It's 2016. Why Do You Torrent?

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Reaction score
Gold
It would not surprise me if the present covid conditions would not force more people back into torrenting. With jobs disappearing and the economic hardship which comes with that, might force folks to abandon the often pricey streaming services.

Reactions: 1 users

whoami

Shipmate
Shipmate
Reaction score
Gold
It would not surprise me if the present covid conditions would not force more people back into torrenting. With jobs disappearing and the economic hardship which comes with that, might force folks to abandon the often pricey streaming services.
You're right! Can confirm. A few years ago I stopped being active in certain communities due to many obligations, and with this covid thing, everything has decreased, that now I have "more free time".

Likewise, economically it is not so profitable to have and pay for all the different streaming sites, it is more likely that people will come to look for something more centralized and free.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

twisted330

New Recruit
New Recruit
Reaction score
Gold
I use torrenting for many reason. First of all, it's safe if you only use private trackers. Second, depending on the people, I sometimes become a community member who is very active. Third, all content is organized. Example: If I want to go find a movie, I use a tracker that has a bunch of movies indexed and organized. I know that the movie will be there and I know I will be able to download it rather quickly. Lastly, I can watch or hear or play content on my own time and at the best quality possible. Also, if there is a movie I really like, I can store it on my hard drive for future viewing rather than buying the BluRay.

Omen

Resident ass bandit
Swashbuckler
Reaction score
Gold
Because money ! No JK, mainly because if you want to have acces to, let's say, TV shows, there's absolutely no way you can have the choice torrent trackers have to offer.
Paying streaming sites and what not can be good and cheap but they are bound by their contracts so for exemple if you have Nteflix and want to watch Doctor who then bad luck. And it's only one exemple.
Private trackers are more discrete now that the big bad WCD went down, I think wer'e not as watched as we used to be, but I'll never consider a private tracker as a "safe place", unless it's a really closed one with no open reg where almost everyone knows everyone. Thus implying a certain commitment by the members despite RL commitments.

Bluedeath

I am just Blue
Community Rep
Reaction score
Gold
I started like 10 years back was looking for some music a friend invited me to one of the large trackers , and i was amazed with the entire private site thing.I hade done limewire and TPB and some I.R.C stuff for some things but this site hade everything including a chat and forums i was in total awe lol..I was hooked so i started editing and moved my way up to admin one day ..then the entire zek and co. stated to happen so i moved on to smaller sites mostly tsse and the likes but they just did not have the size i had grown used to as far as torrents and members .so here we are 10 years later and i now own my own site .
i figure it was easier to create the vibe i felt needed to come back to torrenting that got me hooked so many years .

way to many ego's or money grabs out there i personally think torrenting has gotten so big that people have forgotten how it all started was a few tech minded people sharing stuff /and having fun doing it .
the funny thing is now have over 1k torrents daily at my disposal and dont hardly grab anything from the site lol

so i guess i do it for the chat and the fun of tha game