Do You Tell Anyone You're A Pirate? Pt II: Close Call

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
I was going to add this to my original blog article on this topic, but I can't find it, so I'll make a new one. Previously, we discussed why you might be careful who you talk to about your downloading hobby. I mentioned before, except for very close friends and family, the only other people I talk to are other fellow pirates, but they have to admit it to me first before I reciprocate. Glad I keep this "policy."

Anyway, a few days ago I was having a casual conversation with someone I met. Usually the conversation will turn to what we do for a living, and he said he worked for a "music publishing company." This got me interested, so I asked him what he did there, and he said their company holds the rights for various popular songs, so if a filmmaker or TV show director wants one of their songs for their movie or TV show, they have to go through his company to get the rights.

As copyright infringement is a topic near and dear to my heart, ;) I joked about it. I mentioned how people can get in big trouble if they violate copyrights, and used the example of how Katy Perry's people are threatening to sue the guy who is making a 3D printed action figure of the "Left Shark" character from her Super Bowl show, and how TV shows have had to pay big bucks if they use songs without permission.

He wasn't joking and was dead serious when he said, "If anyone uses one of our songs without permission, it's ME who will be doing the suing." Needless to say, I didn't talk about any copyright infringement I had done in the past. ;)

P.S. I think his publishing company deals mainly with commercial copyright infringement, as a movie or TV production company that violates copyright is a sitting duck in court and will usually pay up. Much easier money to collect than to go after BitTorrent pirates. ;)

TheFranswer

Time Lady
Radio DJ
Gold
It might have been interesting to get his take on the cases when companies have gone after people erroneously or for things that would be considered fair use.

cube

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
no way. This is like telling people you are a drug dealer. I know lots of people who pirate content through Kodi (xbmc)addon-ons. They do not download to keep. They just stream content. Is so much easier for them. They purchase these boxes from amazon that come preloaded with everything imaginable for less than 100 bucks.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
It might have been interesting to get his take on the cases when companies have gone after people erroneously or for things that would be considered fair use.
It would have been interesting to see if he'd admit if his company ever lost a copyright fight. It seems like the TV show or movie which violates copyright is caught red handed as the video evidence is right there. (It ain't fair use if a TV show or a movie uses a popular song without securing the rights first. Fair use might be a scholarly discussion of the music by a professor at a university, and done not for profit.)

Dwarsligger

Wicked Sick & Twisted
Ex Staff
Gold
If a music publishing company starts to go after some relative stranger telling them they downloaded some files it means that company is rather pathetic and anxious. There's a copywright watching 'company' here in the lowlands too that just sends letters to everyone putting on a radio or trying to give some sort of party or concert. Their latest move was sending bills to people maintaining web radio's (like TPS radio). Altough they represent only a handful of local artists they try to make people pay for playing Queen songs (for example) while Queen doesn't even know them and sure as hell never see 1 penny of the collected money. It's been run by an over-the-top artist who just wants money, nothing more. Things they make you pay for: radio's in doctors waiting rooms, music at school during lessons, music in shopping malls, etc. Another big company that collects copyright money collects E75 million/year, but some actor like this guy got paid E75... over the last 10 years! There was a satiric program once a few years back that called such company to tell they were giving a concert and provided info on which artists would perform but instead of artists they gave all sorts of names from food cans. They still had to pay a huge sum of money and when exposing everything they didn't see their cash returned up to now.
But no, I myself don't fear of telling someone (not every random stranger ofcourse). We are all on some trackers and pirate more organized than the John Doe's on public trackers, but even if we move some TB's around we still are very small fish in the piracy sea. They won't gain anything by going after one of us and most companies are aware of that after they sued some single users over a couple of downloaded songs with huge fines, pointing them to the fact it didn't discourage anyone from downloading. Maybe I would think differently if I was running a tracker or was part of some release group but as a user I don't care much. Users that sell pirated material are another thing, they deserve to be sued.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
I remember going to a party and chatting with the DJ. He flat out said he got his music from illegally downloading them, and when he plays the music at the party he doesn't pay royalties. He says he doesn't get caught because he works at private parties that are closed to the public. (That way the copyright trolls don't know what he's doing. The trolls usually will prey on clubs and bars that are open to the public.)

If there is music playing in a shopping mall, you can be sure someone is asking the business office if they have the rights to play it. The music industry should pay ME every time my ears are assaulted by "All About That Bass" or "Shake It Off" when I go to the mall. ;)

Things they make you pay for: radio's in doctors waiting rooms
I think I'll set up a playlist of illegally downloaded music and start playing it in my waiting room. ;) (Except several of my patients work for the entertainment industry and might inquire if I got the rights to play the music. ;) )

Cherokee

Willing to Give Trump To Australia
Dark Pirate
Gold
I can remember reading one of the things they have posted in the wall of a health clinic (one that caters to people with no money). They had to pay thousands to play DVDs in their waiting room. I was thinking, gee, why not get some crappy second hand magazines, get rid of the DVD player, and you'd be able to pay for the medicine for probably another couple hundred people a month.

everfang

The Nicest Guy
Administrator
Gold
I usually don't mention anything unless I'm comfortable with the person I'm talking with. I never outright say it as a conversation starter. And if I'm not comfortable enough to bring it up, just like you, if they say they do it first then I will mention I do. But I rarely meet someone who actually belongs to any private sites. Just people who vaguely know about them and want me to invite them, which has been a pain the few times it happens. I just tell them I don't have any invites, but some of them ask, "Why?" Ugh.

meltdownmdk

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
lol i don't really hide it if someone asks, but then again pretty much everyone knows what i'm up to without asking haha, i think it's because people know how psychotic i am and they don't know exactly what i'm capable of either(i've been quite public about it and even posted my pics lol), they don't bother to try to harm me or 'bring me down'. cause in the end it'll either make them look foolish, or land them in the grave :D

Reactions: othersna

everfang

The Nicest Guy
Administrator
Gold
i think it's because people know how psychotic i am and they don't know exactly what i'm capable of either(i've been quite public about it and even posted my pics lol), they don't bother to try to harm me or 'bring me down'. cause in the end it'll either make them look foolish, or land them in the grave
No need to imply you may want to murder someone someday - now we have to testify against you if you ever do! :p

Back to the topic though, it's funny because I'm curious about Japanese people and their downloading habits so I'll occasionally bring up the topic of pirating during a class to hear opinions - without telling them I download of course. I know a lot of big time hackers are here in Japan, and whole programs are written completely in Japanese for the sake of downloading, so there IS a scene, it's just really underground. I forget what the program was called, but I used it for a while until I realized what it did. When you download file x, you also download little bits of files y and z that you never even see happen. Then you seed back those little bits, again, never seeing it happen, and you have no idea what files y and z are. Super sketchy since it could be something very damaging such as CP.

Anyway when I ask my students if they download anything, I've only ever had one person say they do, and the others all had zero interest in it, and really didn't know the extent of what was possible to download. During college I think I was pretty liberal with telling people I downloaded since pretty much everyone did (and no one had careers yet so they didn't have anything invested like othersna's friend) but now, especially that I'm in Japan and it seems like only a VERY specific demographic downloads, I feel like I'd be shunned if anyone knew.... lol Ok, not that bad, but whatever.

SHA-1

Buccaneer
Gold
Around here a lot of people download, I usually don't start any conversation about it. If the topic is mentioned I'll always ask what people use for a source, sofar had 3 persons that didn't answer with KAT, TPB or torrentz.eu. They never ask back so I never tell :p Even walking around in my TPB hoodie has never lead to any recognition.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Now was it Japan, or Korea, or both where the laws are so strict that downloading something illegally is actually criminal, so that kind of thing is really hush hush? (Note the extreme secrecy with Korean trackers - it's not because they want to be 1337 ;) )

Reactions: meltdownmdk

Memcon

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
Just yesterday I had a conversation about torrenting and why I choose to have a VPN provider. After tip-toeing around the subject of pirating, I said that I mainly use it for "safe internet surfing". Although this is true, I first got it for torrenting.

When we started talking more about pirating movies he asked me if I had any recommendations about how to get "good" movies. I simply said I use TPB and other sites. In the past I have been a little more forthcoming with my hobby but have found most people don't get it or think it sounds like a lot of work.

Most of the time I play dumb and recommend, Kickass or Yify. :)

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
Like I think I said in the last thread, I'm completely open about my piracy.

In Australia everyone pirates. We're the perfect example of why the copyright industry has failed. If you make exclusive rights agreements that result in there being zero options for reasonably priced content available. People are going to steal your shit.

This is helped by the fact that so far we've been able to escape censure from the copyright lobby as our Courts have sided with ISPs and consumers over copyright organizations. Unfortunately, however, they are now seeking legislative remedy.

I guess the conclusion to this is that I tell everyone about piracy, but not about private trackers. I simply ask if they "seed back" to which I usually get the response of "fuck no". And that's that.

everfang

The Nicest Guy
Administrator
Gold
Now was it Japan, or Korea, or both where the laws are so strict that downloading something illegally is actually criminal, so that kind of thing is really hush hush? (Note the extreme secrecy with Korean trackers - it's not because they want to be 1337 ;) )

Just recently they imposed a law here for jail time if you get caught downloading. That was within the last 2 or 3 years.

parrothead

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I pretty much tell everyone, not really scared of being caught... been doing it years on private sites with no problems. Some people (some of my family mainly) really disagree but w/e I do it and everyone knows it. Theres times I've been willing to pay to get something but it was so much of a damn hassle I ended up bootlegging it.. too much drm etc (not to mention I'm broke haha). Its quite frequent I even bootleg stuff that I own

Reactions: othersna

BigDanJesusMan

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Like I think I said in the last thread, I'm completely open about my piracy.

In Australia everyone pirates. We're the perfect example of why the copyright industry has failed. If you make exclusive rights agreements that result in there being zero options for reasonably priced content available. People are going to steal your shit.

This is helped by the fact that so far we've been able to escape censure from the copyright lobby as our Courts have sided with ISPs and consumers over copyright organizations. Unfortunately, however, they are now seeking legislative remedy.

I guess the conclusion to this is that I tell everyone about piracy, but not about private trackers. I simply ask if they "seed back" to which I usually get the response of "fuck no". And that's that.
personally i don't tell anyone apart from my immediate family and a few close friends but lets face it im from Australia, its basically tradition . And the Australia ISP's don't care or really do anything about it, a few of my mates have said they've received infringement emails but that is as far as they go.

Lindy

Castaway
Gold
My immediate family know but my friends do not and certainly no-one else. I don't tell my friends because they would only ask me to download loads of stuff for them!

meltdownmdk

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
My immediate family know but my friends do not and certainly no-one else. I don't tell my friends because they would only ask me to download loads of stuff for them!

yeah definitely, i know my friends ask me for stuff a LOT, gets a bit irritating after a while, but sometimes it does make them happy, especially if i don't have enough money to get them a gift(n' lately the economy in the US is making it more and more difficult to make money without resorting to illegal activities)

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
For my family and close friends, I'll download stuff for them, as long as they don't "abuse" me. (and they don't)

By the way, remember my blog article about my office manager freaking out when I suggested I was going to upload the music CD from her heavy metal musician friend, saying he would "lose money" if people downloaded his album for free, but conveniently forgetting all the free stuff I got her from trackers.