Public Service Announcement: Don't Buy Invites

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

Bezerra

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
These shortcuts only reveal that the user does not deserve to participate in a sharing community.

I think it's really cool to be recognized and invited to some sites. It is part of the growth in this P2P life.

Everything comes in its time, there is no reason to rush. Haste can destroy a reputation.

Reactions: othersna

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
The worst thing for a n00b who bought an invite (or more) is after getting busted, he's now got a "black mark" on his private tracker "record." He could possibly never get back into the places he bought into, and if his name is on "the list" he could get banned after joining new trackers. I am not saying this is a proper or improper way for trackers to conduct things, but just stating reality. That is why I highly suggest those who have that kind of a "past" let potential inviters know upfront, and the inviters can check with their trackers' staff to see if it is OK to invite a former buyer (or someone with a "past") . This is better than hiding it and then getting caught later.

icontinue2roam

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Something that has not been brought up on this thread, are passwords. Where do you think many of those invites for sale come from?

Good private trackers don't simply hand out invites like free samples at your grocery store. As we know, by participating and following the rules of a tracker, in time you will get an invite or two.

There are many people that use the same passwords on multiple sites. Using publicly available methods, logins are found, and tested. A hacker is looking for a user that has invites available and may find a login that will work on multiple sites. Those invites are then put up for sale. Unfortunately, the user whose login has been compromised, is not directly guilty of selling the invites. Good luck in proving that.

Get yourself a password manager. Use at least an 8 character password with symbols, numbers, and both lower and upper case characters. Change that password every so often. Protect yourself by never using the same password twice!

Reactions: AbeSimpson

MorTal

DEATH iS ALWAYS TEH ANSWER
Pirate
Gold
The problem is that some of these trackers are put on the streets as great places to find this and that.. So if people can not find an invite right away they look to buy.. Funny thing is that alot of trackers do sell there invite's but donations and so on.. One will seek out any means to get in to there place of dreams lol.... It's called the easy life for people these days... The life of true pirate are gone because it easy to put of trackers for money and easy to put of invite forms for selling trackers invites.. Its said that it happen but if caught then they cry OMG and beg to get back in...

To make it all go away is if people stop posting reviews so new members can see these elite tracker we may stop the selling of invites..

.. sad sad to those who buy!

The Seeker

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Yes Sting Sting . We've told anyone who has bought invites to go straight to the tracker where they bought the invite and turn in their seller. (as well as give the trackers whatever else info they need, such as their username at the "bad forum" so they can cross-reference with any sellers they have done "business" with. ) They may get to keep their account, or they may not, but it's still better to be upfront about it than get caught later.

True dat , i once read in reddit that a guy bought a ptp invite for 200 euros !! .. unfortunately for him he didn't come clean about it .. staff found out and they banned him .. poor guy :(

Capone

The Ghost
New Recruit
Gold
True dat , i once read in reddit that a guy bought a ptp invite for 200 euros !! .. unfortunately for him he didn't come clean about it .. staff found out and they banned him .. poor guy :(
200 euro = 220$ usd. You know you're not going to bypass the system! Maybe at IPT where they'll sell you your way back in but not at PTP, BTN, HDB,MTV,GG,BCG, FSC, CN, bitmetv,bitme,x264,WCD,waffles, E,Pedro,AHD, BIB, MYA (how could you get banned there), SciHD, PxlHD, HDT, any reputable tracker will ban anyone trying to re-enter after being banned! Buying an invite, all those sites I listed plus more will ban you for life! G Ban!