2 Mini-Articles: 1) If you invited a bad user 2) Are you a collector

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

SocietyLottery

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Hmm. xbt aka P**** used to be very hard to get into. Only uploaders had invites and they tended to only invite fellow uploaders. (So you had to be at least a Power User at what.cd, show them a pic of your music collection and show a sample of your scanned artwork). Now they give out invites to regular members periodically, so it's easier to get into, so you don't have to be a music uploader to get in. So does that make them less "1337?" ;) As far as being "elitist," some of the members there are big-time "FLAC snobs." They will demand nothing but perfection from a music encode, including perfect tagging, and their idea of perfect EAC settings.
What type of EAC settings you are talking about ? and since a rip is a perfec flac 100% log, how could that matter ? it's a loseless rip anyway.
I understand the Tagging , artwork difference of course.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
xbt has a section for applicants for uploader to show examples of their work, and they need to show the log file, and sometimes a log file looks ok by me, but the members reviewing them will sometimes find all sorts of errors in them. I suppose if you run the rip through the log checkers at what.cd and it comes back 100% then it should be ok. xbt's standards for what is 100% perfect may differ from what.cd's .

Reactions: SocietyLottery

Grape

Buccaneer
Gold
Sites are sites! Even if he is a collector, if he is using the site then no one cares. If you are in more than 5 sites u r a collector. But this thing is vague collector tag and all. If he is active then sky is the limit.

Being a good member is important and donating to ur sites is even more important.
So true!

you damn collector:banana-3:

R4I

Retired bastard.
Pirate
Gold
So are we saying if you donate to a tracker they won't consider you a collector? :p ;)
No and yes. For instance if u have 50 trackers and have time for each one of them. You should be doing atleast two things. Being active in irc or Forums and Downloading or donating. If ur a donor then yes u arent a collector. Seriously you are helping the site to be alive :).
In that case staffer's are the biggest collectors :>..

If your are two things from above. Then u arnt a collector. As I said before, the term is vague!

But hey thats my take on eet. Others have their opinion's but hey they are wrong. :piratetongue::piratetongue::piratetongue:

Othersna are you a collector? How many trackers are u in? I know you have not joined many trackers and you have a better outlook towards things. But I see people who are collectors and are always moping that they are not.

But these same collectors keep sites like ***, ****** and ***** alive you know what I mean.

Hey I forgot to take Buggy's name in the best staffer of all time. And all the staffer's from FSC and FTN. They are the real deal and real gems of the BT world. Except for that son of a gun (Brandon)

For example if u donate to BTN and still they know u r a trader ;) you wont be banned. Atleast it used to be this way. So what so u call that? (They had a good reason for it as the donor might complain to paypal)

BTN and PTP used to recruit from Torrent-Invite. But when these motherfuckers and bastards become big for their own good. These same people axed T-I. Now they act like BIGTIMERS. Its the members and only the members who make or break the site.
:arr5:

Thats why I consider HDB as the best tracker in the world. No drama only quality.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cthulhu

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Othersna are you a collector? How many trackers are u in? I know you have not joined many trackers and you have a better outlook towards things. But I see people who are collectors and are always moping that they are not.
In my n00b days I admit I was. I joined a bunch of places via open registration and only used them minimally. I am probably pruned for activity at those places because I haven't gone to them in years. I have some trackers I use as "backup" so I also haven't used them in awhile. (But I was active enough after I joined.) I've mentioned I'm at some niche places like CG and KG where I might download something once a year, when I am looking for something that can only be found there. I also admit I used to get interested in some "secret" places just because they were secret - Skittles, WDMA places. (Not anymore) Never went out of my way to look for an invite to those places/

On the other hand, I've gotten offers for all sorts of "1337" places and I've declined because I don't need them.

I'm a member of about 20 trackers now. (I may be at more if my account hasn't been pruned at the ones I left) I still keep membership at ones I don't use much to be able to check profile links of applicants.

oklahomaboy

TPS Radio Team
Radio DJ
Gold
I'm with R41 on this one.
After multiple trackers I was a member of died, I was lucky to have others with similar content.
There is something to say for people who claim "You only need this, that and that and any more is surplus" but they don't take into account that trackers, each single one of them, can just be gone in a second. Poof, vanished into thin air.
This won't ever justify just being in places just to be able to brag about it, but as a means of backup tracker, given a good ratio is kept, I don't see why that would be frowned upon or deemed bad.

R4I

Retired bastard.
Pirate
Gold
In my n00b days I admit I was. I joined a bunch of places via open registration and only used them minimally. I am probably pruned for activity at those places because I haven't gone to them in years. I have some trackers I use as "backup" so I also haven't used them in awhile. (But I was active enough after I joined.) I've mentioned I'm at some niche places like CG and KG where I might download something once a year, when I am looking for something that can only be found there. I also admit I used to get interested in some "secret" places just because they were secret - Skittles, WDMA places. (Not anymore) Never went out of my way to look for an invite to those places/

On the other hand, I've gotten offers for all sorts of "1337" places and I've declined because I don't need them.

I'm a member of about 20 trackers now. (I may be at more if my account hasn't been pruned at the ones I left) I still keep membership at ones I don't use much to be able to check profile links of applicants.
Othersna you know me for what 2 years now? I started torrenting 3 years back. Lets say last 7 months I was inactive. I did not do shit.
So even when I was at me peak of activity I was never a member of more than 12 to 15 sites. I never joined sites which I wont use. There were so many trackers I wanted to get in and really had the influence to get in tbh but I went the hard way. Getting an Invite from staffer's.
Other thing is that I was the most active guy in the irc. 24/7 active. Even from me college I used to be online. But now I have become repulsive how the BT scene has changed. All wanna open their own site. We also did! But there is a difference. I had a irc chan which was the most active place in BT. Then when I thought we have loyal members, we went for a tracker. Its still running quite well infact it has increased level of activity as compared to other sites which started with us. We have mere 190 members and we release our own Encodes which are also Internal for HDB, BTN and <3 my beloved x264.me.

I am proud of IDE and the coonts that supported the site.
I wanted a site which was lawless. Where you can be urself. Do what ever you want and feel free to do any thing. Thats the sprit of Torrenting. But when you enter IDE you will get that warm feeling that you are welcomed for what you are. :) I learned this from x264.me. And I donno why people say c and Fubar are barbarians, I felt the opposite. They accepted me, even being a T-I member.
It feels sad coz that the feeling (sharing is caring) is gone. Its all about Bigservers and bullcrap.

So I will sum up my post in one line. We are more than Just Nick's. If you are so called L337 just go fuck your self.

Antomon

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Word "collector" is highly misused since people are trying it use it for people who aren't contributing to site (not downloading/seeding/donating/participating in community). To me collector is someone that has large quantity of stuff (trackers ex.), term doesn't imply that he isn't using them all. Sure, it can be hard to be active on multiple trackers at once, but it can be done.

BT community is creative one, sure we can come up for some better term to describe people who aren't using site and not contributing. Leech, ficus, a dud, doorstop etc.

R4I

Retired bastard.
Pirate
Gold
Word "collector" is highly misused since people are trying it use it for people who aren't contributing to site (not downloading/seeding/donating/participating in community). To me collector is someone that has large quantity of stuff (trackers ex.), term doesn't imply that he isn't using them all. Sure, it can be hard to be active on multiple trackers at once, but it can be done.

BT community is creative one, sure we can come up for some better term to describe people who aren't using site and not contributing. Leech, ficus, a dud, doorstop etc.
The word collectors mean who like to collect and do nothing. For example I was a collector 2 years back. I used to join the site just for the sake of Joining. But then I become active so my status changed from collector to a active user.

Last edited:

Antomon

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
The word collectors mean who like to collect and do nothing. For example I was a collector 2 years back. I used to join the site just for the sale of Joining. But then I become active so my status changed from collector to a active user.
I know what community means when they say someone is collector, but it is still missusing of word.

thedeh

I take drugs like a fucking champion!
SysOp
Gold
I currently maintain a total of 27 trackers, but I have an account at around 40 (the rest are probably inactivity disabled).

I joined a bunch of trackers when I first joined the private tracker scene, one from pretty much every category that I was interested in. Luckily PTP/BTN/etc. were less established back then and easy to join compared with today, which means I didn't have to play the game of "working your way up" through the currently less established trackers that people regularly do now. This saved me from a lot of redundant accounts (although somehow I now have accounts at five different TV trackers, how's that for redundant).

I initially joined about 12 trackers (over a year or so), and in the last 5 years I've joined about 25 new trackers. The only one I can think of that I sought out was HDBits.org when I got a fiber connection. The rest have been because I'm friends with the staff that run the tracker, or because I've had to verify the tracker for TPS.

If you looked at how many trackers I have vs. how much content I download you could call me a collector. Although I recognize the dynamic is different when you're a staffer in the bittorent community.

I maintain the current list for a number of reasons:
1. To review profile links in TPS applications,
2. to maintain a point of contact between TPS and trackers,
3. because I'm immune to inactivity disabling (through being a TC, a donor, or in a high userclass),
4. I've used it a lot in the past and don't feel ready to abandon it.

Although if I were on a small niche tracker that was capped out, I might allow the account to die, as I don't think that's fair to other people that would use it more.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
R4I R4I - In an earlier time, IDE might be considered a "1337" site. You guys are publicity shy, don't like the URL revealed, and it's fairly hard to get into. (not asking for an invite - some of your staff have already offered one to me ;) ) . But today's torrent world doesn't have level lists and blogs which hype places, so it is hard to tell is if there is a lot of demand for people wanting to join. (that's the third element of a 1337 place - if it's desirable, often for the wrong reasons.)

Note I'm not putting down IDE. Lots of trackers just wanted to make a small place for friends who know each other, and for whatever reason it becomes desirable (unfortunately desirable to the wrong people) and that's when it gets the 1337 label, to the dismay of the tracker staff. I know staffers who were infuriated that their tracker was high up on the "level list." They felt that list did tremendous damage to their trackers because then all sorts of bad users (at minimum collectors) would now want into their tracker because it was labeled a "high level tracker."

On my other topic - having a tracker but not using and not contributing. On my backup places, or niche places, I've already grabbed what I wanted, have a decent ratio, even made Power User. But now I don't use them much. I still log in periodically to keep my account, lurk at the forums, and check out the browse page to see what's there. I don't want to lose the account because I might need it if there is something that I might want someday in the future.

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
From where I'm sitting, it looks like this: There is a pool of good, vetted users on those most attractive top level trackers. There seems to be a ladder pple have to climb in order to get there. I.e. make power user on other trackers, so that an invite forum can be accessed. It seems this process must be followed several times before ending up at the tracker the pple wanted in the first place.

I just wonder how interested the folks are in those other trackers which have helped to get them to the "top". It just seems to me somewhat unfair to use trackers just to climb that ladder. And it seems one has to be a "collector" in order to get what one ultimately wants and I wonder therefore just how static that aforementioned pool is; I'm sure there are a lot of good pple who actually give up before reaching their goal.

SocietyLottery

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I would agree , and it seems like most people nowadays don't go after a tracker just because it is secret and hidden , I've only heard about IDE from here a couple of days go , and i would say that I am most of the time lurking at reddit so I usually know about what trackers are there ,I think that the community had grown up , and this is amazing for trackers like IDE who just wants to keep it tight and close.
few years back Information and news about IDE would be spread around the internet , it is nice to see the development in BT community.
marigold marigold what in your opinion is the best way to join a desired tracker ? you can't just tell people not to do this without having another option to offer , if there is no other option i will have to disagree with you , it is totally fine and legit to join a tracker as "ladder", it is a win win situation for both the user and the tracker , the user did his part when he reached PU , Donated or whatever , and the tracker if it doesn't like to be used in that way they can easily remove the invite section , and that's it

Reactions: CungaLunga