How Picky Are You When It Comes To Video Quality

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
My screen is around 110"(when I have a working PJ), I only grab full discs and the occasional mux(prefer to mux myself) as difference in resolution is visible IMO.

I'm jealous! I was at a relative's house watching NFL football on a TV like that with a full 1080 HD broadcast and you could see every individual blade of grass on the field. (Plus the relative had home theater sound.)

Re divX <- What a totally sucky way to encode. a SD divX looks blurry with poor resolution even on a 13 inch monitor. The other type of encode I hate is .wmv .

Reactions: nkka

Scooty

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Quality means what exactly? HD vs SD or group x vs group z?
When it comes to DVDs there is also the discussion about what looks better or picture fidelity. (If anyone here is at SDBits, there is a discussion going on about it right now).
It could be also endless when you start to go on about what is noise and what isn't noise, how much is too much grain, etc.

Talking about HD.
I'm not an archivist and the only stuff i'll keep forever are probably my own encodes. That being said, i think about going for the better alternative for the same medium more a good practice rather than something i'll notice while watching. It should be every p2p encoder objective to achieve a good picture. Frankly, the difference between two HD encodes from decent encoders won't be noticeable with the flick running, or it is really boring for you to notice that slightly shifting instead of enjoying the show.
I really doubt anyone here ever said something along the lines "boy, i should have gone with CtrlHD instead of Skaliwagz" while watching or that the experience was ruined because some frame has a sector 1.5% more blurry than at another encode.

I push for quality in recognition to the encoder who got closer to the objective of compressing the movie with the better image or because it is something fun to do while encoding my stuff. If it is something that absolutely must have pretty visuals to almost placebo-tier requirements i would watch a source now that bandwidith is not a limiting factor for me.

Reactions: othersna and nkka

nkka

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
"I really doubt anyone here ever said something along the lines "boy, i should have gone with CtrlHD instead of Skaliwagz" while watching or that the experience was ruined because some frame has a sector 1.5% more blurry than at another encode."

That's very true, the difference is only apparent in comparison screenshots IMO, I have watched plenty of 1080 encodes and all have looked superb. (credit to all encoders that take the time to produce these)

I am probably just overly fussy by grabbing a complete over a 1080 encode these days, but I wouldn't DL a 720 encode at all unless there is no other option.

• Agree
Reactions: Schweigen51

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
For SD, I know the old scene 700 MB rips were pretty poor. On any kind of bigger screen the images get blurry. A Handbrake rip with correct settings is ok. I use Handbrake myself, and there is an internal release group that uses Handbrake. For the best encoding techniques, I've seen the instructions on how CN makes their internal encodes - Uses about 10 programs including MEGUI. The technique includes removing grain and reversing telecine lines, if you have an old movie that came from tape. (There is a way you can do it in Handbrake as well.)

For HD encodes, the guide at HDBits is similarly pretty extensive and complicated, so I appreciate the work of the internal encoders.

Scooty

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Encoding DVDs right is much harder than encoding HD if you ask me. The scripting it takes to VFR, remove artifacts such as rainbows, dot crawls or blocking because the source is bitrate starved is insane. The new techs introduced with BDs corrected many of those issues.
Dunno about the HDB guide, i've never seen it, but i imagine it is not much different from the SD one at SDBits.

The picture fidelity vs quality also comes in discussion here with SD. Max fidelity would be achieved by preserving this kind of noise but I don't see why anyone would want to keep something that worsens the picture.
This is an example of dot crawl if someone doesn't know the term

It is, however, a problem with the source itself.
The hardest part of encoding DVDs was AVISynth followed by x264 settings. BDs made the AVISynth part much easier so if you follow the guides at CN in example, you will see that it is not that hard despite how long it may appear. You could also ditch GUIs and go command line with a .bat file. If you already use handbreak you probably are familiar with much of the stuff already.
It will require patience to do the test encodes thought, as there is no one-setting-fits-all.

The difference from scene to p2p is quite noticeable because they have different objectives, the former is a rip bot who needs speed and fixed sizes so the picture is compromised, even more when they would only release Xvid. You don't need a big screen to see it not it is as subtle as in two p2p encodes.

Last edited:

jonah_ro

the Lame
Shipmate
Gold
For TV I download SD scene releases of talk-shows and other programs that don't have a lot happening on screen, and 720p WEB-DL's of TV shows I watch regularly.
For movies I will initially go for a 720p scene release, and if I appreciate the performance and want to watch it again / archive it, I will download a 720p internal.
I never download 1080p, unless there is nothing else available.

As for music, I download FLAC for classical and a number of contemporary artists that I appreciate and think put a lot of effort into their recording. For all else, mp3 VBR V0.

Reactions: othersna

T3RRa

FSC staff
Community Rep
Gold
I mainly download only scene SD/HD content for a couple of reasons mostly.

Scene releases get translated to my native language earlier than any p2p, so that's one factor.
The other one is just a sentimental one, since i keep an archive of what i download for years now and it's all scene stuff i don't feel like stopping now (plus necessary for dchubs).

Regarding quality, i choose SD when it comes to tv series in general, with a few exceptions here and there.
For instance a few that come to mind: bluray for twin peaks, 720p for reality shows like the voice / so you think you can dance etc (yes i do watch those. :p).

When it comes to movies, it's always HD when there are special effects in the movie or it's a movie worth keeping, in any other case SD releases that i may delete if i watch the movie and it really sucks.

PS: since i usually watch everything on my pc monitor, 720p seems more than enough, in a reasonable size too. I don't have a surround system for the tv so i prefer my 5.1 on pc.
My tv is not huge either (somewhere around 42'') so i can't tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p encode, thus the 720p preference.

Schweigen51

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Hey,
I'd say I'm looking for the best quality available, lousy rips really show on my 50" plasma. I would prefer not to go the full blu ray route and get a nice release or remux, but if full BR is all that's available to me, then I'll take it.
But then, as othersna pointed is the question of what format the movie's available in. There are many movies out there that seem to only be available in DVD quality. A bit of a shame, but what ca you do ? So, let's say my goal is to get the picture first, at least in reasonable quality and then, the better quality the happier I'll be.

megamind

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
i usually go fo sdrips: bdrips, 720ps or web-dls if it's a new movie and sometimes i settled for dvdrips for olde movies

Vaalbeast

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
It would be nice to go all out 1080 for TV shows, but these scene releases are usually released hours after the SD/HD, at least on the trackers I'm on. Worse, sometimes these files have insane file sizes...a recent Mad Men episode was something like 23GB.

So for the most part, I'm quite content with the 720p that come out minutes after air date. If I want to rewatch or find an older show, I'll likely get an adequately sized 1080p bluray rip of the season.

CFour

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
when I sarted watching torrent releases of movies I used to download a dvd release. But when I saw a 720p release I switched immediately to the HD releases and sometimes 1080p release for a big movie I was waiting for but recently I switched to BDRip and BRRip releases I don't have enough space and the limited speed in our country
But for tv shows I usually download SD releases except for some shows like game of thrones and the walking dead HD is my choice and now we have the webrip releases it's quite good though

DeepBlueMorocco

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I'm the odd one out here. Threw out my television in 1999 and have seen very little TV since. Most of the content I watch was produced between 1927 and 1982, the majority of which will never see an HD release. (And with films like E. Elias Merhige's Begotten, Bill Morrison's Decasia, or Eno's Mistaken Memories of Mediaeval Manhattan... what would it matter?) As such, the old 700MB downloads intended for portable viewing are just fine for me.

However I have a ridiculous obsession with the quality of SOUND in my media. I'll throw stupid money at the best pressings of a given recording and go to enormous lengths to create the ideal environment for its delivery.

kabunga

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
i normally tend to download everything in 720p, 1080 only when i plan to watch on the TV but tbh i watch almost everything on the computer screen.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
DeepBlueMorocco DeepBlueMorocco I've gotten into the 24/96 (or even higher) High Def audio thing - yes they are huge files for a single song.

Vaalbeast Vaalbeast
a recent Mad Men episode was something like 23GB
I will get the absolutely highest resolution I can to look at Peggy (played by Elisabeth Moss) :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

There's an HDB internal of Season 1 of Mad Men - 75 GB - totally worth it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

pWned

L' enfant terrible
Society Trustee
Gold
I will get the absolutely highest resolution I can to look at Peggy (played by Elisabeth Moss)
Wait whut........ whut???

Omg I find that woman to be one step short of repulsive. Not meaning to be mean, but she really doesn't look good at all. She's charming, but utterly unbangable.

RedDunce

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I loooove me some high quality 576p encodes. On my setup they look pretty much transparent compared to 720 and 1080p. However when I am at my buddys house who has a super nice projector I will grab GP 1080ps at PTP or x264.me..even though I cant personally tell the difference really ıt ıs nice to know I am gettıng the best product possible.