Introducing ToTV -- a new kind of torrent tracker.

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
Welcome to ToTV!

I have been lucky enough to get an exclusive look at one of the most promising new trackers in a long time. In a world where the experience of BitTorrent is entirely uniform and, dare-I-say, quite often monotonous, ToTV has stepped in to break the mold.

This is a brand new television tracker brought to you by some true veterans of the BitTorrent community. Each person on the staff has years of development experience, many of whom I know personally and am excited to see emerge with a new project. When you first pass the registration screen it becomes clear this tracker has been striving to innovate the torrent experience and incorporate features that other sites are lacking. Their stated aim is to "bring about a new generation of private trackers that boast of style, functionality and sustainability".

The following is an interview with their Sysop that should provide our members with a nice insight and sneak preview at the upcoming site:

What choices did you make in regards to ratio requirements?

We have chosen, like a few other trackers, to forego the traditional ratio and buffer system in favor of easy access to content for all. We recognize that users in some countries have a hard time keeping up a ratio and we don't want anyone to be hindered in their TV experience by things they can't control. As long as you seed to the best of your ability for the minimum time, you will always be able to acquire the TV you love.

What will the userclass system at ToTV be like?

We've streamlined the userclass and promotion sections to include only what is absolutely necessary. Torrent sites have long been bogged down by many superfluous classes that do nothing more than cause strife in the community, and we've vowed to take that problem out from the get go. You'll find basic classes; User, Power User, a couple custom classes for big contributors, and then our staff. As far as the staff team goes, you'll see mods, admins and sysops. There are no staff leaders, first line support or "user coordinators" here.

Designing the codebase from scratch obviously provides a unique opportunity to develop brand new functionality. What can we expect at ToTV?

Instead of taking the Gazelle or TBDev bases and modifying them like everyone else has, we decided to go a completely custom route from the codebase to the tracker itself. Each and every section of the site has been designed and coded from scratch with the utmost care and bug tested extensively to ensure you have a smooth end-user experience. No one is perfect of course, so if you do find a bug we encourage you to use the Staff PM feature to let us know about it. We've tried to take into account the things that users are faced with everyday; social media, cell phones and the like, and tie them all together. The Friends list feature was long something that had no use on the majority of sites, but we've reintroduced it with social media style flavor to show you what your friends are actually doing on the site. This is all optional of course, and can be turned off with the paranoia settings in the user profile editor. One of the best features is the auto refreshing of the browse page. If you leave your browser open, the page will automatically update itself with the newest uploaded torrents. No more refresh hammering while waiting for your favorite shows!

Here are some of our key features;
  1. Multi-user messaging where you and all of your friends can participate in group messages at any time.
  2. Push notifications for mobile so you can be notified immediately when something you're waiting for is available.
  3. The menus across the site are available in several languages, thanks to contributions from our translators.
  4. The Paranoia system has been reworked so every individual setting can be turned on or off separately, allowing users to create custom security settings that fit their needs.
  5. The Recommendation system has been beefed up to give you a better user experience. You'll get new recommendations based on what you view and what you download, but also what other users are viewing and downloading as well. We're constantly working behind the scenes to make better connections and drive you into your next favorite series.
  6. Our custom-coded themes offer things like collapsible menus, animations and resizable, grid-layout style homepage content boxes.
You're starting from scratch, what can we expect in terms of content?

All new torrents are automatically uploaded as quickly as possible after they pre to provide our users with swift, stable access to the content they desire. These torrents also come unrarred for your convenience, so you get only the file you're looking for and none of the hassle of unpacking. On the site itself, the codebase is maintained by some of the most talented hands the P2P community has to offer, so you can rest assured that we will be serving your pages quickly and efficiently.

What kind of community do you seek to foster, will it be family friendly or more "libertarian"?

Everyone likes to have a home tracker, somewhere they can go everyday and feel like they belong. We at ToTV strive to provide not only fast access to a wide range of content, but also a safe, fun and engaging place for users to follow discussions and participate in contests. The staff are all disciplined to work together and promote fairness and equality for all users, regardless of userclass or "P2P cred." All staff members will enforce all of our rules the same way for every user, every time. We hope you'll find your next home with us.

You're developing a brand new codebase, will it be open source so the whole community can benefit?

While the codebase won't immediately be available for distribution, it will eventually be open source when the site has had time to run with a decent amount of users to allow us to debug stuff and smooth out features. We believe this will be a welcome development as there is certainly a lack of platforms currently out there.

And finally -- what I'm sure many of our members will be wondering at this point -- how can they join ToTV? Will you be recruiting on TPS?

We will be giving out invites when we're ready to hit Beta. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. And yes, we'll have an official recruitment thread with TPS. :)

ToTV appears destined to launch torrent trackers into the future. Care to tag along?

Last edited:

dieNal

thedeh is awesome
Captain
Gold
True the deh, but i think theyd have less cheaters to worry about if they did it public

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
BTN had open signups (like most trackers have) and recruited on T-I. Is that worse than recruiting on /r/trackers?
Yes but times have changed and trackers have learned since then.

Aren't there plenty of options already to get TV content, like BTN/Freshon/BMTV/HDT/every general tracker?

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
Yes but times have changed and trackers have learned since then.
Times have changed and trackers have learned? It's my understanding that T-I essentially called off the agreement, not BTN.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, I've just never understood the concept of "security" when it comes to trackers. If you and I can get into trackers don't you think powerful copyright organizations can get in? The idea that because trackers like BTN have an invite system that they're safe has always seemed fanciful to say the least.

And I don't mean to single out BTN here, I'm just using them as an example. I think it's the same for all trackers.

Aren't there plenty of options already to get TV content, like BTN/Freshon/BMTV/HDT/every general tracker?
Well compared to BTN the others don't even come close and BTN is difficult to get into, so there's definitely a need for a new top-tier TV tracker. Especially one that appears to be unique like ToTV.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
I'm probably not going to join, since BTN gets me everything I need, but good luck to them. As a new tracker, they will probably need to get the word out and recruit. Though "security" is important, if they play the "secret URL, secret tracker, hard to get into" card, they will fail. (See TV tracker "Shazbat" if you want to see the consequence of being secret now. Not only do you get only a few members joining you, the details of your tracker show up on Reddit anyway. ;) )

Now I remember when BTN first came out, the fans of BitMeTV said the advantage BMTV had was having lots of old TV shows in season packs where BTN at the time just had mostly scene releases of current shows. But BTN had really dedicated uploaders who not only uploaded old TV shows, they provided "Internal" encodes of WEB downloads of current shows.

So this new tracker should provide more than what can be found at a General/0day tracker if it's going to want to rival BTN. Torrent retention is also going to be important as well.

CMMurrayIsDead

Captain
Captain
Gold
I've tried out the site for little while, and for being pretty much in alpha stage right now it isn't too bad. The UI is pretty great and unique, but some of the purported features are currently unusable, though that's understandable given the tracker's age. It's very promising, but they have a lot of work cut out for them. Not to mention they have very well known staffers and coders backing this.

More competition (especially against the big three) is definitely welcomed, especially one as ambitious as this.

Nostalgia

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
TheDeh said it just as I would have. Recruitment from /r/trackers is a pretty weak deterrent if it's under the guise of "security reasons." Besides the thread is only informational; even the mailing list is just to inform you that the beta has started, it isn't a guarantee of an invite.

Either way I'm excited. TtN isn't appealing for various reasons & MoreThanTV is a nice fledgling tracker so far but this one seems to have the most potential. Can't wait to sink my teeth in.

paradox8

CN Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
I must say from looking at the screen shots the site does look pretty sleek, but all I can say is their work is certainly cut out for them considering their competition is going to be BTN. They're going to need one hell of an internal encoding team to draw any users over or they're simply going to be left with people who were either disabled at BTN or never managed to get in there in the first place....On the flip side, I do suppose BTN has somewhat closed its ranks now so you never know maybe there is room for another TV tracker but then again I honestly wouldn't consider the private BT community to be actually growing in users and pretty much anyone who isn't scum has an account at BTN. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BTW...Is it just my eyes or does it actually have BRRip as a filter on browse page and no option for BDRip.... I hope that is simply a mistake by someone who isn't aware of the difference considering BRRip rubbish is banned everywhere except for IPT where they seem to be a real hit lol.

Reactions: othersna

CMMurrayIsDead

Captain
Captain
Gold
I must say from looking at the screen shots the site does look pretty sleek, but all I can say is their work is certainly cut out for them considering their competition is going to be BTN. They're going to need one hell of an internal encoding team to draw any users over or they're simply going to be left with people who were either disabled at BTN or never managed to get in there in the first place....On the flip side, I do suppose BTN has somewhat closed its ranks now so you never know maybe there is room for another TV tracker but then again I honestly wouldn't consider the private BT community to be actually growing in users and pretty much anyone who isn't scum has an account at BTN. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BTW...Is it just my eyes or does it actually have BRRip as a filter on browse page and no option for BDRip.... I hope that is simply a mistake by someone who isn't aware of the difference considering BRRip rubbish is banned everywhere except for IPT where they seem to be a real hit lol.
Nah, they have most filter options covered I believe, including BDRip: http://i.imgur.com/zMitQDS.png

Reactions: jonah_ro

dieNal

thedeh is awesome
Captain
Gold
example: ggn passed away, but revived after a few goings on, but when it did, people had no where else to really go

Reactions: Cthulhu

paradox8

CN Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Just remember, btn may die some day, so where else do you go if btn died.
Thats one of those cross the bridge when it comes to it type scenarios though, pointless holding onto a tracker purely because you 'might' need it one day, chances are you'll get disabled for inactivity before that day comes and then you're stuffed!

Status
Not open for further replies.