Do You Tell Anyone You're A Pirate? Pt II: Close Call

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

kuzeth

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
As another Australian I find it interesting you guys are a bit hesitant to let people know you pirate. I don't care who knows that I pirate, we all do it here. The only downside to mentioning my pirate activities is it usually starts an argument about seeding, public trackers, YIFY, etc. I've never been hesitant to admit it. Why are you hesitant to not shout it from the roof-tops? So to speak? In my eyes its as something as harmless as letting someone know you pee'd in the shower when you were 7 years old.

Tankki3

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
My immediate family know but my friends do not and certainly no-one else. I don't tell my friends because they would only ask me to download loads of stuff for them!
yeah definitely, i know my friends ask me for stuff a LOT, gets a bit irritating after a while, but sometimes it does make them happy, especially if i don't have enough money to get them a gift(n' lately the economy in the US is making it more and more difficult to make money without resorting to illegal activities)
I have the same experience with my friends who ask stuff alot :D But I think that's fine, I usually like to give them stuff, that's what I do best :p

I don't see problem for people to know that I pirate. OK, I don't want everyone know that I do it all the time and I'm part of these private sites and so on. That's what I tell my closest friends and family. But with almost all people I am going to talk about piracy pirate themselves too. Maybe Game of Thrones episodes or something like that. They are pretty open about it too, so it's not that hard topic for me to discuss even if we don't know each other that well.

Last edited:
Reactions: meltdownmdk

megamind

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
yes but i don't tell them about private trackers, but i do tend to avoid saying downloaded that movie or song and instead use the words watch or listen

Evolbor

Panama Red
Administrator
Gold
I tell only those that I can trust. But I do not go into detail on how I get it, such as showing my trackers (maybe to super close friends like a bro before ho kinda type) only. But ultimately that is on me for opening my big ass mouth.

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
I don't tell anyone. If I slip up and admit that I've seen something that isn't available here yet I claim that I bought it from iTunes or another retailer.

Lxm

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Almost everyone I know knows about this. I sometimes preach de word of piracy. I like getting into arguments about this topics.
Maybe is because in my country there is no interest in catching pirates. In fact, I wouldn't have any problem to post here or in some tracker personal info like my FB page. I feel pretty confident the police is never coming to arrest me for my piracy activities.

meltdownmdk

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
i wouldn't recommend mentioning it on FB, simply because they give up info on practically everyone, sometimes without a request lol, twitter is a bit different as they've stated numerous times that they'll deny requests for information(i think the only exception is if someone posts pics of people they murdered or something heinous like that)

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
An Aussie colleague of mine always downloads crappy quality stuff at the school we work because he fancies burning everything to DVD. The downloading happens mostly at the PC in the classroom. We've had some chats about downloading stuff and eventually I mentioned private trackers to him, he heard about 'em but doesn't seem to care much. KAT and RARBG are his Gods :)

There are a few bookcases full of his downloaded DVD's in DVD cases showcased in the classroom, including self-printed covers. It's a government school, but no one has ever questioned the authenticity of the materials :) Must be over 300 titles there. Occasionally he offers me some discs, he has amassed so much he doesn't know what to do with it.

Reactions: othersna

scoobynz

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
I tell everyone - everyone I know is happy to take my downloads from me and use them, so they are implicit!

MaDTaZ

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
Isn't the first rule about being a pirate is not to talk about being a pirate.

No wait that is fight club.

Snowbird

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Back home I had a nickname PK - pirate king :pirate3: .

I used to download for people I knew about. They were not so well versed as to where to look for content and I used to get it for them. All this happened with public trackers back then, but now after moving to US, its all private trackers and only my friends in private trackers know about my stuff.

And as for my roommates now, I have banned them from joining any private tracker :arrr: as long as I am using the internet connection ;). and yes !, I get the content for them :D

freedomshadow

Captain
Captain
Gold
If this copyright application goes through, the courts wont be allowed to use the word "guilty" :D . it's a copyright application to claim "The written form and/or verbalization of sound expressed to identify any fact unassociated with innocence" If people can own air rights then why not communication? ;) Then you could tell whoever you want! With permission of course :p

Sting

Captain
Captain
Gold
No joke when they say everyone pirates in Australia, they do mean EVERYONE pirates in Australia. I even life with a pirate family and my dad got me into it! :plunder:

If you don't talk about your pirating habits you are deemed a social outcast :p

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
Or you do and they haven't told you? For me, most buddies don't use private trackers but rather public ones.
If they can't get what they want they use newsgroups, AFAIK. Sometimes come to me to copy a new HD's worth of movies though :p

run930

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Or you do and they haven't told you? For me, most buddies don't use private trackers but rather public ones.
If they can't get what they want they use newsgroups, AFAIK. Sometimes come to me to copy a new HD's worth of movies though :p
Yeah that's possible.

cherwonk

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Back when I was downloading I didnt go out in public and tell them I was a pirate. My close friends and of course my family knew. How else could you explain having a bootleg of the movie that opened yesterday playing on your TV.
But now .... after my fiasco the whole world knows I am/was a pirate. I speak up when asked about it. Sometimes I dont even wait to be asked. I advocate for piracy every chance I get. When you arent breaking to law its easier to speak up.
I'm sure you'll be reading more from me on the outside in the next few months. I just got out 2 weeks ago and am getting in touch with my coding again. I'll have a "legal" site up and running in a month or so.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
cherwonk cherwonk - What happened? By "got out" do you mean you got out of jail? For being a pirate? Let us know the details if that's true.

Last edited by a moderator: