Is There Any Point To Being A "Snitch" In The Torrent World?

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
This is a really interesting thread (learn something new every day :D. Having been invited only once to a tracker (all the others had open sign-up), I cannot understand where all these traded invites are coming from ? Hell, I did not even know that invites were traded until a couple of years ago, and was really stunned when I saw the prices some of the tracker invites go for. Why someone would snitch on a peer who invited someone in good faith is beyond me, though I do not understand what is meant buy a "giveaway".
And I do have another question, where are pple supposed to meet pple for invites ? After all they are not your next-door neighbor/your brother/your bud from highschool; how exactly is one to know someone on the internet ?
Hehehe just ruminating here :dance:.

• Agree
Reactions: othersna and run930

run930

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
This is a really interesting thread (learn something new every day :D. Having been invited only once to a tracker (all the others had open sign-up), I cannot understand where all these traded invites are coming from ? Hell, I did not even know that invites were traded until a couple of years ago, and was really stunned when I saw the prices some of the tracker invites go for. Why someone would snitch on a peer who invited someone in good faith is beyond me, though I do not understand what is meant buy a "giveaway".
And I do have another question, where are pple supposed to meet pple for invites ? After all they are not your next-door neighbor/your brother/your bud from highschool; how exactly is one to know someone on the internet ?
I agree. All the invites I received are from online friends not from people I know in real life. But still there's a difference between inviting someone I kinda know (like from here or from a tracker I'm on) than the invites forums/ trading.

Reactions: othersna

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Google on "tracker invite" as a complete n00b and check the first five results, maybe even more. They're all for sale, which is considered equally bad as trading AFAIK. If you buy a few, you might find someone else who did the same, and there you have it: n00bs trading. Luckily for me it never came to that :) But I do feel it should be spread more widely, because I can definitely see how a n00b would not know about these rules. And in being desperate getting 'in', googling this and seeing how easy it is, they would only find out it's 'not done' by reading the rules... guess where the rules are? IN the tracker, hence, they broke the tracker rules already at the time of discovering their mistake.

I've had such an experience - it's NOT fun. Spread the word as far as possible. I've played with the idea of suggesting this as a TPS V3 site improvement, but refrain from it since I've had enough grief of a mistake made half a year ago. Hope this provides some clarity. People are supposed to meet other people for invites on sites like these, and/or on trackers, but NOT on the sites that advertise with them. I sure was confused by it LOL but hope you haven't made the same errors, and tell all you know to not go onto such sites, spread the word as much as possible, it's horrible to go through.

• Agree
Reactions: othersna

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
Google on "tracker invite" as a complete n00b and check the first five results, maybe even more.
I wish people stop using this as a form of excuse. I think most of us are mentally capable enough to not just jump on every first Google result when searching for something but read some things first, not? Besides that people not knowing things start pirating to get free stuff, that's the first and main reason so I find it strange they suddenly want to start paying (big) money for some invites. If you're a total n00b as it's been called you use public trackers where 99% started out so when you start searching for private trackers it's mostly because you already have read on things about privacy and private trackers, why else make the change?

guess where the rules are? IN the tracker, hence, they broke the tracker rules already at the time of discovering their mistake.
Some trackers have their rules available to read up front, but if this is not the case, and all the above still fails (which it does indeed), I don't understand why people don't come clean straight away and probably save their asses. Instead of that almost everyone is aware at that time but still silently wait until they get caught and start claiming "hey, I didn't know this".

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
I wish people stop using this as a form of excuse. I think most of us are mentally capable enough to not just jump on every first Google result when searching for something but read some things first, not? Besides that people not knowing things start pirating to get free stuff, that's the first and main reason so I find it strange they suddenly want to start paying (big) money for some invites. If you're a total n00b as it's been called you use public trackers where 99% started out so when you start searching for private trackers it's mostly because you already have read on things about privacy and private trackers, why else make the change?

Some trackers have their rules available to read up front, but if this is not the case, and all the above still fails (which it does indeed), I don't understand why people don't come clean straight away and probably save their asses. Instead of that almost everyone is aware at that time but still silently wait until they get caught and start claiming "hey, I didn't know this".
It's what happened to me, and I don't see why it couldn't happen to others. This doesn't justify anything, and I never claimed it did.
The reason I changed from public to private was that A. TPB went down and B. 30,000+ torrents on a single day were deleted from KAT.

Also, it wasn't big money, but I guess some 'higher' trackers are more expensive.
This also as a result of being a noob, no idea which trackers to go to.

I understand your cynical stance, but it's how it can go, how it went, and without proper education for the new n00bs prolly how it will happen again; and no, not everyone is equally astute in making such assessments. Let me do you one better, when I wrote my introduction here, the part I wrote about being kinda dumb was largely motivated by that experience. It's easy to see mistakes in hindsight, it's even easier to criticize from a high up position as a seasoned torrenter but the hardest is to answer the dilemma, how to prevent this from happening? That would solve a whole lot more than pointing fingers and criticizing someone for a past mistake.

Honesty, however, has worked in my favor, so you're spot on there. And I definitely recommend any one reading this with something on their conscience to follow this route. In the end it's the best, even when confronted with messages such as which I'm getting now.

Reactions: Dwarsligger

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
without proper education for the new n00bs prolly how it will happen again; and no, not everyone is equally astute in making such assessments.
And that's just because people search a thing, have no interest in reading and start clicking the 1st few posts on every Google search. You can't educate people on this as we're talking about private trackers, instead people should learn to read things with a little patience and sain mind. It's piracy, people want things for free, so if someone's first thought is to start spending money to obtain this I don't quite understand this way of thinking.

Let me do you one better, when I wrote my introduction here, the part I wrote about being kinda dumb was largely motivated by that experience. It's easy to see mistakes in hindsight, it's even easier to criticize from a high up position as a seasoned torrenter but the hardest is to answer the dilemma, how to prevent this from happening? That would solve a whole lot more than pointing fingers and criticizing someone for a past mistake.
You cannot prevent this, simple. People make money out of everything and will always do so, and people will fall for it and get screwed. Scamming is as old as the world itself. But it's not difficult to start using private trackers without visiting seller forums proven by the many people who did it. If people's first search is "tracker invites" I can only assume they did in fact already read some things, or are too lazy to do also a search on for example "private trackers" or how to get in there.

Honesty, however, has worked in my favor, so you're spot on there.
Mistakes are there to be made, as said it can't be prevented. On the other hand coming clean as soon as you read the obligated rules is something most buyers/traders are not willing to do, so from that point on there shouldn't be any excuses anymore. I'm glad you're doing fine after a bad experience and hope it encourages others to do the same. ;)

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
I can say that the topic of "invite forums" isn't too common on tracker forums, and it isn't exactly clear to a n00b how bad some of these places are because there isn't much talk about them. (except here, perhaps) Now invite trading and selling is clearly stated to be against tracker rules, but when it comes to invites, often the tracker rules just say "No public giveaways" which is somewhat vague. (There are other trackers which clearly say not to get invites from invite forums as well. These trackers are on our NML.)

run930

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Is there a real difference between selling an invite (not that I've ever) or inviting someone you barely know from another forum/tracker? It shouldn't really matter to the tracker I mean. If the invitee is a good member- Great. If the invitee is bad- ban him and the inviter.

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
Is there a real difference between selling an invite (not that I've ever) or inviting someone you barely know from another forum/tracker? It shouldn't really matter to the tracker I mean. If the invitee is a good member- Great. If the invitee is bad- ban him and the inviter.
There is very little difference if you know someone barely from a forum somewhere, but the main difference is you're not exploiting the tracker by making money out of it. But many forums work with some userclass system that encourages people to start inviting numerous of persons so it's pretty clear from tracker staff's point of view you don't know them well. It indeed doesn't do much harm if you invite good members but the way those systems work it's almost inevitable bad users will be invited too (not to mention frauds looking for new ways in).

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
but when it comes to invites, often the tracker rules just say "No public giveaways" which is somewhat vague.
It's not that vague if you ask me. Public giveaways, so on forums visible by everyone like most, are a no-go. Forums like this where people need registration after being screened are ok according to that rule, NML'ed trackers excluded ofcourse. That's the strong point of a forum like this, mutual respect and communication ;)

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
It's not that vague if you ask me. Public giveaways, so on forums visible by everyone like most, are a no-go. Forums like this where people need registration after being screened are ok according to that rule, NML'ed trackers excluded ofcourse. That's the strong point of a forum like this, mutual respect and communication ;)
With public giveaways, you mean invites offered, yes ? What about invites offered privately between 2 pple who know each other from the tracker ? I think othersna is correct in calling it vague :) And, where do trackers on the NML get THEIR members.
I would never pay for an invite (against all p2p core principles), but, like oklahomaboy, can understand how newcomers can get muddled. But in my case, it starts to answer some of the questions I have had about private trackers.:D

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Yes. Invite selling is universally considered a bad practice which will get you globally banned from the private tracker world. (My other blog article goes over why.) Doing a "giveaway" to someone you don't know is bad, but not quite as bad, because money is not involved.

What about invites offered privately between 2 pple who know each other from the tracker ?
This is fine. Tracker rules say invites are for your friends who you know and trust. That is why I have no problem with members offering invites to any tracker to a known and trusted friend in private, even if it is a NML tracker, but for me I try to get to know the person at my trackers as well as at TPS. For some trackers, say you have a good friend here at TPS and you offer him an invite to a tracker via PM, and he turns out to be a bad user. When the tracker staff then ask you, the inviter, how you got to know him and you say "from TPS" they might get upset. At least if you got to know them at trackers it shows you made more of an effort to get to know this person. (This is how I was able to keep my account and invites at trackers where I invited someone who turned out to be a bad user.)

cherwonk

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Well after staffing a small and private tracker that had its share of invite selling, trading and give aways I'd have to be inclined to say that none of these methods are welcome at most private trackers. In fact we frowned upon our members even belonging to invite forums. Of course the staff had accounts at most of them, how else did we find who was dealing in our invites.

As far as snitching by members, believe me when I say we welcomed it and checked each out thoroughly before acting on any tips. But on the other hand note were made in profiles because snitches were not to be trusted. You might get a hit and run knocked off or get enabled again but thats it, and only once.

If you gave an invite out privately and your invitee ended up doing any of this... his whole invite tree was wiped and you got a warning. Thats just how it was. Was it harsh? Yes of course it was, did it help? Thats debatable.
In the long run the selling or trading of invites will only hurt the site you are dealing with.

Snitching on these people will only hurt you, because the bigger question is how did you know that the invite originated on an invite forum? Of course ...you were a member.

Reactions: thedeh

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
the bigger question is how did you know that the invite originated on an invite forum? Of course ...you were a member.
Not necessarily. The problem with most forums is that they are just open to anyone without registration, meaning all content is visible to everyone (not pm's ofcourse). But when you see a giveaway to a specific tracker on those forums it's not that hard to figure out that all the registered members there saying "thank you" got their invite on that forum, mostly even with their location added (speedtest) and some profile screens from other trackers. Invites combined with specific writing styles can point easily to 1 member and can show all his 'whereabouts'.