How TPS is viewed in the community

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

everfang

The Nicest Guy
Administrator
Gold
Being a member here for so long, TPS has become my home on the internet. I know what TPS stands for and what it is to me, but after 9 years, I think I have a biased opinion and it's hard to see the site without looking through rose-tinted glasses.

I was recently engaged in an IRC conversation where it was clear the few people I was talking to (not TPS members) thought TPS was elitist and that we were a bit up our own asses and took ourselves too seriously. It surprised me. I don't see TPS in that light and thought about why it might be perceived that way. So I did a little "soul searching" into why this might be.

Thinking back, I remember when I first came here and I was scared to post because of all the rules that were unfamiliar to me. I also got in through an interview rather than an application, so I suppose that did add a bit of "eliteness" to the whole thing. I thought there were so many different sections here that if I posted in the wrong one I would be warned or banned. I saw people getting in heated discussions with each other and I didn't know the dynamic of their relationship so I didn't know if it was in good humor or if they were actually angry with each other and I felt inadequate to participate in case I made the wrong person mad. I remember feeling like I had to tip-toe my way through the site. So in retrospect, I do remember a time when I thought I wasn't good enough for TPS. After revisiting this memory, I can see why people might perceive us in a negative light. And I'd like to change that but I don't know how. I need your help.

Over the years, TPS has evolved into not just a forum to talk about BT, but a forum where each and every member has BT as a common ground to start from regardless of the topic being discussed. I like to think that TPS isn't just for the elite, but is an accepting place you can come to learn as well as offer and receive opinions from varying backgrounds and world views. My time as staff has shown this to me too, since through our application process we do let people in with less experience than ourselves, and our member base comes from all over the world. We've had conservative, liberal, spiritual, and philosophical members. We've had engineers, business owners, doctors, and students. Some members are seasoned staff from trackers, some just recently got into their first private tracker. TPS is a place where you can gain some truly amazing insight from the wide spectrum of members we have here, if you keep your mind open.

After my initial hesitancy to participate when I was a new member, it seems so obvious to me now that TPS encourages our members to be inclusive. We value each and every one of our members. We give everyone a fair chance to thrive here. We encourage everyone to speak their minds, even if they have differing opinions. We have numerous sections including one specifically for debates so members can get into deep and sometimes controversial conversations without fear of repercussion. Just like any forum, sometimes it gets out of hand (eg bullying, name calling, etc) and staff have to intercede, but I've come to appreciate the relatively hands off approach of moderation. We also have a section dedicated to help, both general and site related. It's a place where members can ask anything without worrying about being judged. If someone is still hesitant to ask a question openly, we even have a private section where anyone can ask a question or raise a concern, but only trusted members can view and answer the questions.

Regardless of all that, it's meaningless if people aren't comfortable at TPS to begin with. Our mission statement has remained unchanged since day one, and it is inherently inclusive. We want to help teach others, less experienced people included, what we can - and specifically without the "elitist BS." And if our members and the community as a whole don't see that being conveyed then we have some serious work to do. If we are actively perceived as being elitist, then we need to take a step back and rectify that.

I'd like to know what our members think. If you're an old timer, how did you feel about TPS before joining, and is that different from how you feel now? If you're a newer member, what do you think? Does the site/members (no names please) intimidate you in anyway? How did you feel about TPS before joining, and have your views changed since joining?

I've always wanted TPS to be accessible to as many people as possible. Of course we have to vet our members just as any private site does, but I don't want that to hinder people from applying or participating once they've joined.

I'm looking for honesty here. This is a thread for sharing personal experiences, both positive and negative, and constructive criticism. It's not a thread to bash members or TPS as a whole. The input here will be invaluable to TPS moving forward and seriously taken into consideration.

I've debated posting this at all, but I trust our members to keep comments on topic and civil, so please be as constructive as you can.

MuddSlinger

Community Rep / TPS Asshole of the Month
Community Rep
Gold
TPS is elitist, those who think it is, need to not listen to their friends with a shady past and tactfully check the community out for themselves,
the attitude oh their just elitists who think their something special is like someone, sitting on facebook downloading from thepuratebay, saying
oh private trackers are all the same just a bunch of people who think their better then everyone else.

If you've never been a member of a community then how can you honestly form an opinion of it, someone on the outside depending on a third parties view of a community is like letting a movie critic pick the movies
you watch and if that is your life, letting others pick everything for you then your missing out on the best things in life, while those who feed you full of disinformation
enjoy themselves in the places they told you suck, or elitist...

Calling a community a bunch of elitist, when you never been apart of the community is like driving a Chrysler 300 , claiming it looks like a Phantom...

Last edited:

bennet321

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I personally can say my experience so far has been great. I think people often use the term elitist to sort of 'write off' any sort of place they either don't see the value in joining or they are not willing to do what it takes to join.

• Agree
Reactions: mancity

brianinkc

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Maybe people are misusing the word elitist. I just joined but I’m not seeing any real elitist behavior. It seems to me that when people use that word in relation to bit torrent they are mostly butthurt because they can’t figure out how to join in on the fun or haven’t put in the required effort. In my experience there’s nothing really out of reach (internet things aside) if you really want it. ...and honestly, getting on here wasn’t a goal it just came across my radar. Are there people out there that are pissed they can’t get in? If so, maybe the word is exclusive rather than elitist. Anyways, I’ll keep hanging around until I find out you are all a bunch of elitist jerks.

• Agree
Reactions: mancity

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
My experience is that TPS is more close to the opposite of elitist.
I blundered a few years back. It could have been construed as a non-negotiable ban (which some trackers opted for) yet TPS was still welcoming me.
I've met here plenty of peeps who have helped me in numerous ways.
Got into places I otherwise couldn't have dreamed of ever getting in. Got recommendations and advice nowhere else to be found.
Made a few real life friends even. I could never have expected any of these when first joining.
It's been an amazing ride and I very much enjoy hanging around here. And I hope to continue doing so for a long, long time.
Only once has someone talked shit to me about TPS and the kicker is it was someone residing at what I consider an elitist place ;)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: street_fighter

Raoul

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I've never been really active here and I've been away from this "torrent community" thing for a while, but as long as I can remember TPS was mostly known for being one of the only invite forum respected by tracker's staff, and where you wouldn't get banned for being part of it.

But now is this community still a thing? Seems empty everywhere I check, even for the big trackers where there's still peers activity the forums are pretty empty.

Wicked

Captain
Captain
Gold
But now is this community still a thing? Seems empty everywhere I check, even for the big trackers where there's still peers activity the forums are pretty empty.
For some reason, no. TPS for me only has worth as a place for pirate news and talk. And there is next to none lately. Its elitist in the same way House of Frazer was.

street_fighter

Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Gold
Elitist in the sense that you have to make a slight effort to get in here or something? That means that all private trackers are elitist in that case.

I would say this is one of the least elitist places I know as basically anyone can get in if they really want to. Whether members have been here forever or just recently joined, whether people are on all the "elite" trackers or not, everyone is treated the same here. We have all these user classes and stuff but it actually doesn't really mean anything, you find that out when you rank up :)

I have nothing but good things to say about TPS, I guess it's easy to talk shit on the internet about stuff you know nothing about. And if somebody does, what does it matter anyway. The fact that we have recruitment for here on some trackers and vice versa shows that generally the tracker community is cool with us here.

sDx

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I haven't been here for a while, and was invited due to my older status as one of the oldest members at many popular trackers..

I just recently remembered this place as I was talking to a fellow friend and member, and I was curious if it was still active. Glad it still is. I don't view this as an elite type of forum, though in the sense obviously not everyone can make it in, it just seems that if people in the community these days are getting that 'elitist' attitude for not being in here, then that's their own view. Everything is subjective in life, point-blank-period.

pWned

L' enfant terrible
Pirate King
Gold
I think the term "elitist" came about because whatever we are now and have been in the past, the one constant thread running through the history of TPS is that this has always been a site promoting and even demanding good BT citizenship. Many a trader and cheater found his/her demise here, and the site has always respected tracker rules and wishes.

I think the elitist label comes from that attitude, in that we have never accepted playing it loose with tracker rules and good behavior in general.

There's a gazillion douchebags out there pretending to be good tracker users but then letting lose in private forums doing everything from trading to cheating. To these people, I can see how we might appear "elitist," because the acceptance level to this type of shit around here is less than zero. So ... maybe it's a good thing they call us that.

Bobby

Buccaneer
Gold
I have always viewed TPS as a place that does it's best to grow and cultivate good members for private trackers through education and good practices. A place where you could come, and with effort, get invited to those private tracker communities that you have always wanted to be a member of. It was the same way with ETIV, which I know was modeled after TPS back in the day. But people will be people, and people are lazy. Make them work and follow some rules and suddenly the ones that don't want to will talk shit.

Reactions: MuddSlinger

KarasuZ

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Its even expected, as you have less discussion communities now than ever. You start typing more than 2 paragraphs and either you are triggered, dramatic, or its a wall-text. Today, either you deliver one sentence - if you use a current meme, is even better - and expect the likes and people cheers for you like you are some sort of Savior.

I joined TPS a little time ago (compared to some members, one year is nothing really), and even after my break, I see TPS as the same place as I ever saw: This community who knows how to handle a discussion and even encourages it, with topics that aren't afraid of being sensitive or controversial, whose members engage in discussions with a lot to say and add to it; and if you are willing to, you have always something to add in the pot.

However, every good place has its rules, and here, people respect it. I joined TPS with the same fear some may have, but never thinking it was elitist, but rather a community that takes the BT community very seriously, which became really clear on why, after reading a lot of threads here about the topic (ie., trading and selling). From a person that loved debating back the day, I remember joining some threads on TPS with the same excitement as years ago, ready to defend my points and add my view to things. It wasn't perfect by any stretch, as I have the language barrier and i'm not that expert on tech knowledge, but even so, never once I felt I was left behind or my opinion wasn't worth it. I even got in contact via PM about some quite dumb questions and was answered in kind.

If people think TPS is elitist, it may be simply because here people take stuff rather seriously, in a world that everything must be a meme and something to be loudly laugh at... Until it becomes old stuff and it moves to the next "omg xd" thing. Hell, even in the news I see people getting quite angry about topics that have been going on for more than one week, simply because it's old stuff.

kilroywashere

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I'm a very new user so my experience on here is limited but so far I have felt that the community here has been quite inclusive. I still haven't even gotten access to the invites forum yet I've gotten quite a bit of value from joining TPS. The forum post detailing which trackers have invite forums where has been SOOO helpful. Before I was stumbling in the dark but now I have a direct game plan for getting on the tier 1 trackers I've been trying to join for years now. So far I think this place is awesome!

Sparrow115

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I'm a very new user so my experience on here is limited but so far I have felt that the community here has been quite inclusive. I still haven't even gotten access to the invites forum yet I've gotten quite a bit of value from joining TPS. The forum post detailing which trackers have invite forums where has been SOOO helpful. Before I was stumbling in the dark but now I have a direct game plan for getting on the tier 1 trackers I've been trying to join for years now. So far I think this place is awesome!
I would have killed for such a well organized piece of information when I was first starting out. I'm very new here but not other places. I can honestly say I kind of stumbled through a very lucky path to get where I am today.

spolding

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I really like the place. There is a lot of valuable information. And the best part is (something I noticed) very kind people. If you ask something or need some help couple will rush to give some valuable advice and try really hard to help you. Really happy about deciding to join it and thankful to the person who invited me. I've read here and there it's not too active, not many people post - but in this case, it really doesn't matter. It's not about the number it's about the quality of the community.

pWned

L' enfant terrible
Pirate King
Gold
I really like the place. There is a lot of valuable information. And the best part is (something I noticed) very kind people. If you ask something or need some help couple will rush to give some valuable advice and try really hard to help you. Really happy about deciding to join it and thankful to the person who invited me. I've read here and there it's not too active, not many people post - but in this case, it really doesn't matter. It's not about the number it's about the quality of the community.
Yeah, it's gotten really really quiet though. You should have seen this place around 2010/2011 .... IRC main channel was 24/7 and so busy, you could hardly keep up with the number of individual great and hilarious convos.

I guess the "dead by a thousand papercuts" is a mix of a general loss of interest in torrenting due to vastly improved streaming services and the rise of platforms like reddit. Oh the glory days. People would run home from work and drop everything to hop on TPS, it was truly insane around here. And the drama llama had shit on us! Oh the glorious dramaz we had around here! I almost miss that too, haha.

Reactions: trefla

Ceder

seeding like a boss
New Recruit
Gold
Not sure if my view is even valid from me being away for like years but when I first started out here I too was a bit scared to get warnings.. Even though I had been torrenting for 5+ years when I found this place 🤪