Part 3 Piracy, IMAGiNE, and UTN

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

cherwonk

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Well the piracy, IMAGiNE and the UTN part is all done, all thats left is the BS,
It was September 8th, a few days before the dreaded 9/11. There were "credible threats " of terrorism and the country was on high alert. But still the Dept. of Homeland Security decided that 5 Movie Pirates rated 10 agents each, 50 agents tied up for a couple of days. It makes you wonder how credible these threats really are, but that’s a whole other article. My wife calls me at work around 10:30 am and tells me that the ICE agents just left. Bastards didn’t want me there, didn’t want me making sure they followed the law, or some sense of it. Of course I left work and went home.

When I got home I found my family visibly shaken this time. I guess the agents weren’t as nice this time as last. Of course they took all the computers, along with my daughter’s cellphone. Why you ask?? I couldn’t tell you. I also couldn’t tell you why they failed to produce a complete Search Warrant or why they failed to have any female agents. I was told that a male agent watched my wife pee through the bathroom window…WTF is that? Then to top it all off they stood there and called me a Terrorist in front of my kids. Tell me who the terrorists are in this scenario, busting in my house with their gestapo tactics.

Needless to say at this point I was foaming at the mouth and proceeded to call the very special agent in charge, after my 3rd mofo he hung up on me. My next call was to my lawyer.

A couple of days after that I met with my attorney, after a lengthy discussion he told me that without any Financial Gain from our endeavors it was only a Misdemeanor , a slap on the hand, something I already knew. I read the law, read it 3 times. I didn’t want to go to prison. The following week he called and told me they wanted to meet. Like that would happen, give me 3 year’s probation. I was over 50 and well established in my trade, mentored kids in Robotics, coached Little League for a while. They had no power over me but to put a small smudge on my record, whoopee.

The following month they called again, a week after that my lawyer called and said he had to drop my case. That these people could read whose emails they wanted, could threaten who they wanted.., they were basically untouchable because of the Patriot Act. You know things aren’t good when your lawyer is scared. He told me not to worry, if and when they do come and get you call and he’d get me out, he just couldn’t represent me.

He’d better do something I did pay him a decent amount of cash already.

Months go by, now its April, the snows melted but it’s still cold out. I work in a Screw Machine shop, its dirty, noisy work. But it pays well and I don’t have to deal with people. Its 11 am and my foreman comes up to me and says HLS is up stairs and have a warrant for me. We’ve been expecting this for a while.

What we weren’t expecting was a dozen agents surrounding the place making sure I didn’t run. What a joke, a called would have sufficed. I would have come down and turned myself in. But nope, the US Government has to make the big show, waste the big bucks. Any ways, I wash up and head upstairs to the offices were the President and VP of the company are waiting with 4 agents. I walk in say “Hello, can I see the warrant?” One of the agents tells me its in the SUV, so I turn around and tell them to come back when they’ve got it in their hands. Yes I am a wise ass, yes I still think it’s a misdemeanor. Well they nearly hurt themselves jumping over the counter to grab me. I thought it was quite amusing and I’m not easily amused. I get cuffed and popped into the back seat of the big black SUV and we start out to… Buffalo? Of course I cant go to Buffalo, how will I get home? I ask the guy driving if he has a clue, we have a Federal Building in Rochester. Yeah that’s where we end up going after I give them directions there. These are the people that are defending our country? These people havent a clue, unfortunately I cant say the same for the boys in Washington.

We get to the Federal Building and I get put in a cell, searched, swabbed for DNA, pissed in a cup, and fingerprinted. The whole 9 yards, I get interviewed about my past, if I had been arrested (which they already knew), if I did drugs and when the last time I did them. I had them call my ex- lawyer and was told I pissed clean even though I admitted to smoking pot the week before. Come to find out the cups have a threshold; my pot use was below that. What seemed like a day later they came and got me for my arraignment. After listening to rambling of the Judge he let me walk out on my own recognizance, I must not be a threat to society. No coat, no wallet, miles from work, I called my sister for a ride. Before leaving I’m told I need to show up in Norfolk Virginia to plead guilty or not. Now I live in Rochester NY, Norfolk is a little over 560 miles away. Why in the hell am I pleading there? I need a change in venue, I can’t be traveling back and forth for every court date. Well at least they gave me an appointed Lawyer, I won’t have to spend money on that. At least it’ll all be over soon, no more wondering who’s following me or listening to phone conversations, or watching my internet . Who am I kidding they are still doing all that, to all of us, it’s just a matter of if you’ve got the crosshairs on you.

The last part of this will be upped in a few weeks. Thanks for reading

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
The U.S. Dept of Justice (both the FBI and the U.S. Attorneys) don't like to lose. This is fairly typical of how they operate - treat you like you're the head of the Mafia, scare the crap out of you and your lawyers, and then pressure you into pleading to moderate penalties or else face severe penalties. Seems like they have infinite resources to go after you, while you can exhaust your life savings on defense attorney fees.

pWned

浪人
Pirate King
Gold
Maybe one day (or not) I will actually be in the mood to write up how I went from decorated veteran and federal law enforcement officer to bad conduct discharge pariah with a brig sentence. Let it be enough said that this very attitude of the feds played a role in it.

Maybe someday...

I just don't feel much like thinking about it, much less write it up again. I can literally see those guys hyping themselves up with the old "SAFETY FIRST LETS ALL MAKE IT HOME TONIGHT!" blahblah and doing the hero dance afterwards..... pathetic.

Sorry you got on their wrong side, dude. There's little that makes much sense when your name lights up in NCIC.

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
Did you never thought of the risks before you got arrested? I mean sure it isn't the major crime but still when doing what you did you must have thought at some point about how it could affect you and your family but still chose to take it.

cherwonk

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Did you never thought of the risks before you got arrested? I mean sure it isn't the major crime but still when doing what you did you must have thought at some point about how it could affect you and your family but still chose to take it.
Of course I weighed the consequences of my actions.
At the end of Part 2 "You see as long as we didn’t make money from this, it was a misdemeanor. If you made financial or monetary gain it was a Felony."
Misdemeanor, slap on the wrist ... I was a bad boy. YES I did that, yes we did it for thrills, for fun, for fame... but we didnt do it for money. Why do you think it took them 6 months to arrest us? They needed to figure out how to make it a Felony.

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Its a sad sordid affair dealing with law enforcement these days. I am australian but they added all those BS terrorist laws here too, even though we don't actually have terrorism here...lol. They can pretty much do anything they want so long as they tie it back to terrorism. When you think about it any crime can be considered terrorism. Yes even pirating...I don't agree with the umbrella term but thats what it is.

I am yet to hear any1 i know winning against law enforcement. With all the digital surveillance going on and their ability to get onto any1's PC, they are quit good at setting people up so they can win in court. They cracked down on "crooked" cops a while ago, so now we have cops that are much smarter and are even more corrupt than before. I know of a few that have quit due to how bad it is.

Some genuinely nice people join the cops not realising that its just another crime syndicate. Its basically opposite of what they intended. So far I have met 3 people like that. I myself have only had bad experiences. Reading these kinds of stories only re-enforces my feelings. One of my friends has dated feds and cops and now they are really screwing with her. She ended up breaking down and being sent to a mental asylum. They were breaking into her house and just doing stuff to scare the shit out of her. Threatening her on the phone etc.

We have given away our freedom and none of us fought to hold onto it. So now we are faced with a society who's governments commit the worst atrocities in history and blame it all on "terrorism". The real terrorists are our own goverments and law enforcement agencies. Oh well, I guess when you look at it, we have not really changed from medieval times. We just dress up atrocities and other shit to make it seem others did it, or its not so bad, or its for our own protection.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Examples like aforementioned make it so clear that the real gangsters are the people in power; the politicians, leaders, etc. that it's astounding that a global protest, or the good ole overthrow of all gvt's hasn't happened yet..

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
Examples like aforementioned make it so clear that the real gangsters are the people in power; the politicians, leaders, etc. that it's astounding that a global protest, or the good ole overthrow of all gvt's hasn't happened yet..
I am still hoping for the day! I would rather anarchy to what we have now. I have been in a place that rules by anarchy and everyone was super nice since at any given moment they could pull out a gun and shoot u dead without any repercussions. No one stole, or did anything really wrong to one another, it all seemed to work.

Unfortunately things like garbage collection and other council services don't exist...but got to take the bad with good i suppose...lol

• Agree
Reactions: Dwarsligger

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
It is unfortunate that politics and law enforcement do mix all over the world, and in the USA it's no exception. The MPAA is a fairly powerful lobbying force, and its president is Christopher Dodd, a former powerful U.S. Senator with lots of connections. So when these powerful rightsholder groups pressure the Dept. of Justice to go after pirates, then the Feds will go after pirates with a vengeance. (Fortunately they are not going after the casual filesharers. It would be a total waste of resources considering how many of us are out there.)

• Agree
Reactions: deathro

cherwonk

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
It is unfortunate that politics and law enforcement do mix all over the world, and in the USA it's no exception. The MPAA is a fairly powerful lobbying force, and its president is Christopher Dodd, a former powerful U.S. Senator with lots of connections. So when these powerful rightsholder groups pressure the Dept. of Justice to go after pirates, then the Feds will go after pirates with a vengeance. (Fortunately they are not going after the casual filesharers. It would be a total waste of resources considering how many of us are out there.)
I agree, too many file sharers to go after, too many powerful connections. But as you'll see in the last Part of this the Courts made a very dangerous precedent in these cases. Thats all I'll say for now... I'll have the final read up in a couple weeks

• Agree
Reactions: deathro

AbeSimpson

Gold
So far Canada is a lot more sane than our neighbors to the south when dealing with piracy. I hope that continues

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
I really wish they would leave pirates, pot smokers, those dudes that wash your car windows at a set of lights, alone. I would prefer they investigated that asshole who robbed me, or stole my car. No sorry not enough police to come to your house and check for finger prints. They are too busy chasing pirates and dangerous pot users who could cobble your munchies down if you looked away.

Seriously, what kind of society are we living in, where they have unlimited resources to catch people that watch movies for free, but to catch robbers that actually steal material goods that someone has already paid for...nope don't have resources for that sorry. Parking ticker, yea sure, have more than we can use, homicide, nope sorry don't have enough resources. Can you see the trend here?

Bleh, this is why I live in a cave. Don't try and find me, I have the place booby trapped!

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
lol, ok fine ban the car window cleaners. but leave us pot smokers alone ffs! Serious, worst thing I will do in my lowest moment while stoned, is steal your munchies. Anything more and I would be too paranoid to do it!

• Haha
Reactions: jammyone