It's 2016. Why Do You Torrent?

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

DNS

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
I use trackers and torrents to teach those around me how to use computers. Without getting the worlds media for free it would be hard to keep them interested.

I come from a poor area, and most the people I know are poor. Computers can help them get a good job with no school and it is quick to learn with a catalyst like free everything : )
I have helped many and I will help many more as I grow and learn how to do more, also those I teach who do well go on to teach and so on. I have torrents to thank for getting started in all this and keeping my and everyone else's attention throughout our learning process. We are now a large network and still growing. We think all entertainment should be free along with all education.

Also use torrents to test video games and not pay for crap, at the same time torrents let us know who's worth supporting based on how good their content is, not their commercials.

(I know it says Ann Arbor Mi under my name, but that's not where I am from, it's where I went : )

Last edited:

monkies8it

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
So many reasons. The largest aspect, I'm afraid, is that I'm an addict and torrenting is better than doing drugs. Facilitating this is the fact that I'm a huge nerd and both broke and cheap. I consume content for the sake of consuming content, even a fair amount I don't even really like. I devour comics, TV shows, movies, music and audiobooks almost constantly. Because I can. I've gone through several periods of my life where I had no access to regular media and I was fine. Last time, I remember spending actual time at the local library. I didn't die. But... at the moment I have access to free internet, I have a nice, working laptop, and I am pretty much semi-retired and work part-time while my son is in school. Therefore I am a leeching legend. An unexpected benefit has been that I have discovered a quite diverse and interesting torrenting community and have unearthed some rare and cool sources which allow me to actually contribute a bit here and there. I have actually created almost no content, however. What little I have I am proud of, but mostly what little I share is from one source to another.

To me, the sharing of content is a very reasonable response to the weird and unnatural restrictions of distribution corporations and copyright law. I have always believed that the proper expression of artistry is in the performance, meaning that concerts and theaters are where I would expect people to earn their pay. Books are a bit of a different animal, and the predominance of adaptations has probably changed the face of authorship forever, but I have no moral qualms about pirating content in general. I wouldn't be buying it anyway because I don't have the cash. The bigger question to me is if I wouldn't be better off without such easy access to it...

Reactions: BlastGT1

pWned

L' enfant terrible
Pirate King
Gold
but you can't light one up or have a beer while watching the movie on the cinema
aaaaand yet another confirmation that moving abroad was a good idea :p

I watched Force Awakens in IMAX. I bought 3 delicious, crispy and cold German beers at the concession stand before I went in, and halfway through I lit up a decent spiffy ...

• Haha
Reactions: Capone

DD7

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
My main reason for piracy (pre-torrenting even) was access to archive material not even available through any legal channels. Curiously, at the time I was in a financial situation where I would have paid full retail price or more for it and I tried. I started to put up what
I had on Napster. My situation is different now, different location, different economy, and I can't even think about actually buying legally, everything is priced for the big economies. I couldn't get involved in private trackers for a long time, and to explain, I got hit will a $120 bill for net usage on one torrent I accidentally left seeding for a day. Things here have moved on but only in the last year or two.

Last edited:

Seeker01

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I did some research on this last year for my MSc in Criminology and social research methods. TPS kindly helped me to seek respondents to my survey and also chatted with me and gave me initial feedback on my survey. Without them the TPS i wouldn't have been able to get the number and kind or respondents i needed. Thank you TPS members and staff.

My research built on two large scale UK studies one by the UK government communications department Ofcom and the other by a cohort of multi disciplined academics from various disciplines and university but the team is based in the university of Glasgow. You can read the reports here if you like http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/telecoms-research/oci-wave4/ and http://www.create.ac.uk/publications/determinants-and-welfare-implications-of-unlawful-file-sharing-a-scoping-review/

In my literature review i came across dozens of other research writings on the subject. They along with my own research showed the primary reasons for people pirating were ; ease of access to material , the difficulty or impossibility of obtaining the material elsewhere and the cost of legal material. I myself do it for all of these reasons. Plus i feel as others do according to research that i spend enough money on legal material. Research from ofcom and others show pirates spend on average more than non pirates on legal material.

The media industry is aware of the reasons for piracy and that to decrease any revenue believed to be lost to the industry due to piracy-what it is they they need to do. Such as lower prices, shorten or cease windowing releases , particularly in regard to geographic regions and make content legally paid for by consumers easy for them to share with other devices family and friends. This is happening slowly and likely would not happen at all were it not for pirates.

I wanted to make my dissertation available one completed but it i get the error file size to long.

Novocaine

UGC Rep
Community Rep
Gold
I torrent because I can't afford to pay retail prices for things such as movies, music, or games. Most of the income that comes into my household almost immediately disappears to bills, groceries, and gas. I generally end up with enough money left to splurge on a cheeseburger or treat myself to a case of Guinness from time to time, and the process starts all over again every two weeks. Without torrenting I'd be staring at the walls in silence bored out of my skull. Plus the community around torrenting like private trackers are filled with some of the most knowledgeable and friendly people I've ever met with the exclusion of the occasional asshat.

morty1980

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
well, my reason also are quite same with some post of the above,
can try before buying, get access to old content which is not available in my country, and large selection of content :pirategun:...

MrTimscampi

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I torrent for archiving purposes.

I like having media available and playable on everything. I'm a Linux user, so Blu-ray is out of the equation, really. It's a hassle to play them and, when I want to watch a movie, I can't be bothered.
They're also very expensive, way too much for my student budget. For the price of ~10-12 new 20$ Blu-ray, I can buy a 8TB Seagate Archive drive and store several hundreds movies. The choice is easy to make.

I also like quality, which is why I joined private trackers in the first place. If I'm hoarding several terabytes of media, I'd rather it being in as good a quality as can be, and that's what private tracker's internal groups give me.

I stopped torrenting for several months and dealt with both Spotify and Netflix. While the service is decent for regular people, I have very varied tastes in both music and movies, and want to experience as much as possible. As a result, the choice offered by those services wasn't enough for me. There was no real alternative for many things I wanted to watch or listened to, except buy a physical release full price (which is too expensive for me) so I reverted back to torrents and started seeking private trackers to fill my needs in content.

That demand of quality and variety of content is why I sought some movie trackers right of the bat instead of others. I quickly learned that they had massive choice and that was right up my alley,

monkies8it

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Because it's a fact? I prefer compulsively hoarding files to compulsively getting high. I fail to see how that affects my credibility.

Klaus

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Why do I pirate? Well I don't want to wait two years before TV episodes come available in my country nor do I like the fact I am just able to stream them instead of having a physical copy of them.

But that's not the only thing I think the movie industry gotta wake up and hurry their asses to the present, because they are living in the times before the internet got big. They just wanna make as much profit as possible and don't care about the needs of the consumer. We as consumers don't like paying $20 for a new bluray we aren't even able to play without connecting to the internet. They also still ask almost the same price for a DVD!! I just tried to once one but it is literally unwatchable on a 50 inch TV.

I do like Netflix but they are getting worse instead of better. Their new policy on VPN's sucks (thanks to the movie industry) and their content is rapidly decreasing. And if I want to be able to watch the majority of movies I am interested in I need at least 3 different streaming services. I am happy to pay more for Netflix (seriously I wouldn't even care to pay $30 a month) if they just improved their content, so new releases and more content.

So until there is a good alternative for pirating I will keep on doing what I do now and not feel bad for it.

Peace.

Last edited:

Seven

I get paid to shitpost
New Recruit
Gold
Also, pirating is much cheaper. You also get nearly all content in HD.

Necronomican

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
it started because i was young and broke , when your a kid with a small allowance how can you afford cds or movies,
i used to rent movies from blockbuster and use to VHS players to record them, sometimes i would open a VHS tape , and actually take the tape out , put an old workout tape back into the Blockbuster VHS , except i would purposely put the tape in backwards, that way when the next person would rent the tape it would immediatley get eaten by their VCR, shitty i know but i was around 11 years old(i had to cover my tracks)* :)

Then my family got a computer at the house and I began getting music, now im talking back in 1998-99, then my old nintendo broke, sega crapped , yea i had a 64 , i learned about roms , then came napster and kazaa was alot of fun, back when there was essentially no youtube kazaa had a bunch of music videos and such , things weren't as instantaneous as they are now , and my internet connection was so damn slow . i think the first torrent i ever downloaded was in 2003 or super early 2004 i was a squarepusher album, i didnt even know what a torrent was , i grabbed the little file , and then i was wondering where the actual songs were , i soon realized i needed a program

shortly after that i was introduced to DC++ , which was great for discovering so many groups i never would have been exposed too, i used to browse peoples folders just grabbing songs here and there and seeing if i like them etc , if i enjoyed it id grab an album , if i really liked the stuff which i most often did, id go see the groups live , buy a TV shirt or something, then i got back into torrents , slowly realized how much was out there, internet connections got faster, i started grabbing movies, and anything else i wanted to get my hands on,

fast forward to now, I use torrents (both private and public) ,and Indexers (Usenet) like a madman , I help run a site with a great group of individuals, I remux Blu-rays (old films) , i do it all in my spare time, it helps with my boredom beautifully , i've met some great people in theses communities, i've seen movies i never would have seen, i've heard music i never would have heard , and as a result i've spent money on certain things that I never would have spent money on(concerts, hardware, servers, services , I still go see movies regularly, I like sharing things , i may have shared things with you , i may not have but its all out there, i take and i give thats what im all about ,

Thats where i come from, and thats why I Torrent , and other things till this day

Reactions: oklahomaboy

shanjan

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
I torrent because I live in middle east, even if I wanted to I couldn't pay for 'em.

I truely belive knowledge should be free and available for everyone.

What if Einstein, Newton, Socrates, etc copyrighted their work?

laptop

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Its fast, easy to access, simple, and has huge backlogs of content not available cheaply or easily in high quality. Seriously, some of the books I have found on private trackers I haven't been able to find a picture of online.

Reactions: DNS

LadyCuddles

* TPSR IDJC Radio Sensei *
Gold
I know I've already posted here, mostly on the reasons "why" and "when", and basically, its some kind of rationale for being a pirate. But, in a simple sentence, to answer the topic of this thread....

So? Its 2016, Why Do I Torrent? Because what I torrent, and am a pirate due to, still exists.

Matt27

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
The piracy culture is present everywhere in my country. CDs and DVDs of hollywood pirated movies have always been sold on the streets as far as i know for a decent amount of money the population here could afford. When i was a kid, legal original DVDs were so rare if not inexistent. I remember a hypermarket once brought them. The price tag was so enormous for a movie that it engulfed 1/4 if not more of the basic salary of a person here. So one might say we pirate stuff to stick it to the big man.

Availability of the content is the main problem. Some of you guys are mentioning a Bluray for 20$, we can't afford that here. Not for a movie. Hell, i don't even own a Bluray player. I have a DVD player of years ago which is still good but unplugged. Everything now goes though portable hard drives/ pendrives directly into the flat screen tvs.

There's been a small change recently towards the availability of content. For Google play movies can be bought or rented. But still no TV Shows, no music, no books. The only viable option right now is Netflix which turned international recently. Not that expensive related to the content, and unlimited streaming. But internet speeds are still an issue in my country. Streaming HD from netflix, if available in your area is extremely expensive!

Better download. I have an old laptop hooked to the router. Leave it on 24/7 for downloads or not. It may take hours or days because home download speed is not much.

• Agree
Reactions: Yankoff