group with a dropbox link for everyone. So thankfully i've always had trustworthy irl people to teach/give/get invites from.

On the irl friends not i think this needs to change to NO FORUM FRIENDS if and have a set time you need to know them.

Like 2 years.
Must be friends on facebook.
Must know real name and where they live
Must know about his friends and family his job and education

some other added ones must chat on a messager often or play online games together and chat on head set.

like i get it it should never be i meet this cool guy on irc that likes hd movies ill invite him LOL.

but i know a few guys on irc for 10+ years and met a few of them talk to them almost every day on facebook messenger or skype bought birthday gifts from and been given loaned money and been paid back know all there family drama play online games and chat with on headset all the time. you bet your ass i trust them more then some people i have met irl lol.

And a few guys i met playing xbox halo 3 i'm going to be best man at his wedding.

I think even if you don't meeeeeet someone irl or if u do meet them online and then irl after you can for sure call them a friend and trust them and i think the wording for who you can invite should change a slight bit.

Simply if you know everything about someone talk to them daily outside of a forum or irc and known them for years that should count at a friend even if there a world apart.

But not irc only forum only friends because you just never know.

Once you get talking daily and snapchatting stupid shit sending pics of things talking over voice and video are facebook friends u game with daily on xbone or steam on mic for years and shit THAT IS A FRIEND LOL

Tho even with irl friends into private trackers i got in the big 3 legit no invites all from recruiters interviews but i go very lucky and replied to quickly and everything was still recruiting i hit a perfect window for some it going to take 10x as long as it took me. But i get it they can't be relaxed for security sake but it the wording of a friend needs to change a bit for this digital age. Just like to apply to a site you must meet requirements lol your knowing a person should as well and it should be up to the site. lol but then anyone can just lie about how they know you or if met irl and bla bla bla just for fuck sake invite people you truly know and can call a friend and not some cool person you meet online lol. I have yet to invite a bad user a few inactive ones but if truly know someone it should be ok.

dontforget

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
The people I know either torrent from public trackers or get their content from other people. I don't think it is realistic to expect them to follow all the rules like ratio and hit and runs, so so far I have not talked about private trackers with anyone.

MorTal

DEATH iS ALWAYS TEH ANSWER
Pirate
Gold
"Real-Friends" So I have been doing this for over 10+ years I have to say I have got to known a-lot of people that screwed me over and I have met a-lot that have not. Most people in the private tracker world ten TBH about there life but there are a few snakes that are looking for gain. I do not belong to the top big tracker but never asked. I was lucky to get into PTP from a good friend. But weeks after I was invited another user on his tracker got between us and boom we do not even talk. (He is a great guy). I still have that tracker and guard with my life.. I had a few other friends I met over the years and got burned over opening tracker/content, so its a choice you have to make on how you want to handle this. My brother in-law run one of the oldest FTP on the net with tons of content - I am good friends with the guys who write code for tracker I mean I can go on and on. I had friends in the the top release groups, coders, hackers, drug dealer and so on. BUT if you draw a fine line between all this and keep your life a bit closed you will find your self on the bottom looking. YES it sucks, on the flip side you will not get caught up in all the drama as it unfolds. Looking around at the tracker world there really only a handful of tracker that does not have the drama as the P2L site..

So its a personal choice in my eyes... I see the shout box full of crap and see it full of fun. What I have seen lately is politics in the tracker world....... Well we all know how this can go so I just never answer or speak about this.

MOST WANTED---
HDB - HD movies
PTP - BEST TRACKER FOR ALL
BTN - TV
???? - Music

So the above list do you need them not sure but you can get the same content from the below:

MOST HAVE---
SCC - Great tracker
GFT - OK tracker
UG - For all your gaming needs - the best!
MTV - TV
IPT -
P2P - good tracker
????? - Music Well there alot of new ones so not sure yet.

See everyone want in the top list so you do what you have to do to get in. This where you say to your self ok I need to get to know you better - the lies begin or you learn to trust them right. "real friends" lol anyone can become who they want on the net or in the channels but the real question it HOW do you really trust them?

Lower group of tracker is where most people over 5+ years either had or has now. ---- NO trust here right or little trust.

All I can say is have fun enjoy your life and DO NOT beg for tracker you do not need!

Well just my thoughts on this.....

// MorTal

Matt27

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Based off of my experience, I think that working your way to the top trackers is vital because you learn a lot all along the way. Sometimes you can feel satisfied even when you haven't reached the top and sometimes you continue to fight your way through to that little precious.

But the most important thing is that you learn the value of what you have.

With RL friends, i try to peak their interest and see whether they are worth an invite. My RL friends generally oscillate from DDL to public torrents to almost always end up on fishy streaming websites bloated with ads and where quality is horrible.

To date i still haven't found that friend who will understand the value of an invite to a private tracker.

• Haha
Reactions: Alastor

king

Castaway
New Recruit
Gold
To date i still haven't found that friend who will understand the value of an invite to a private tracker.
I've found some people here on TPS who seem to worth the trust, there's only one guy outside of TPS who i trust enough to invite anywhere and that's that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Matt27 and jomas