We are Society.
Apply for membership
Blud

Blud

Buccaneer
Gold
Reactions
232 3 0
Inviting "real" friends resulted mostly with them not using the account or failing to read and they get burned by ratio watch. Most of them hate to seed long time or don't have the resources, plus even if you try to explain them why it's good to seed permanently even if you do have crappy connection they still don't want to do it. Looking through my invites there is 30% of them who still have accounts and use it actively.

Online friends, oh boy, lost invite privilege on one tracker, got banned on another one. But in global statistics 80% are active, around 40-50% uploaded new content. Sadly with losing privileges one time and being banned on another one, I've realized that there is no "sharing is caring" in the mindset of some people, and it made me paranoid on giving invites to them.

While it may seem that I blame myself and invitees that's not the case. Staff are also to blame as they are unsure what they want or don't know how. "Here have some invites and be sure to know who are you inviting." Definition of "know them" is made up with finger/wind method and usually gets you warned if they "felt" you don't know that person very good :). They want fresh blood but if you invite them it tends to get ugly if you didn't know them very well :|. Oh, and the idea of "invite only folks who you know personally" is even better one. I'll accept that idea if staff starts inviting their friends with being calm about directly telling them they are SysOp of that site, yeah right.

Disclaimer: I don't mean ill towards staff of trackers with my post as I understand they are in difficult position and have to keep security bar high because of their own real lives and also for the lives of many users on their site. But if you really can't trust your own senior members then disable invites for them or globally and that's that :)

In the end it's less risky to download something for a friend that he can't find and upload it on some file-locker rather than inviting them and that's sad.

Nomi

Nomi

Cereal Killer
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
79 1 0
Look, the thing about life is that it's uncertain. So uncertain that you can't be sure if what you are doing is right or wrong. Therefore you should do whatever seems right to you.
Personally, I believe sharing the invites with stranger is a double-edged sword. But surely, the positive side is greater than the negative one since almost all trackers have mechanisms to ban the non-deserving members.
Even then, we are the ones who should guide the non-deserving members so that they become worth something. I used to be a shit torrenter, when I was 16, I'd just limit seeding to 1kbps in public trackers and stop them immediately after they were done. I changed though. And I believe everyone can change.

Have fun. :)

largos7

largos7

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
388 7 0
Look, the thing about life is that it's uncertain. So uncertain that you can't be sure if what you are doing is right or wrong. Therefore you should do whatever seems right to you.
Personally, I believe sharing the invites with stranger is a double-edged sword. But surely, the positive side is greater than the negative one since almost all trackers have mechanisms to ban the non-deserving members.
Even then, we are the ones who should guide the non-deserving members so that they become worth something. I used to be a shit torrenter, when I was 16, I'd just limit seeding to 1kbps in public trackers and stop them immediately after they were done. I changed though. And I believe everyone can change.

You need to be able to justify why you invited someone. Gut feeling and wanting to spread positivity, etc isn't going to cut it.

Torrents limited to 1kb isn't something just seen on public trackers. IPT seems particularly bad for that. 2 seeders great... 1 unconnectable and the other rate limited worse than dial-up..

Nomi

Nomi

Cereal Killer
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
79 1 0
You need to be able to justify why you invited someone. Gut feeling and wanting to spread positivity, etc isn't going to cut it.

Torrents limited to 1kb isn't something just seen on public trackers. IPT seems particularly bad for that. 2 seeders great... 1 unconnectable and the other rate limited worse than dial-up..
That's not what I exactly meant. I'll try to explain if I get free time today.

largos7

largos7

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
388 7 0
That's not what I exactly meant. I'll try to explain if I get free time today.
OK, there's more to it than that.. just didn't want you to lose your invite privileges or worse. I was getting a hippy vibe from your post. lol

Xemaniac

Xemaniac

Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Gold
Reactions
714 14 13

Attitudes like this makes me not want to invite some. This could cost the accounts of a whole invite tree.

Nomi

Nomi

Cereal Killer
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
79 1 0
Attitudes like this makes me not want to invite some. This could cost the accounts of a whole invite tree.
I'm not saying we should invite everyone, we should just teach newbie members hoe to survive by something akin to a default pm.

I won't invite just about anyone. I I invite anyone ; I need to know them, why they want it, what they plan to do and why exactly they deserve it. Also, I would require at least two ratio proofs from two other reputable trackers. And they need to contact me using a pm on a private tracker.

P.s. I have accumulated 9 invites at AB and had 4 people asking for them one of them had already some base (proof of ownership of seedbox which I don't care about, proof of ratio from iPT lol), others didn't even have a PT history. I rejected all of them. They had to do more than that.

I forgot to mention previously, one has to be extremely selective while inviting strangers (well even with real friends).

Last edited:
P

Pellepojk

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
5 0 0
The matter of the fact is that you should never invite anyone to any tracker because the only thing you'll get in return is +b added to your account. Best case scenario? nothing happens. It is literally 100% risk with zero reward, I don't even know why I have bothered to invite anyone to any tracker when I think about it - it ain't gonna happen again though, that's for sure.

Tell people to go through recruiter or don't bother at all, no recruitment? tough luck - said tracker doesn't want you.

negative? maybe but I believe eventually everyone ends up at the same conclusion after being disabled one too many times for inviting someone you trusted, irl friend or not.

largos7

largos7

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
388 7 0
The matter of the fact is that you should never invite anyone to any tracker because the only thing you'll get in return is +b added to your account. Best case scenario? nothing happens. It is literally 100% risk with zero reward, I don't even know why I have bothered to invite anyone to any tracker when I think about it - it ain't gonna happen again though, that's for sure.

Tell people to go through recruiter or don't bother at all, no recruitment? tough luck - said tracker doesn't want you.

negative? maybe but I believe eventually everyone ends up at the same conclusion after being disabled one too many times for inviting someone you trusted, irl friend or not.
Inviting people you're confident will be good members helps the community and tracker. It is only 100% risk if you don't check out the person at all.

If you keep track of users you have invited and your inviters, you can correspond with them down the road.

Negative, yes, but that's the best position if you're not confident about the person.

P

Pellepojk

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
5 0 0
Inviting people you're confident will be good members helps the community and tracker. It is only 100% risk if you don't check out the person at all.

If you keep track of users you have invited and your inviters, you can correspond with them down the road.

Negative, yes, but that's the best position if you're not confident about the person.
Even if you are "confident they will be good members" the only thing you base this on is that they have been good members up until now. You no idea how long they will be "good members" or if they switch and become "bad members", some (most?) users probably never do but one is enough to screw you and all your other invitees over.

Again, all risk no reward, for what?

Doesn't matter if you confident about the person or not, he can switch any day and you along with all your invitees are screwed. for what?

Last edited:
Blud

Blud

Buccaneer
Gold
Reactions
232 3 0
Sadly the most common scenario is one that Pellepojk described.

largos7

largos7

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
388 7 0
So invitees after a period of being good users have a nasty habit of suddenly turning to the dark side and screwing you?

What causes that? The invitee was really a seller and when the account changed hands, the new person screws it up?

P

Pellepojk

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
5 0 0
So invitees after a period of being good users have a nasty habit of suddenly turning to the dark side and screwing you?

What causes that? The invitee was really a seller and when the account changed hands, the new person screws it up?
what? who said anything about a habit? I said one person or even one time is enough to screw you and all your invitees over if its only one tracker.

What causes it? people change, do you really have that difficult of a time to imagine a scenario where someone would "turn bad" without having been a seller from the beginning? Is that really the only case you can think of? For real?

And once again, for the third time I ask, for what? :) all risk no reward

I don't want to make this into a chatroom so please write more than two sentences with bullshit conclusions if you expect a reply.

largos7

largos7

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
388 7 0
what? who said anything about a habit? I said one person or even one time is enough to screw you and all your invitees over if its only one tracker.

What causes it? people change, do you really have that difficult of a time to imagine a scenario where someone would "turn bad" without having been a seller from the beginning? Is that really the only case you can think of? For real?

And once again, for the third time I ask, for what? :) all risk no reward

I don't want to make this into a chatroom so please write more than two sentences with bullshit conclusions if you expect a reply.
Let's chill. No need to attack me. Notice how I didn't quote your last post? I did not make any conclusions; I only asked questions to try to better understand the experiences of others. To date I have had no invitees self destruct their accounts and put mine at risk.

Sadly the most common scenario is one that Pellepojk described.
This is the quote that suggested accounts going bad was common.

Blud

Blud

Buccaneer
Gold
Reactions
232 3 0
Let's chill. No need to attack me. Notice how I didn't quote your last post? I did not make any conclusions; I only asked questions to try to better understand the experiences of others. To date I have had no invitees self destruct their accounts and put mine at risk.

This is the quote that suggested accounts going bad was common.
Didn't mean that part, rather that reward is small and risk is huge. Yes, add to the swarm and feel the pain if someone does not like them since you didn't "know" them.

Offical recruitment is still the safest option. Period.

I' ll help any user to learn about how tracker works, prepare him /her for the interview and what not, but you will have to convince me dead hard on why should I give you an invite rather than going through offical channel.

largos7

largos7

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
388 7 0
Didn't mean that part, rather that reward is small and risk is huge. Yes, add to the swarm and feel the pain if someone does not like them since you didn't "know" them.

Offical recruitment is still the safest option. Period.

I' ll help any user to learn about how tracker works, prepare him /her for the interview and what not, but you will have to convince me dead hard on why should I give you an invite rather than going through offical channel.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I agree, and the recruitment safety net goes both ways. I'd prefer to get in through a recruiter over someone playing loose with their invites that could bite me in the ass at an unknown point in the future.

Sometimes offering the right information to someone can be as useful as an invite without the risk.

spacely

spacely

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
83 0 0

This contradicts the whole "make friends" advice that everyone gives though (not saying you said it). Do you think that none of the private trackers should even allow regular members to invite & only do recruitment?

hossman

hossman

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
1 0 0
i was introduced to private trackers by being invited to oink by a real life friend. All of the real life friends I have invited personally have inactive accounts. With all the streaming these days, most people really don't bother.

ZebTM

ZebTM

Buccaneer
Gold
Reactions
333 0 0
Quite simply none of the people I know IRL would be willing to put in the effort required of the private tracker world simply for pirated content. If a tracker only allows "IRL friends" I will simply not give out invites to that tracker, but I think that policy is moronic.

Beyond that the vast majority of my social interaction is done online, largely due to disabilities I've talked about elsewhere, and many of the people I'd consider my closest friends are people I've never met IRL. My ex-fiancee who I lived with for 3 years was someone I met on an internet forum and didn't meet IRL until we'd been talking for 3 years, long after the point which she'd become me closest friend. She was the one who invited me to what.cd and got me started in this world.

The best user I've ever invited to private trackers is a guy I met on an internet forum in 2009 and have been talking with regularly via steamchat since then, last year I found out he was into private trackers so I invited him somewhere, he did well there, I invited him other places, he did well there too. I would invite him anywhere I had invites to that he wanted. Should I have trusted that guy less than some random guy I've been seeing for an hour every couple months irl for the past year? That doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.

Blud

Blud

Buccaneer
Gold
Reactions
232 3 0
ZebTM ZebTM You've explained it in a way I wished to :)

Last edited: