Apply for membership
oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,492 4 9
In 2017 I had the idea of writing books for a living - it wasn't as easy and/or lucrative as I'd thought though. That's a euphemism for saying I fucked up - I didn't make a dime, zilch, nada, nothing. And that in turn is a euphemism of saying, I didn't finish any book to date. Plenty of ideas and half-written manuscripts lying about, which is as good as nothing.

So 2018 is the time for change. Radical change. A complete overhaul of the whats and hows and whys of what I been up to.
My new thing is creating content on YouTube. Research tells me it's hard but possible to make dough off of YT.
Hard work in the sense of a lot of work; not in the sense of complex. I'd be in trouble then.
The niche I'm targeting seems relatively easy. I've made some test videos already and getting into the hang of new programs.

After some brainstorming the ideas for videos came flooding in. One idea inspires the next and so on.
I'm jotting down all these ideas in one place, old school in a notebook.
Later on, this list will be revisited and scrutinized - what's good what's crap?
Sifting through and acting on this list shall be my main activity in 2018.

Determining which of these brain farts shall materialize is part of my New Year's resolution for 2018.
Supposedly a good way to motivate oneself is to state publicly what you're up to. Here goes nothing.
Fear of looking like an idiot and waves of excitement are vying for attention.
Here's to being held accountable and all or nothing.
It's not like I've never been called an idiot. Experience taught me I don't care much about it, though I thought I would.

This New Year's resolution is the first one I've ever taken seriously.
It probably entails way more than I anticipate for as time continues unforeseen events are bound to unfold.
I'll try to see these unexpected obstacles as challenges rather than as problems though.
I'm confident that by acknowledging from the get-go my awareness of these future roadblocks and dedicating enough time
and resources to circumvent them I'll be able to surpass them.

An undertaking such as this also entails asking for help. I'll need people to make it happen.
Approaching strangers on sites like Elance or Fiverr etc. seems like a logical first step in finding such people.
It is one of the hardest things to do for me. Why?
On the one hand I don't want to be a cheapskate, on the other I don't want to get ripped off.
The negotiations and getting to trust each other takes time and effort.
Getting a team of trusted people together seems an insurmountable task at this point. Luckily I'm too foolish to worry.
Might anyone here be knowledgeable about SEO, traffic, video recording/editing, adword/adsense, music production, "YouTubing" etc, feel free to PM me.

Becoming an expert in each single aspect seems too time-consuming; I'll try to get involved in as much of it as I can though.
The idea is to write a script, record it, edit it. Rinse and repeat. Often. Very often.
And the quality needs to be 200%. YouTube's not bringing their absolute A-Game get slaughtered in the blink of an eye it seems.
So it isn't a matter of quality > quantity or vice versa, it's a case of having both quality and quantity. Flood the net.

I heard YouTube's algorhythm likes regular uploaders best. And so do subscribers. So the idea is to upload regularly.
To put it in a kind of mission statement: I'll upload at least one quality video a week for every week of 2018, if at all possible more.
It's both exciting and frightening. I'm wondering if anyone here is doing this, has done this or has considered it.

Another part of my resolution is to contribute at least 5 EUR but if possible 10 EUR a month to TPS.
Partly to say thanks for all the good I've gotten from here.
Partly for allowing me here and letting me spam to my heart's content round these parts.
Partly for being so transparent about the finances and keeping this kickass site in the air.
But mostly just because I want to. Who's with me? Just a few more people are needed to ensure the longevity of TPS.

Wishing everyone a happy 2018, signing off,

OB

Dwarsligger

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Administrator
Gold
Reactions
4,992 19 69
Good luck with your resolutions mate, hope you'll succeed and become a YouTube celebrity. If it fails at least I look forward to going on holidays next year with your supported $$ :D

SirJackHoff

SirJackHoff

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
62 0 0
Good luck!

You are a better man than I! I thought we were supposed to wait until after the new year to come up with resolutions, so you must be serious.

Wicked

Wicked

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
466 6 2
I read everything you wrote, and I think don't change from what you are doing. Or will we next year be reading, "I have half finished YouTube videos on my desktop, I never got my webpages on the first 10 pages of Google with SEO etc etc In 2019 I am going to........"

One thing is obvious from the films I watch (I am especially looking at you Last Jedi) they are crying out for film manuscripts! Look at all the boring remakes they do, and part 10 of a film that should have ended 5 films ago.

Your New Years Resolution perhaps should be, finish what you start. But whatever you decide, I wish you all the success in the world.

AbeSimpson

AbeSimpson

Gold
Reactions
1,970 4 2
All the best mi amigo. My son watches a lot of YouTube. It looks like something that is doable. It seems like you’d want to pick something you are passionate about and have some knowledge of. That way it won’t seem like work and viewers will see it in your videos.

jammyone

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
Reactions
2,859 11 12
Good luck with it OB

Just please don’t be one of those Youtubers that takes a minute to introduce themselves at the start of every video and then spends 2 minutes at the end thanking people and telling us to like and subscribe, with only 2 minutes of actual content:D

caracalla

caracalla

Legatus Legionis
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
74 0 0
Hey oklahomaboy oklahomaboy , always like what you've got to say, this being no different. Good luck with it, as some of the guys have said, it is certainly something that is do able. Once you pick something your passionate about which you have, then you need the followers and you really only need a few to start then you may just take off. I watch a heap of YT on a variety of subjects and it seems all the peeps i watch seem to have a great following and some of them really aren't that great, don't know how they do it but in your case, i mean just look at the effort you put into this community, and the results so If thats anything to go by, I think you'll kill it on YT, Ill certainly subscribe. GOOD LUCK see you at a million subscribers.

oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,492 4 9
Good luck with your resolutions mate, hope you'll succeed and become a YouTube celebrity. If it fails at least I look forward to going on holidays next year with your supported $$ :D
Thank you Dwars. I love supporting your local circus, my contributions should get you in :p

Good luck!

You are a better man than I! I thought we were supposed to wait until after the new year to come up with resolutions, so you must be serious.
It's a matter of life or death. Thank you.

I read everything you wrote, and I think don't change from what you are doing. Or will we next year be reading, "I have half finished YouTube videos on my desktop, I never got my webpages on the first 10 pages of Google with SEO etc etc In 2019 I am going to........"

One thing is obvious from the films I watch (I am especially looking at you Last Jedi) they are crying out for film manuscripts! Look at all the boring remakes they do, and part 10 of a film that should have ended 5 films ago.

Your New Years Resolution perhaps should be, finish what you start. But whatever you decide, I wish you all the success in the world.
You are way too good at putting fingers on painful places. Well, you are wicked after all.
Seriously though, point well made. Thanks for the support and insight.

All the best mi amigo. My son watches a lot of YouTube. It looks like something that is doable. It seems like you’d want to pick something you are passionate about and have some knowledge of. That way it won’t seem like work and viewers will see it in your videos.
Thanks for you kind words mate. Except for the knowledge, I think I got it covered. As it's a fairly easy niche, I'll learn along the way.

Good luck with it OB

Just please don’t be one of those Youtubers that takes a minute to introduce themselves at the start of every video and then spends 2 minutes at the end thanking people and telling us to like and subscribe, with only 2 minutes of actual content:D
Yeah, I've seen those. Way too often. It's not my intention to go about it like that at all.
The way I see it, content is king. And I believe in word of mouth. I do plan on somehow asking for subscribers and putting some ads.
They should not interrupt the viewing experience though. Appreciate the gesture jammyone jammyone

Hey oklahomaboy oklahomaboy , always like what you've got to say, this being no different. Good luck with it, as some of the guys have said, it is certainly something that is do able. Once you pick something your passionate about which you have, then you need the followers and you really only need a few to start then you may just take off. I watch a heap of YT on a variety of subjects and it seems all the peeps i watch seem to have a great following and some of them really aren't that great, don't know how they do it but in your case, i mean just look at the effort you put into this community, and the results so If thats anything to go by, I think you'll kill it on YT, Ill certainly subscribe. GOOD LUCK see you at a million subscribers.
Seldom have I received words as flattering. Well, thanks for your support, I was actually smiling after reading that, thank you.
Regarding the process, yes it seems to be all about gathering a following. And I too have wondered at some videos or video makers why they had as many views or subscribers as they had - or, the lack thereof. What goes viral and what doesn't is usually hard to predict, except with a few YT celebs who are already established. See you at a million subs! I'll toast to that.

Thanks TPS for letting me use this small space here, and thanks to everyone who read or will read this. Cheers.

xiabing

xiabing

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
33 0 0
Good luck!
Everything's hard in the beginning. It may be difficult to do at first. Don't let this discourage you.
The most important principle is focusing on right now, don't think too much!
I wish you all the success !

The_Cob

The_Cob

Bookie
Bookie
Gold
Reactions
636 3 0
Good luck to you oklahomaboy oklahomaboy , let me know when you get things going and I'll subscribe and white list you from my adblocker. I don't know if you've read the monetization rules for YouTube, but if you haven't, here they are. How to earn money from your videos - YouTube Help

oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,492 4 9
Good luck to you oklahomaboy oklahomaboy , let me know when you get things going and I'll subscribe and white list you from my adblocker. I don't know if you've read the monetization rules for YouTube, but if you haven't, here they are. How to earn money from your videos - YouTube Help
Thanks for the support! Going through that page today :)

SHA-1

SHA-1

Buccaneer
Gold
Reactions
293 8 3
Nice initiative OKboy :) It'll be quite the challenge producing one video a week that's also interesting and most of all entertaining.

Go for it!

Wicked

Wicked

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
466 6 2
@ oklahomaboy oklahomaboy So we are on week 5 of January. Did we manage to make 4 videos?

oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,492 4 9
@ oklahomaboy oklahomaboy So we are on week 5 of January. Did we manage to make 4 videos?
Ugh. I tried avoiding your question - as if it would disappear that way, but of course it doesn't work like that. The truth is I've been slacking. The first few demos are done and I've written several scripts lately for new ones. The goal of 1 per week is higher than I thought, it's a lot of work and I clearly underestimated it. The first one is done and second one in the works. So, no, not 4 by a long shot!!

Wicked

Wicked

Captain
Captain
Gold
Reactions
466 6 2
Ugh. I tried avoiding your question - as if it would disappear that way, but of course it doesn't work like that. The truth is I've been slacking. The first few demos are done and I've written several scripts lately for new ones. The goal of 1 per week is higher than I thought, it's a lot of work and I clearly underestimated it. The first one is done and second one in the works. So, no, not 4 by a long shot!!
Of course, I knew this would be the case, its why I asked, I am wicked after all! People are huge procrastinators, I mean like 99% of us. Time passes so very quickly, and if we let it a month has passed and nothing has been done.

I was saying to one of my friends yesterday, its the difference between a need and a want.

Lots of people want to write a great book. But their basic bills are paid in their normal job, and they dont need to. Now compare that to J K Rowling who was an out of work, on benefits, single mum. She needed to. In fact its quite interesting to me, that despite Harry Potter being immensely popular she has done fuck all since. She doesn't need to anymore, she is no longer hungry. She could have easily started Potter The Next Generation, and told more about what happened to their kids, or gone the other way (as is popular in Hollywood) done a prequel filling in the story of Voldemort and how he killed Harry's parents.

I am not trying to preach to you, as I am exactly the same. I have thrown away computer books on subjects I planned to learn having never opened the book, and they are now obsolete . When I read your initial post about how you didnt do what you planed last year, and was now doing something different this year, I thought sounds like me!

Have you ever tried listening to any motivational speakers? Like Tony Robbins for example? It does help, but of course you still need the need to listen to him and don't end up not getting around to listening to him too.

I just had a quick look at some of his quotes to end this post with, and spotted this

“In life you need either inspiration or desperation.” – Tony Robbins

oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,492 4 9
You've been very sharp in your perception, Wicked Wicked You hit the nail right on the head with the "need" factor.
It's exactly how it happened/happens to me, the bills are usually already paid from my "normal" job so the necessity for a breakthrough is thereby severely diminished.

Motivational speakers are a good one and I've listened to a few. Eric Thomas the "hiphop teacher" appealed to me and Tony Robbins has a few good things (though it got repetitive sometimes) but they still couldn't get my ass in gear. Ultimately what works for me is to deeply understand what the alternatives are in a few years from now if I DON'T get into action and as a result I've actually made some headway. The so-called domino-effect seems to do it for me, as in a small success and then a bigger one etc. and building up on that.

At no point did I consider your post preachy, on the contrary I love the feedback, thank you for that.

Last edited:
Alastor

Alastor

Nebulance.io Recruiter
Community Rep
Gold
Reactions
390 7 7
I will write a fucking book and it will be called The Adventures of a Cunt in the Land of Torrents
It will be a best fucking seller you wait and see!

oklahomaboy

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Reactions
2,492 4 9
I will write a fucking book and it will be called The Adventures of a Cunt in the Land of Torrents
It will be a best fucking seller you wait and see!
You could sell it from your current location, those trailer folks will read anything

Last edited: