2 Mini-Articles: 1) If you invited a bad user 2) Are you a collector

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

R4I

I'M A 3.5" CHODE
Pirate
Gold
R4I R4I - In an earlier time, IDE might be considered a "1337" site. You guys are publicity shy, don't like the URL revealed, and it's fairly hard to get into. (not asking for an invite - some of your staff have already offered one to me ;) ) . But today's torrent world doesn't have level lists and blogs which hype places, so it is hard to tell is if there is a lot of demand for people wanting to join. (that's the third element of a 1337 place - if it's desirable, often for the wrong reasons.)

Note I'm not putting down IDE. Lots of trackers just wanted to make a small place for friends who know each other, and for whatever reason it becomes desirable (unfortunately desirable to the wrong people) and that's when it gets the 1337 label, to the dismay of the tracker staff. I know staffers who were infuriated that their tracker was high up on the "level list." They felt that list did tremendous damage to their trackers because then all sorts of bad users (at minimum collectors) would now want into their tracker because it was labeled a "high level tracker."

On my other topic - having a tracker but not using and not contributing. On my backup places, or niche places, I've already grabbed what I wanted, have a decent ratio, even made Power User. But now I don't use them much. I still log in periodically to keep my account, lurk at the forums, and check out the browse page to see what's there. I don't want to lose the account because I might need it if there is something that I might want someday in the future.
We are not L337. I invited guys who were active in places. And the thing is that if Fo example if some one needs an invite, its should come from the right guy. Just sorting invitees. Nothing special tbh. And Invites are easy to get tbh. Most of the members have Invite. We just dont want publicity.

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
marigold marigold what in your opinion is the best way to join a desired tracker ? you can't just tell people not to do this without having another option to offer , if there is no other option i will have to disagree with you , it is totally fine and legit to join a tracker as "ladder", it is a win win situation for both the user and the tracker , the user did his part when he reached PU , Donated or whatever , and the tracker if it doesn't like to be used in that way they can easily remove the invite section , and that's it
I have neither forbidden nor dissuaded anyone from climbing such a ladder, but merely voiced my opinion that by the time someone reaches that all-sought-after tracker, they are a collector by default :D (by the way, collectors are fine by me, if they can handle a large number of trackers).
But truthfully, short of open sign-up, I do not know of another way. If it were a win-win situation for the tracker, when a "climbing" member joins, staff would not need to re-vet that member, as it would have been already done several times over. From what I hear in fact is, that bad users are more cognizant of what they have to do do in order to get invites from elusive trackers than good users. But hey, just my opinion :p. Being a member on TPS has taught me an in credible amount of stuff, I would otherwise not have a chance to know.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
SocietyLottery SocietyLottery - I actually wrote a blog article about the issue of using one tracker as a "stepping stone" to another. Basically my opinion was if you like music, it's ok to join what.cd to get the music and if you incidentally make power user and then use the power user forum to get invites as a side benefit, that is perfectly fine. It was more controversial if you don't like music, and just "go through the motions" to get to power user, and then probably abandon what.cd once you get into the tracker you really wanted to get into. (not saying you specifically , but just being hypothetical)

The other thing that some tracker staff get annoyed at, but something I don't have as much as a problem with, is if you wanted to get into HDBits but can't because you are too new to private trackers, so you get into an HD tracker that's easier to get into and then once you get into HDBits the other HD tracker becomes a backup. For that, my opinion is the other tracker should strive to be as good as HDBits ;) .

SocietyLottery

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
SocietyLottery SocietyLottery - I actually wrote a blog article about the issue of using one tracker as a "stepping stone" to another. Basically my opinion was if you like music, it's ok to join what.cd to get the music and if you incidentally make power user and then use the power user forum to get invites as a side benefit, that is perfectly fine. It was more controversial if you don't like music, and just "go through the motions" to get to power user, and then probably abandon what.cd once you get into the tracker you really wanted to get into. (not saying you specifically , but just being hypothetical)

The other thing that some tracker staff get annoyed at, but something I don't have as much as a problem with, is if you wanted to get into HDBits but can't because you are too new to private trackers, so you get into an HD tracker that's easier to get into and then once you get into HDBits the other HD tracker becomes a backup. For that, my opinion is the other tracker should strive to be as good as HDBits ;) .
I will have to check that thread some time soon , so many good blogs and discussions around, it is hard to read them all , regarding the first part I am just a practical guy i if some other dude told me that he wanted to get into a movie tracker that he heard a lot about , i will just tell that they recruits at X place , because honestly there is no other way to join , you can't tell someone to go and find a friend , make that friend trust you enough to risk inviting you.If trackers don't like that so much then maybe they should just open a public application for everyone, it is not my problem to think about as a user , this is a problem for the tracker staff.
I completely agree with you in the second part ,it just natural for any user to try to be in the best place , and as a tracker you should aim to be the best , sometimes "the best" can be just a warm tight place with an amazing community , so no matter how much bigger trackers you join you will always come back home ;) .

Antomon

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Another hard thing for me to grasp how do you quantify if someone is using site or is he just collector ? Sure, you can say he has to download/upload/seed regularly, but how much is that exactly ? 1 GB/10 GB/100 GB/ per day/week/month ? Or 1/2/3... torrents per day/week/month ? What is enough for me can be not enough for someone else and viceversa. While something like HD tracker generates lots of traffic, something like e-book tracker is opposite of that.

• Agree
Reactions: Cthulhu

R4I

I'M A 3.5" CHODE
Pirate
Gold
Another hard thing for me to grasp how do you quantify if someone is using site or is he just collector ? Sure, you can say he has to download/upload/seed regularly, but how much is that exactly ? 1 GB/10 GB/100 GB/ per day/week/month ? Or 1/2/3... torrents per day/week/month ? What is enough for me can be not enough for someone else and viceversa. While something like HD tracker generates lots of traffic, something like e-book tracker is opposite of that.
Totally Depends. 10 to 15 gb a week or month is okey! :) for HD and rest it totally depends.

nikisby

Arrr!
Pirate
Gold
Easy - simply do nothing. Assume this bad user was already on "the list." This is how the tracker caught him in the first place. Assume the info is being spread through the tracker network and as trackers are good at weeding out bad users, trust them to weed this guy out of the system. Now some trackers aren't as aggressive with weeding out bad users, and just deal with it. Don't piss off the staff by reporting him.
I want to extend this advice a bit. "Do nothing because trackers don't give a shit about their members being banned on other trackers". This is how tracker owners think: "If some user has a good ratio on my tracker and even uploads new stuff to it, I don't care if he's a trader/leecher elsewhere. He gives my tracker value for free, making it more popular, so people donate me more money and share more interesting files. So fuck off, nobody cares if you have evidence one of my members is bad. And if you dare bother me again, I will ban you".

It's perfectly fine to violate the major rules on some trackers (even on What) and still use others on a daily basis. "Global ban" is just a myth, proven by my example (which this thread is heavily based on). A guy got banned three times on What.CD, I shared all the evidence with this thread starter, yet nothing is done in almost 2 weeks time. And what's more important, nothing was done before. Which makes me think that there's no real communication between trackers (and between TPS and trackers too) and all they want to do is sit comfortably in their corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cthulhu

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
I think we're way off topic here, talking about whether or not trackers communicate. That has nothing to do with inviting a bad user or being a collector. This should be its own thread elsewhere if you really want to get deep and dirty about the subject, because there are an awful lot of factors that go into the whole thing.

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
I think we're way off topic here, talking about whether or not trackers communicate. That has nothing to do with inviting a bad user or being a collector. This should be its own thread elsewhere if you really want to get deep and dirty about the subject, because there are an awful lot of factors that go into the whole thing.
BlastGT1 BlastGT1 doing out jobs for us! Guess he just can't give up that staffer mentality. Quick, get this guy an admin position! :D

And GTFO back on topic fatboy R4I R4I !

• Agree
Reactions: CMMurrayIsDead

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
I want to extend this advice a bit. "Do nothing because trackers don't give a shit about their members being banned on other trackers". This is how tracker owners think: "If some user has a good ratio on my tracker and even uploads new stuff to it, I don't care if he's a trader/leecher elsewhere. He gives my tracker value for free, making it more popular, so people donate me more money and share more interesting files. So fuck off, nobody cares if you have evidence one of my members is bad. And if you dare bother me again, I will ban you".

It's perfectly fine to violate the major rules on some trackers (even on What) and still use others on a daily basis. "Global ban" is just a myth, proven by my example (which this thread is heavily based on). A guy got banned three times on What.CD, I shared all the evidence with this thread starter, yet nothing is done in almost 2 weeks time. And what's more important, nothing was done before. Which makes me think that there's no real communication between trackers (and between TPS and trackers too) and all they want to do is sit comfortably in their corners.
Agree you are generalizing here. There was "real communication" between TPS and trackers on your situation because I was the one who forwarded the info, but I wrote before I'm not going to be bugging tracker staff on what to do with the info. That's up to them and really not my business to be interfering with how they deal with bad users.

Now as far as how trackers communicate with each other, again, that's something for trackers to figure out. Their inter-tracker communication system is probably not a highly organized and rigid system and something more complicated.

Now look, I was in your position before. I really wanted DeadXxX globally banned after he lied to me. But I did not send Staff PM's to all the trackers where I had his profile links. The tracker staff would have immediately suspected I was a fellow bad user. But months later, I did get a PM from a staffer at one of my trackers asking what was the scoop on him, and he did get banned from that tracker (after a few months). So that showed me the tracker did use the information and was working on it, but took their time to confirm everything before banning him.

Last edited by a moderator:

R4I

I'M A 3.5" CHODE
Pirate
Gold
Yup thats a different matter and what the staffers do is always correct( Thats my point of view)
[DOUBLEPOST=1446505546][/DOUBLEPOST]
BlastGT1 BlastGT1 doing out jobs for us! Guess he just can't give up that staffer mentality. Quick, get this guy an admin position! :D

Nooblet i am all over the topic :p. BTW i r no more fat XD. Creasy is fat fuck :tease::mml::bitch:

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
No one has mentioned recruiters yet?

I have hired/appointed many a recruiter on several sites i staffed at. These fellas generally speaking are all over the bloody place and seem to know a crap load of people (collectors maybe? lol). They can invite like living robots, and a majority of their invites are great....but... Not a single recruiter has come back with 100% good members. Hell I am pretty sure almost every single recruiter has invited a trader by accident at some stage. How well can you know someone, these traders are dishonest by nature, so they are good at faking their way. Some can get suckered in very easily.

Did I ban the recruiter for the bad invite, did I remove his invite privileges? Well not really...sorta. The recruiter that invites a bad member say once or twice a year, yet invited dozens of good members, yep acceptable risk they keep their lofty privilege! The recruiter that invited 10 bad members in one year and a few dozen good members, yea not good enough sorry u lose your invites! Each tracker is different, each will make a different call.

As for a normal member inviting a bad user, again on my tracker staff will investigate and find out as much as possible. Honest mistake, knew the guy in IRC, thought they were good people etc...yea ok any1 makes a mistake, forgiven nothing more to do, they can still invite. Same report different person, after investigation, yea ok you wont get banned for inviting bad dude, but no longer able to invite. Each person is treated differently and its dependent on many factors we discover during investigations. A lot of the time the evidence is not totally clear cut, or could have been doctored..so there is always a gray area. Any member on my tracker can ask for a friend to be invited, sometimes I will give that member an invite so they can invite their friend. Sometimes I send them to our application and staff vote to allow them in. Again just depends.

Someone mentioned that donating will make you exempt from being disabled as a bad user...LMFAO. Come to my tracker mate and find out for sure...LOL. I lost count how many "new members" we banned even after they donated to the site. Risking my entire site by keeping a trader there is not worth the measly 5eur or in one case 50eur. I banned that mofo without a single thought. He is trader, he gets banned. Thats it...there is no discussion or anything else amongst my staff team. Even when we were desperate for money and the site was gonna shut down, we still disabled them. Fuckit would rather have our site close, than have asshole anti-p2p people on there.

Collectors...

Yea this is a term many have their own definition for. My definition is someone who joins a site and then does NOTHING. Or does the absolute minimum to keep their account active so it doesnt get disabled. I honestly think if sites dont want collectors joining then change your activity rules. That way u wont have any collectors. Do collectors hurt sites they join, only the very large ones that have pretty much run out of capacity. You are taking up an account that some one could be using actively instead. But seriously, not many of those sites around. When I new person joins BT community and ask advice about trackers to join...this is what I tell them...

Ensure you have at least 2 of every kind of tracker you like, example music, have 2 music trackers, movies have 2 movie trackers etc. If you want a cool community join a small site that value their members and live off community. Larger sites are more about content and earning enough money to keep stuff running, some are even businesses so are commercial sites. Then make sure you have 2 large scene trackers. The idea is if you lose one, you have a backup and time to find a new one. The idea behind large general trackers is when say both of your movie trackers close in the same week (yep happened many times). I also tell them to ensure they stay active on those sites, smaller sites need more help so better be more active there. Larger sites just keep them active enough to keep your account. They are also good for old stuff u cant find on smaller trackers.

So with that advice in mind, when I see someone not using their account, or just barely keeping it active, I call them a collector. But I also laugh, as I think its kinda funny to collect sites. If I told any of my friends such a person existed they would think I am nuts. Anyways, its all relative. End of the day I tell people do you think what you are doing could potentially kill a site, if so stop doing it.

Sorry for the long post, can't help it on TPS.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Re: recruiters - I felt these guys have an advantage over the regular members for a number of reasons. First, they are recruiting from the power user sections of trackers, which should weed out some of the bad users (the new ones). Plus a bad user knows that if he gets caught after a recruitment, the tracker where he got recruited has all his IP addresses, his invite tree, etc, so he may not want to risk getting an invite from a formal recruitment. (Other bad users might just "roll the dice" and chance it, and then start over if banned) Finally, I assume recruiters have ways of checking IP addresses themselves since if they are tracker staff they can talk to other staff at other trackers and then reference those addresses to the ones on "the list."

Remember the hardcore bad users (like invite sellers) aren't afraid of being banned. It's just part of the cost of "doing business." By getting an invite "for free" from a torrenter or recruiter, they can attempt to sell it for profit. And if they get caught, they'll just try again until they succeed.

CMMurrayIsDead

Captain
Captain
Gold

Sysop, I say!

Also, lol at "Do nothing because trackers don't give a shit about their members being banned on other trackers" and ""Global ban" is just a myth" :rolleyes:

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
members being banned on other trackers" and ""Global ban" is just a myth" :rolleyes:
I can confirm that "Global Ban" is a conspiracy us staffers have concocted to make it seem like we are all powerful and actually communicate with each other. Unfortunately I will now be kicked out of the staffer club for revealing this secret...oh well. Was a dumb conspiracy anyways :p

R4I

I'M A 3.5" CHODE
Pirate
Gold
I can confirm that "Global Ban" is a conspiracy us staffers have concocted to make it seem like we are all powerful and actually communicate with each other. Unfortunately I will now be kicked out of the staffer club for revealing this secret...oh well. Was a dumb conspiracy anyways :p
/me hides hey I was on the receiving end :p ;):p

• Haha
Reactions: dakka

Ethenred.

Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Gold
The possibility of inviting a bad user is what has kept me from handing out invites up until now. Since I don't have any friends in real life that would be interested in that kind of thing the only people I could potentially give invites out to are on the Internet. But that comes with an increased risk of inviting a bad user, even if I 'know' the person I am inviting.

While getting invitation privileges revoked or even getting banned would suck a lot it's not the main reason that bothers me - it's that I would feel weirdly guilty about letting a tracker down. They granted me invitation privileges in order that I could enrich the community with new, 'productive' members and I failed their trust. Is that a weird way to think?

TPS is actually the first place I feel remotely comfortable giving out invites at. So I'll just hope that I don't screw up.

Reactions: othersna

dakka

(,)(,)
Pirate
Gold
When in doubt contact a staffer of that site and ask their opinions. Some sites are happy to risk a bad invite if they know in advance. They can check the guy out as soon as he joins and monitor him for a while to ensure he is ok. Not sure how many would allow that, but I would imagine smaller sites that are dire need of new recruits would allow such a thing.

Reactions: jammyone

AbeSimpson

Gold
When in doubt contact a staffer of that site and ask their opinions. Some sites are happy to risk a bad invite if they know in advance. They can check the guy out as soon as he joins and monitor him for a while to ensure he is ok. Not sure how many would allow that, but I would imagine smaller sites that are dire need of new recruits would allow such a thing.
This is exactly what I did. About 1 month ago BTN was having one of their invite auctions and there was a user I was thinking of inviting. I knew he had been banned from a couple trackers so I asked staff at BTN ahead of time if I could invite him. After some discussion they told me it wasn't allowed under their rules so I never bid in the auction. Kept me and the invitee from getting into trouble.

Silk186

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
I really don't understand either of these.

Trader- it is a lot of work to get into good trackers. Surely a real job would be a far better source of income.

Collector- I was accused of being a collector before and I think many people new to private trackers can look as such. The accusation did annoy me as I put a great deal up time into uploading, building my ratio and class promotions. I wanted access to all types of older and new movies so I needed around 4 trackers (CG, Tik, KG + a general movie tracker) after I read that better trackers have better encodes ect. I also need trackers for games, ebook, porn, ect. That being said I seed on all and upload content if I can. What is the point of having a tracker with no buffer? Yah, I have this super 1334 tracker but I can't download anything from it.

• Agree
Reactions: dakka