Isomorpheus

Isomorpheus

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
1 0 0
I relate to much of what's been posted.

I started off pirating as a teenager because I was broke and it was cool to be able to access whatever. As I've matured I've come to see openness of information as an inevitability. In this sense the torrenting community is a prelude to what's coming.

Of course, I also enjoy the practical benefits like fast speeds, community, and selection.

Pblaze

Pblaze

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
82 0 2
I torrent for two because im not paying the fucking ridculous prices that the corp pieces of shit demons charge even though they have all the money and more and dont share a dime of it. I like to help keep the info circling out there becuase if there wasnt seeding there wouldnt be any info i mean there would be but i wanna be apart of the people who keep that shit going. I dont know what i would do if i couldnt torrent anymore or talk to my friends online. alot of those friends ive met here and they are not her any longer but the good thing is that im starting to make new friends and atleast some of the old people who were here are still here fucking the forums up. o/

but main reason is for the community. the forums. Ive met some of the most badass people ive ever known online. even better than some of my friends in real life. the topics in the forums around here and in some of trackers are fucking amazing and i couldnt live without those either. pWned you know what im talking about you salty pistachio gobbler.

MadeOfPaper

MadeOfPaper

Castaway
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
33 0 0
The first thought came to me when reading this post is the simple reasons we all know which is easily to use and download, no broken links like direct download, file are available as long as people seed, organized, no need to pay money to enable the full download capacity like direct download, easy to find what you need and if it is not available you can request it or request to reseed the file, files are complete and safe from virus but in my opinion all of this will not exist without torrent community for me the community in torrent world are not limited to forums only for me the community torrent sites, forums, staff, uploaders, active users which have experience and can make difference to the community and even the simple users which only download and seed i like to think that the community is the home (the site) which every one has role it may be simple and it may be big but it all help to create that successful community

T

TheHelpFul

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
35 1 1
Main reason is that its become a hobby for me, plus the torrents are usually much better quality and much more content.
Mostly for the content that isn't available in the US or hard to find.

My friends just settle for like netflix, but thats just simple not enough for me, as i want to control the quality and content that is available to me.

Azzarea

Azzarea

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
52 0 0
I guess knowing that I can get away with it. I really will never buy the argument that it's not stealing, or that intellectual property should be free. A lot of people I steal from might be billionaire movie studios; the prices might be outrageous; but at the end of the day, the industry I'm stealing from was never supposed to be a charity. The movie studios make $60 million dollar movies because they are hoping for a profit on that 60 million. Book publishers sign authors up because by hoping to publish the unknown author they're putting their money on, they hope to get a profit in return.

It's not a perfect system; the middle men get way too heavy a paycut from this system. I would rather that when I buy a book from a retailer; my money go directly to the author rather than a big chunk of the money going to all the middle-men involved; but if the whole population turned to 100% torrenting and it became a non-profit industry; the whole system will collapse and there will be no incentive for anyone to produce 'intellectual property' of any kind.

Now that I have a decent salary; not that I'm rich but I'm not completely broke; I try to buy what I can. I use Spotify and Google Play for a lot of my music needs; buy books and software. I couldnt bring myself to buy Microsoft Office though (sorry Bill Gates); but I guess 150 dollars was too heavy a price for my moral fiber. Maybe I would have ended up buying it but just the fact that it was so incredibly easy for me to get it for free; I couldnt get myself to pay the price.

Bottomline? I torrent because I'm a thief. I'm getting things for free that I should be paying for.

flaviusbelisarius

flaviusbelisarius

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
24 0 0
I like sharing. Furthermore, there are some things that would (have) disappear(ed) forever, were it not for p2p.

unikboss

unikboss

Hillbilly Hoodrat
Swashbuckler
Gold
Reactions
644 10 3
Big believer in freedom of information
I'm a cheap bastard.
And the biggest reason of all:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fagirlandaboy.com%2Fjournal%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2Fveruca-i-want-it-now.png&hash=8a67fa576122052f38bdc97f2b97fe50

T

TheHelpFul

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
35 1 1
Torrenting is the same as using the internet. :arrr::D

Its 2016 why do you use the internet?
Because you can and its cheap and effective.

APP

APP

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
29 0 0
I torrent because I like it. Every day, I browse each of my private trackers and download or share stuff I like. It has become one of my habits. So simple.

H

Halo3

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
4 0 0
beats paying a ton of money for media consumption

james75

james75

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
38 1 0
Everything is available on the internet and in the private trackers, so that's an easy answer.

W

Welles

Disabled
Gold
Reactions
0 0 0

Last edited:
violentnature

violentnature

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
Reactions
283 2 0
The most honest reason for me would be to find entertainment. I started pirating music of artists I knew about but had no way of obtaining rare or live tracks. That lead me to places that had other similar music to download and eventually it became about efficiency and effectiveness of obtaining content I wanted. Without pirating I would have not found most of the music I listen to and a lot of good movies I've seen.

Money and community are large factors in why I continue. I can hardly afford what I have right now and have several years of debt to pay off, yet I still find some extra money to watch movies in theaters or buy an occasional album I want (so I am supporting the industry a little). And without the community to guide me to the content I wouldn't have made it very far. So I like to give back and contribute to the communities and hopefully help someone else in the same position.

Even if I did have excess money to afford what I'm currently pirating, I would probably spend it in the pursuit of being a musician and travelling for my entertainment instead of working 40 hour weeks and not having enough time or money to do anything but sit at home at night looking for content to pirate.

Donovan

Donovan

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Reactions
38 0 0
Because i can is the simpliest answer. :D But for me the reason is clear: The movie and tv industry can - if they like - launch a product like spotify for the whole world. In theory it's already here - think of Netflix or Amazon prime. But they won't. They are releasing stuff in some countries, in others not. They even try to stop users on Netflix or Amazon to view movies outside of their homecountry, trying to block VPNs etc. So i'm willing to pay, but only if i get all the content i want - and not with 10000 subscriptions for 10000 services.

AkiTakiTeriyaki

AkiTakiTeriyaki

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
8 0 0
I guess I torrent because:

1. It's hard to get content here in Japan. Some stuff are only released in Western markets, and never make it here, others arrive so much later than the rest of the world (like movies; Hollywood movies usually take 3 months or more to arrive in theaters here. Sometimes the Blu-ray is already available by then!). Also, the stuff that is available, especially music, is marked up so much because the RIAJ essentially has a price cartel here, and a lot of stuff are not available on streaming services (especially Sony labeled stuff).

2. Convenience. It's nice to be able to get nearly anything I want instantaneously, especially when internet speeds are so fast here.

3. It's cheap! I'll admit it, I'm a cheapskate, and prefer getting stuff for free rather than paying for it :p

rosecross

rosecross

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
6 0 0
I think convenience is the best reason for me. To be able to get stuff easily even the ones that are hard to obtain legally is what keeps me here. Wide range of variety(Diff. file sizes and quality) is also a plus.

curtis07

curtis07

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Reactions
13 0 0
I just really hate unused hard drive space. Seeing a "space left" percentage irks me. :lmao:

Amputat3

Amputat3

DB9 Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Reactions
51 6 0
By now it's such a habit that I don't even know why.

I guess it's because I can find whatever I want whenever I want it.
I mean, I still pay for TV even though I barely ever watch it. I just grab everything of the net.
I pay for streaming services but I still download everything and end up ripping music from set streaming services <_<

+ If you don't live in the US, the amount of legal content you have access to is limited and varies wildly from country to country.

Take Crunchyroll for example.
I constantly hear people praising that service to high heavens but in my country there's barely anything on there.