Public Service Announcement: Don't Buy Invites

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
This blog article is meant for beginners who are not TPS members, those thinking about joining TPS, and our own members who want some "food for thought." It is sad when my motivation to write blog articles happens after we ban a TPS member. ;) Our most recent Castaway is a guy who never sold invites, traded invites, or ratio cheated. But he was an active invite BUYER. This is kind of a first for us. We've had members who we have kept at TPS who have bought an invite or 2 because they were n00bs and found a "bad forum" via Google search and not knowing better, tried to buy their way into their first trackers. We forgave these members because they were truly new to private trackers. The guy we just banned was a fairly longstanding member of multiple "bad forums" and had a track record of buying invites long after he should know better.

Anyway, a brief mention of why this is wrong. In a previous blog article, I talked about why invite selling is wrong. Well if you buy invites from these sellers, you keep these scumbags in business. The other thing is, perhaps you intend to be a good user after buying your way in, but trackers have no way of knowing this. They cannot tell you from the other "bad users" (or members of anti-P2P groups) who buy their way in, so all invite buyers get banned. Usually anything involving an invite seller will lead to entire invite trees being banned (up and down the tree) as well. I note again, trackers have very sophisticated techiniques (which I am not privy to myself) in infiltrating and tracking down members of these "bad forums" and banning the invite trees of those involved. Not only that, some trackers will put such members on a global ban list and circulate these lists amongst themselves. So here you are, quietly using the tracker you just bought an invite to, and then you get caught and one by one your other tracker memberships go "poof." (Again, to repeat, buying an invite is considered a REALLY BAD THING to trackers.)

So, when it comes to TPS, if you have an extensive record of buying invites, don't apply to TPS. If we catch you, or even if you confess to it, we will have to let you go. Given the risk of any invite tree you are at being "chopped down" we cannot risk you getting or offering invites to TPS members. They will also get banned from their trackers and it's not fair to them as they presumed you were a good user. When I mean "extensive record," I mean you bought an invite, went to the tracker and read the rules saying invite selling will lead to a ban, and continued to sneakily buy invites to other trackers. This makes you no n00b but someone actively trying to break tracker rules, and we don't want such members at TPS.

One final thing. We changed our application to ask applicants about any "negative past" they might have. Not disclosing it and getting caught later is grounds for being banned here.

Sting

Captain
Captain
Gold
Wise words othersna othersna . I really don't get why people feel the need to take shortcuts. Honestly, it's not that hard to find invites to 99% of the trackers out there. Do things properly and at least you get the assurance that you'll hang onto the tracker for the long haul.

Also, if we're giving immunity to n00b invite buyers, I think it should only be granted if they admit to wrongdoing and expose the seller. That way at least the tracker can benefit slightly and weed out some of the sellers amongst their ranks.

Last edited by a moderator:

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Yes Sting Sting . We've told anyone who has bought invites to go straight to the tracker where they bought the invite and turn in their seller. (as well as give the trackers whatever else info they need, such as their username at the "bad forum" so they can cross-reference with any sellers they have done "business" with. ) They may get to keep their account, or they may not, but it's still better to be upfront about it than get caught later.

nevergiveup

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I really don't get why people feel the need to take shortcuts.
Maybe they cannot wait to join those so called trackers. and i do have a doubt why to rush join in ?, as how they are getting there stuff just before knowing those so called trackers and why not continue same until getting invite officially as they know PT rules well enough.

• Agree
Reactions: Sting

sbuser

Femdomcult Recruiter
Community Rep
Gold
i dont understand why you need to buy to invite !! there are hardlly 1% stuff which is "rare" and many trackers have almost everything. there is not even need to chase trackers which are very hard to get in.....for others we have TPS .....get free ones and enjoy

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
I can possibly understand a n00b going to Google, finding a "bad forum" not knowing how bad it is and think buying an invite is ok. What I hope is after joining the tracker he just bought an invite to , he reads the tracker rules and sees this is a bannable offense and then stops.

Someone buying invites persistently, even after being active at trackers, is deliberately trying to break the tracker rules. (Not hard to just make Power User somewhere and get into the recruitment sections if you are not good at making online friends.....)

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
The problem I see with this is the fact that the noob just put out money to join the tracker. If he then comes forward and confesses to buying the invite, he takes the chance that he will be banned. And he is back to square one..catch 22. I truly hope that such a person will be forgiven by the tracker, as long as he turns in the buyer and promises not to purchase any more invites.

• Agree
Reactions: thedeh

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
If he then comes forward and confesses to buying the invite, he takes the chance that he will be banned.
Yes but if he doesn't come forward he is still likely to be banned just a bit later. Once the seller is caught everyone they invited is likely to be banned with no chance of applying again in future. As you mentioned, some trackers may allow a buyer to reapply or seek a legitimate invite as long as they are honest as soon as they realise that what they have done is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: dakka and Sting

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
The problem I see with this is the fact that the noob just put out money to join the tracker. If he then comes forward and confesses to buying the invite, he takes the chance that he will be banned. And he is back to square one..catch 22. I truly hope that such a person will be forgiven by the tracker, as long as he turns in the buyer and promises not to purchase any more invites.
I was told by several people NOT to confess, for the very same reason. IMHO letting fear be your mental compass will guide you towards more pitfalls and problems; instead, bite the bullet immediately and face the consequences immediately. When I discovered how wrong it was what I had done, I headed to the people/channels in question at breakneck speed and guess what. In the end there was only ONE place that disabled me. I'm not even sure whether they banned me or not, and at some point I might gather enough fortitude to ask them a reconsideration; this is a bit besides the point, just pointing it out to illustrate how relatively mild the consequences were considering what I did.

Consider what would/could have happened if I had NOT confessed eh?

Other people's accounts are at risk because of bought invites as well, not to mention trackers' overall safety.

Sting

Captain
Captain
Gold
Admitting to wrongdoing will at least give you the possibility of hanging onto your account. I assume the quicker you do this after signing up the greater your chances are as well. Waiting until staff find out about your history and then seeking leniency doesn't look good and I doubt they'll offer any.

• Agree
Reactions: dakka and jammyone

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Well being honest with trackers and with us upfront will protect your TPS account (if you truly were a n00b and didn't know any better at the time). Then if in the future you get in trouble at a tracker for being on "the list" we can let our tracker staff here know you were upfront with us and we were aware of everything from the beginning.

Those who get caught after the fact are out of here and there are no second chances because we have spelled out all over this place what they need to do.

Reactions: jammyone

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
This is a double edged sword, to confess or not to confess.

At the end of the day an account buyer in most cases gets caught eventually. Sometimes it takes longer because staff are not as vigilant as they should be at all times. So an invite buyer may remain hidden on a site for a while, comfortable that they haven't been found out. But trust me, not many sites left that can't find these accounts easily.

Its a waste of money looking at it from the best possible angle. Worst angle is it gets you globally banned, as tracker staff do talk to each other to ensure we have the right person and the right accounts.

I had a recent incident occur. It wasn't an invite buyer, but basically it was someone lying to us and impersonating others. I am really sorry about this, but once you lie to a staffer its almost impossible to get anywhere further. For me I hardly trust people I know, let alone someone that just lied to me blatantly. Even admitting to the lying won't help. Thats how paranoid I am. Many staffers like me too.

So for me there are 2 options. Confess your sins, and don't lie about anything. If your lucky and sincere you may not get a ban. Or kill all accounts, and start fresh with a new persona the right way. Unfortunately simply changing your persona won't work. So if you try and get into the same place you killed your old account, that opens another can of worms, known as duplicate accounts. This trail of events looks incredibly suspicious to tracker staff and following this course if action can land you in the same spot as if you had confessed.

Personally I like it when I see a confession and then the person repents and learns right from wrong. I see it from time to time, and the sincere ones become very obvious that they are reformed. Sorry if i wrote this somewhere already. I am sure this stuff has been posted a bazzilon times. But even if just 1 person sees this thread and learns from it, then its a job well done.

othersna othersna you should get thedeh to write up a script that can randomly generate these posts, they seem to be needed every few weeks...lol...I am being serious! Maybe through repetition more peeps will see this stuff.

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
write up a script that can randomly generate these posts, they seem to be needed every few weeks...lol...I am being serious! Maybe through repetition more peeps will see this stuff.
Part of it might be each batch of new users or users that have been here a certain amount of time start asking. Maybe a link to one of the threads would be a good idea in our introductory message?

• Agree
Reactions: marigold

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
I think the root cause is most people don't want to read or research something like piracy etiquette when they first get into this scene. They think pirates as depicted on TV, all a bunch of Rum swilling criminals.

So I don't blame most for just jumping in and not even bothering to read rules, or even care once they had. What a lot don't understand is that this is a community like any other, and while the media and law may see us as criminals, most people that download movies don't consider themselves criminals. However those very same people may considers others as criminals in this community of ours due to ignorance.

Even if we are criminals, there is a moral code to adhere to. Again people do not understand how these things work, in real life, instead of banning that person, we would kneecap them, or perhaps if they were a real nuisance or were stealing from us, then they would be shot dead and fed to the fish. My point is, no matter how much material we provide, and no matter how many warnings, people will always have this fucked up perception of us...arr me hearties, they really think we are pirates sailing the 7 seas, while we swash buckle our way through battles, and sing boardy songs about women with large breasts.

Sounds dumb, but there it is, media and goverments can make you believe anything they want. Down with all governments, burn and...*cough* sorry got carried away there...what were we talking about again...hmm...no matter...lol

sbuser

Femdomcult Recruiter
Community Rep
Gold
as mentioned by dakka , confess is a double edge sword . and all problems start with it , trackers caught you spread your email with another one and goes on ...
however i am still confuse about buying/trading of account/invites . WHAT IS NEED ?? seriousally its not something which makes you money in real life by getting into so private trackers , even n00b should know that you are SPENDING your money not EARNING .

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
dakka dakka mentioned
Or kill all accounts, and start fresh with a new persona the right way.
I assume he means - kill the accounts where you bought the invites and start over, but still be honest with your "past" if it comes up (perhaps let staff and your inviter at the new trackers know what happened) . Better to do this than have your "past" come back to haunt you.

Remember the tale of infamous Castaway Anti_N (see my blog article). After getting banned for "bad behavior" he created a new persona - by pretending to be a completely different person. He was pretty good at it and was able to get fairly established in the tracker world before he too, got caught.

:troll-83: I joke that even the smooth-talking expert liar Don Draper on the TV Show "Mad Men" could not hide his past forever and also "got caught" creating a new persona.

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Yea sorry I wasnt very clear. I did mean the accounts that were bought. Get them disabled or abandon them. What I mean by new persona, is basically just a new username and email. This doesn't hide your identity from staff, what it does is hide you from people you have come in contact with, as you don't want anything to do with bad people. This way you can start again with the right attitude and without asshats contacting u from your shady past (or shady mistakes).

I have frequently in the past asked people if they had an account before, or if they had a different username. They have 2 choices, lie or tell the truth. If you get asked, surely its obvious I already know? lol...yea anyways, moral of the story those people that told me the truth still have their account, the ones that didnt got banned.

Come to IRC and lie even more, and generally put me and my staff out, then you may just earn a global ban for being a dick as well.

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
you should get thedeh to write up a script that can randomly generate these posts, they seem to be needed every few weeks...lol...I am being serious! Maybe through repetition more peeps will see this stuff.
People are people, they'll continue to do stupid things anyway and think they get away with it by just remaining silent.

Down with all governments, burn and...*cough* sorry got carried away there...what were we talking about again...hmm...no matter...lol
Sometimes I'm starting to doubt if you are related to Jello Biafra irl... :D

Consider what would/could have happened if I had NOT confessed eh?
Other people's accounts are at risk because of bought invites as well, not to mention trackers' overall safety.
You are a fine example of how things can go mate when coming clean! I'm sure you had a hard few weeks but it all worked out for you just because you understood your situation and were honest in all places, I hope many people learn from your experiences.

Funny stuff. Talked with Bib today, 34 people got banned, go figure.
That's something many people seem to underestimate, staffers talk.

I have frequently in the past asked people if they had an account before, or if they had a different username. They have 2 choices, lie or tell the truth. If you get asked, surely its obvious I already know?
There's a 3rd option too, they just don't answer and stay silent for some weeks thinking it will blow over. Well guess what? It doesn't...

EvilWalks

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Wise words.

Back when I was in heavy recruitment mode in CCC's early days, I stumbled over a user selling invites on some shady forum somewhere. Decided to make it my goal to hunt the prick down and report his details to global ban lists. Took maybe a month or two to finally infiltrate his stupid forum and get a hold of his details.

That was incredibly satisfying. In all the tasks one takes upon themselves in staffer land, hunting the sellers and traders was far and above the most enjoyable for me. All about the hunt ;)

• Agree
Reactions: zzzzzzzzz