2 Mini-Articles: 1) If you invited a bad user 2) Are you a collector

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

RogueWolf33

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
So far I don't know that I have ever invited a bad user *knock on wood* It was actually nice because I had a bunch of guys at work that I just invited one and he went on the crusade of inviting everyone else at work that wanted one. (Mostly techs) there was one guy that squandered an invite and continued to use pirate bay because he couldn't be bothered to keep a ratio. *shrug*

Regarding collecting though, I could be blamed for that to be honest. I try to make sure that I give back to the community but my motive is simply to be able to find the content I want. Some site just simply do not have it. I also get concerned about having alternatives. Sometimes I don't like how a tracker seems to conduct itself. I want to be sure I have another site so I am not bound specifically to one I may disagree with. I want to ensure I support the communities that I enjoy, not be bound to one that may be less desirable.

The question I have though, What about these "1337" trackers make them so "1337" I mean, okay they are difficult to get into or whatever, but is there actually any better content? Whats the deal? Can someone answer that for me?

I always aspired to find the source of torrents. Mainly out of curiosity. I have come to realize though that I may never get to know that Gem. I don't have the time nor the skill currently to have anything to offer to the scene group so I imagine that is how I would find the answers to that question.

Anyway. Great topic! Thanks so much!

Reactions: CungaLunga

AbeSimpson

Gold
So far I don't know that I have ever invited a bad user *knock on wood* It was actually nice because I had a bunch of guys at work that I just invited one and he went on the crusade of inviting everyone else at work that wanted one. (Mostly techs) there was one guy that squandered an invite and continued to use pirate bay because he couldn't be bothered to keep a ratio. *shrug*

Regarding collecting though, I could be blamed for that to be honest. I try to make sure that I give back to the community but my motive is simply to be able to find the content I want. Some site just simply do not have it. I also get concerned about having alternatives. Sometimes I don't like how a tracker seems to conduct itself. I want to be sure I have another site so I am not bound specifically to one I may disagree with. I want to ensure I support the communities that I enjoy, not be bound to one that may be less desirable.

The question I have though, What about these "1337" trackers make them so "1337" I mean, okay they are difficult to get into or whatever, but is there actually any better content? Whats the deal? Can someone answer that for me?

I always aspired to find the source of torrents. Mainly out of curiosity. I have come to realize though that I may never get to know that Gem. I don't have the time nor the skill currently to have anything to offer to the scene group so I imagine that is how I would find the answers to that question.

Anyway. Great topic! Thanks so much!
Not sure which 1337 trackers you are referring to but I can speak to a few I belong too. BTN is the best TV tracker currently available because it has everything TV and is well organized. PTP is the best overall movie tracker because it has more movies than any other tracker and has most movies in numerous formats with multiple seeds. HDBits is the premier HD tracker because it has almost anything HD you could think of with great speeds and great quality. It has the highest quantity of quality encodes I have seen on any tracker. These trackers haven't always been hard to get into, but have become so over time due to high demand as a result of all being exceptional.

mindtrip

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Oh to invite or not invite.... I've gotten burnt before by bad invitees, so now only invite others that I actually know personally in RL, either relations or people who have been my friends for years. Figure that way if they turn out to be a bad user, I know where they live... and I tell them so. :piratetongue:

I've also gotten burnt by forming friendships with others who turn out to be total sh*ts, and that's bitten me in the butt as well. So now I tend to lay low, ignoring PM's and invite requests, and staying out of the fray.

But the sword cuts both ways; I've just had another tracker go down after being an active member and building a good ratio and rep, and THAT site was a replacement for yet another site that went down where I'd built a good ratio and rep. Now I find myself on the other side--no relationships built, no support network to back me up. Yet, it feels wrong somehow to ask for an invite to another tracker in the PTM VIP forum, seeing as how I've ignored others because I didn't know them.

Trust. Our only currency, and our most vulnerable. Like Tom Reagan tells Leo in Miller's Crossing, "Nobody knows anybody. Not that well."

Reactions: CungaLunga

nevergiveup

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Not sure which 1337 trackers you are referring to but I can speak to a few I belong too. BTN is the best TV tracker currently available because it has everything TV and is well organized. PTP is the best overall movie tracker because it has more movies than any other tracker and has most movies in numerous formats with multiple seeds. HDBits is the premier HD tracker because it has almost anything HD you could think of with great speeds and great quality. It has the highest quantity of quality encodes I have seen on any tracker. These trackers haven't always been hard to get into, but have become so over time due to high demand as a result of all being exceptional.
Aren't their alternatives, yes they may not be able to replace them [in terms of content, seeds] but i hope sure can fill in the gaps. For ex. Joining MTV and if one is not able to find something and create a request, same thing can be said for movies also and if it comes to HD joining AHD is easier as they have official invite threads

RogueWolf33

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
I dont know that I was speaking of any one tracker specifically but thanks for explaining why the ones you are in are desired :)

marigold

Ex Staff
Ex Staff
Gold
Thanks AbeSimpson AbeSimpson for this post. It is exactly this kind of info that I'm looking for. Despite the fact that I have read many of the tracker reviews, I had not come to know how exactly one tracker differed from another. Perhaps such information is really needed and just recently was suggested by another TPS member if memory serves me right.

Even though CungaLunga CungaLunga made a marvelous post in support of having many accounts, I for myself cannot see being a member of so many trackers. Just visiting and keeping up generally with what is going on on each tracker takes time (not even considering actively participating) and I really could not do that for a large number of trackers.

On the other hand of course, having a back-up home in case of your fav tracker poofing, is very important as I have sadly found out for myself. So the question remains, even if one does not want to be a collector, how many trackers does one really need ?

EvilWalks

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Some so called leet trackers are simply rare and reclusive. Makes people lust over them, despite them being rather shit in reality.

Others are steeped in quality, and their leet status is well earned. Places like PTP, BTN, Pedro's and HDB for example deserve their status, and are remarkable places to be a member if you have even the most remote interest in their content.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
As I wrote before, people don't make as much of a fuss about whether or not a tracker is "1337" like they used to. Seems like the most desirable trackers to get into now are the 3 "unholy trinity" ones - what.cd, PTP and BTN and rightly so given their extensive content bases.

Back when I started with private trackers, the 1337 thing first started when FST (Filesharingtalk forum) created the infamous "level list." As I've written innumerous times before, this list was used by sellers and traders to determine a tracker's "worth" for trading and selling. But torrenters would look at that "level list," and see what was a "high level tracker," and want to get into it. I acknowledge it's human nature.

The other thing that contributed to the 1337 concept was Sharky's blog Filesharefreak. He would write a yearly article on "most requested trackers" and he would really hype up some of the trackers high up on the list (Like FTN, for example). He made it seem like "everybody" wanted in, but only a selected few could get in. He also said its membership was a "who's who" of the torrent world. This would lead to more hype and desire for people to get into places like FTN, even though it was really nothing more than a small, ratio-free scene tracker.

Remember there were quite a few trackers which were hard to get into, but the key to being "1337" was they were also desirable to get into, because of the hype.

Today, there are no current level lists, and there are no blogs which hype trackers like that. (I certainly won't disrespect a tracker with that kind of talk.) Plus the torrent community is maturing, so the desire to "collect" a "1337" tracker is less. This is a good thing, because it will lead to less trading and selling.

Jarvis007

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Very good post. I just want to add that most staffers will show you fair amount of leniency if and only if you're telling the truth about what happened. They might as well let you have your account back on several occasions with some conditions of course (depending upon your offense.) So being truthful to them about your invitees is the best thing you could do in such situation. They will eventually connect the dots and whip your ass later for not telling the truth in the first place. It's not like they see everyone as invite trader or seller but with how things going around lately it's fair in their shoes.

P.S. - This is my perspective toward things from my experience in private trackers (which is as little as 2 years :p)

Antomon

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
While application process seems better option then invites, you can still get bad users but different kind.

With invites, you are more likely to get bad users that are "fire and forget" type, they use site couple of times, then forget about or don't care about ratio because they got invite without much work. They are type which won't write applications because they are lazy and it is too much work for them. Yes they are bad users, but they don't usually have malicious intents.

With application process, you tend to get more crafty bad users that will put up time to write application and usually pass it, because they will say things you want to hear. This users usually have malicious intents because they tend to be multiple times offenders and/or known sellers/traders.

I did 2 application process (ScienceHD and Animebytes) and got in at first try, because i was truthful at what i wrote and had interest in content they had, but i can see how some with little bit of knowledge in social engineering and lying ability could also get it. When you are asking question, you are also giving hints what answer should be.

"Why do you want to join our site?" - you want hear that your site is better then others, has content others don't, has better community then others, applicant has access to sources that you don't, that applicant will contribute somehow to site or even "honest" answer like "Hey i heard this is great site, i don't know how can i contribute, but i will try to do my best." tend to work.

"What are yours favorite (anime/movies/bands/insert content that your tracker is dealing with)" - if you name classic of genre, you chances are higher, if you pick oddballs you have to explain them better, who you gonna pick more likely, someone that like Rolling Stones/Beatles or someone that likes Kesha.

And so on.

I understand that there techicnal ways to stop those kinds of users (banning use of VPNs, not allowing throwaway e-mails, IP detections), but i think we can agree those things can get out hand (trackers banning whole countries).

• Agree
Reactions: dakka and Cthulhu

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
who you gonna pick more likely, someone that like Rolling Stones/Beatles or someone that likes Kesha.
The Beatles and the Stones are my 2 favorite groups and I only know 1 song from Ke$ha and I hate it. (something about rinsing mouth with a bottle of jack)

Back on topic. Tracker applications and direct recruitment is safer for trackers because they have more tools to check the applicant. (Like access to "the list" to see if an applicant's IP address or e-mail address is on that list, for example)

Re: when trackers question you about the bad user you invited. Yes by all means be truthful, but grit your teeth as your answer can get you banned. If you honestly say you did a giveaway on torrent-invites.com and that's how you invited that bad user - say "bye bye" to your account. (You shouldn't do that anyway.)

When I got grilled about inviting the bad user DeadXxX to a trackers - I said I first met him at TPS, but made an effort to get to know him via PM on IRC and by PM at trackers. (This allowed me to see what he was downloading, uploading and posting on the forums at his trackers.) I did not invite him via invite giveaway nor did I fill a request of his. The invite came as a result of a private conversation. So they did not take away my invite privileges and let me keep my account. (Believe me, I was very apologetic. The guy fooled me. )

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
Using a system like TiT used to have, you could still require the application to need a user that's earned the referral by traditional means, be it donations or attaining higher user classes for example.
Now that's an idea I wish I'd thought of! Simply brilliant. You get a referral code to enter into a field on the application, which basically adds a layer to the process. Someone who is already a member is more or less "vetting" you, and on top of that you have to make an effort on the application. This gives the staffer who checks the application the ability to not only see what the invitee has to say, but gives them the referrer and lets them check their account as an additional frame of reference. Of course some bad users will get through, they always do and you can't stop that entirely. However, the more you have to work with up front, the more control you have over the entire process. I would dare say it's easier to reject applicants up front than it is to clean up the mess after the fact, and this would cut down some on entire invite trees being banned. I could go into more detail about how I think it should function, but I think this is more than enough to get the idea across, and I'm not trying to pitch anybody on the method anyway. Every single system will have things that slip through the cracks, it's just a fact of life. It's more about how you deal with stemming the tide, and how you prepare for things.

Seriously, a lot of very good comments in this thread. This is what I look for on forums, real and heartfelt discussion on topics that mean something to the people posting.

Antomon

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
Ultimately it comes down, no matter how many precusion you take, at some point you have to put your trust in other people. Sure some will brake your trust and get you in trouble, but there also upside of you bringing great member to community and potentially good friend.

Joe

^5
Shipmate
Gold
Regarding inviting users: I truly never think of inviting anyone, especially if he is a stranger. To be frank I am really afraid of something might get happened. So I stay away whenever possible inviting anyone, instead I point then in right direction. Since official recruitment is best IMO when compared to invites. Since invites can be found easily but it's always risky in future where as official thread are worth the wait and best to get join any tracker. There are times when you won't find threads of trackers then trusting loyal friend is only the key.

Regarding collector: To be short, you are always welcome if you are going to use your account and contribute to community in any way. Feel proud if you are doing already.

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
I think there's a fact that eludes many when it comes to giving invites. If you've got someone you interact with regularly, such as another member here at TPS, do you treat them like a stranger when it comes to invites? If it's someone you would hang out with in real life if only they lived in your city or country, do you really think about whether you need to ask for ratio proofs to help with your decision, or do you give it to them because you've built up somewhat of a relationship and a little trust?

Almost every single invite I've ever given out has been to either someone I've gotten to know online over a period of time, or have gotten to know over a period of time in real life. I can't honestly remember asking for ratio proofs when I've given out invites, and granted there are trackers that know I was once a staffer so I might not worry as much about the repercussions, but you wouldn't ask people you'd consider a friend in real life to prove that they're worth you doing them a favor. If you would feel the need to ask, you probably need new friends.

R4I

I'M A 3.5" CHODE
Pirate
Gold
Some so called leet trackers are simply rare and reclusive. Makes people lust over them, despite them being rather shit in reality.

Others are steeped in quality, and their leet status is well earned. Places like PTP, BTN, Pedro's and HDB for example deserve their status, and are remarkable places to be a member if you have even the most remote interest in their content.
xbt used to not any more :)

IPT is all u need! tbh. Fuck the staffers! the files are important. and you get all the things u need. And their request system is Okey.

For guys like me who are in less sites OFC.

The Beatles and the Stones are my 2 favorite groups and I only know 1 song from Ke$ha and I hate it. (something about rinsing mouth with a bottle of jack)

Back on topic. Tracker applications and direct recruitment is safer for trackers because they have more tools to check the applicant. (Like access to "the list" to see if an applicant's IP address or e-mail address is on that list, for example)

Re: when trackers question you about the bad user you invited. Yes by all means be truthful, but grit your teeth as your answer can get you banned. If you honestly say you did a giveaway on torrent-invites.com and that's how you invited that bad user - say "bye bye" to your account. (You shouldn't do that anyway.)

When I got grilled about inviting the bad user DeadXxX to a trackers - I said I first met him at TPS, but made an effort to get to know him via PM on IRC and by PM at trackers. (This allowed me to see what he was downloading, uploading and posting on the forums at his trackers.) I did not invite him via invite giveaway nor did I fill a request of his. The invite came as a result of a private conversation. So they did not take away my invite privileges and let me keep my account. (Believe me, I was very apologetic. The guy fooled me. )
Hey you never invited me any where :( I hate you for that :p
I was fooked by a guy who invited me too a particular place. He was a trader! Well I was not so lucky.

Sites are sites! Even if he is a collector, if he is using the site then no one cares. If you are in more than 5 sites u r a collector. But this thing is vague collector tag and all. If he is active then sky is the limit.

Being a good member is important and donating to ur sites is even more important.

Its all about trust you see. If you know that the guy is good then its a different thing. One way to say is that the guy who uploads a lot and then quickly asks for an invite is a trader. Thats their style. Other than that, a SIMPLE way is to check if he is using a mobile internet connection or not?. One of the tricks but ways.

My whole BT life was a mess as I started from T-I :p but I dont regret it. One has to start from some where hehe. But it was a awesome place tbh :) I have said that to every SYOP on the planet. BIG sites ofc ( Survived it ). Just because of Trust.

Well TPS is a nice place too. BTN, PTP and Pedro's also have a grey spot for u know what( Money). And did some shitty things.

Dont give Trackers and tracker staffs such importance. They are subjective. And its piracy ffs we all are thieves end of the day!

The only staffers that I loved and had a sense of morality and Justice were c ,Fubar, Bitey,MM, LB06, aarnox, me3 and Wolf. (other staffers I cant disclose their name) Most of then have that artificial Epeens and are fucking subjective with every thing.

Ways I am no more a part of BT so what ever :).

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
xbt used to not any more :)
Hmm. xbt aka P**** used to be very hard to get into. Only uploaders had invites and they tended to only invite fellow uploaders. (So you had to be at least a Power User at what.cd, show them a pic of your music collection and show a sample of your scanned artwork). Now they give out invites to regular members periodically, so it's easier to get into, so you don't have to be a music uploader to get in. So does that make them less "1337?" ;) As far as being "elitist," some of the members there are big-time "FLAC snobs." They will demand nothing but perfection from a music encode, including perfect tagging, and their idea of perfect EAC settings.