2 Mini-Articles: 1) If you invited a bad user 2) Are you a collector

T P S
We are Society.
Apply for membership

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
Some of my blog articles reflect some of the conversations which have gone on at TPS, and I wanted to share them with our non-TPS members who read the blog, plus it provides more "food for thought" for our members. Here are 2 short articles.

If You Invited a Bad User

1. You meet a guy at TPS or at your trackers, and he seems to share your interest in movies/music/tv etc. Seems like a friendly, good guy, and one day he mentions he's interested in a particular tracker. Being diligent, you ask him to give you a profile link and you even PM him at the link to make sure he's genuine. then you invite him to the place he wants into. A week later, you get a PM from a tracker staff saying the guy you invited was a bad user, you just lost your invite privileges , and you have to explain how you got to know him. You feel very embarrassed, even violated. You PM your invitee at your tracker and he lies through his teeth. He either (a) denies he's a bad user or ( b) says his account was hacked or (c) says his "brother," "neighbor," or "roomate" was the real bad user who used his accounts and did the trading/selling/cheating. (I am not kidding. These bad users really say these things.) You realize you've just been taken for a fool, a sucker, a chump.

So you are pissed as all hell. You want this guy globally banned from all his trackers. BUT, resist the urge to PM staff at all your trackers to report this guy. Tracker staff note that "trader hunters," and those who report bad users directly to them are fellow traders/sellers/buyers who got screwed and are reporting the bad user as "revenge." This happens so much that even if you are a good (but naive) user, you will be suspected of this. So what do you do?

Easy - simply do nothing. Assume this bad user was already on "the list." This is how the tracker caught him in the first place. Assume the info is being spread through the tracker network and as trackers are good at weeding out bad users, trust them to weed this guy out of the system. Now some trackers aren't as aggressive with weeding out bad users, and just deal with it. Don't piss off the staff by reporting him.

Now if you are a member of TPS, and we know you well, just send the info to our staff. We can forward it to our tracker staff friends and they can do what they want with the info. But don't get frustrated if nothing happens. If you do still make a fuss because "nothing is happening" the tracker staff will again suspect wha your motives are. Yes, inviting a bad user is infuriating, especially if you lose your invite privileges, but keep a cool head on this. Just remember Karma - "what comes around, goes around" ;)

Are you a collector?

2. A member asked me if he showed interest in a "1337" tracker, does that make him a collector? (something like that) Now I don't like to label trackers like that (except to be sarcastic), but a "1337" tracker is one which is hard to get into, desirable to get into, and publicity shy. Most of the time these trackers really hate being labeled like that, and was tagged by the label on forums or blogs. (not mine ;) ) So here's my opinion (and mine alone). It's human nature if you read on a blog that "everybody and his brother wants in" a certain tracker, and then you get interested in it. It doesn't bother me someone gets interested in such a tracker. Early in my torrent career those kinds of trackers intrigued me as well. The thing to do next is see if this place is right for you. Does its content/community fit in with you, and will you be active there? Do you just want to bask in the "prestige" of being there, or do you really want the tracker for what's inside. (or a little of both) Remember the concept of "E-Peen" is silly, and doesn't mean crap in the real world. So anyway, if you get into the tracker and use it and be a good user, then you're not a collector. If you get it just for the sake of saying you are a member and don't use it, then you're a collector. If your interest in the tracker came because it was "1337" but you still end up being active there, you are not a collector. (I also note in today's torrent world, trackers who play the "1337" game - hard to get into, secret URLs, extensive country ban lists, etc. will suffer as well. Over time they will not get many members and will stagnate. Trackers which were really hard to get into have opened their doors a bit more and subsequently have gotten more active.)

Bezerra

Pirate
Pirate
Gold
This is the kind of reflection necessary to everyone in the world BT. We need to use the utmost caution so as not to be "deceived".

Reactions: othersna

Snowbird

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Great article othersna othersna . Sometimes it is inevitable that even though we think we know the person, only after we get to know of these bans we realize that we invited a bad user. Its a learning experience for us to see who we really trust. Sometimes an unknown online person may be very good but a known person of real life may be bad.

1337 or not, I feel its always best to direct an interested guy towards recruitment threads.

SocietyLottery

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
thanks mate for the blog specially the second part which I asked for,regarding the first part i think is the recruitment/application is the best way to get in , and I think maybe all trackers since they spend too much time dealing with invites issues they should just close them and make an open application or easy access recruitment for everybody (which many trackers already did) , so they can control traffic and invite user they think are fit , and this will give staff much more time to care for their site content and activity rather than invite problems. and since it is impossible to know if an invitee is trusted/worthy I think that no member ever should be banned for inviting a bad user , he just shouldn't be able to invite more.

trefla

Captain
Captain
Gold
Nice read othersna othersna , thanks for this.
Funny thing I see myself in both the scenarios you just resented.
I somehow consider myself a collector... I used to join every tracker I could and loved to buffer the accounts, join the forum discussions overall integrate in the community. But most of the times I would get bored after a while and never look back. The worst part is when they grow to get cool and sweet and don't want you back in....

Now another way of getting rid of trackers is inviting... anyone. More than half of my invitees proved to be bad apples and got me banned/invite rights removed. Through the years, I have developed horrible trust issues. When I was younger I had an online friend. We used to spend hours chatting on mirc, I used to play WoW every second of my life and she was even more antisocial. We were together for a couple of years. We were still living in different worlds but we loved each other. She told me she was shagging her flat mate, a fat old geezer that was married and had two kids. Obviously I thought she was winding me up and never trusted that. He was going out with us sometimes and I helped him finding a job. The day we were planning her to move in with me I went to help her with the bags and they were naked in bed all over each other. So yeah I always choose the wrong moment to trust someone and the worst when not to.

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
I remember back in the earlier days, when people made more of a fuss over this "1337" thing than before, you'd see someone request one, and then the responses would be "you don't need it," or "forget it you'll never get in" or to question the person's motives in wanting a "1337" tracker. However I note some of those responders are already members of that "1337" tracker, and I wonder if they are being elitist themselves by not wanting other outsiders to get in. (In today's torrent world a tracker would be foolish to completely shut its doors as it will stagnate after that happens. Now I know some trackers have reached member capacity, but I trust they will allow in more members as the membership starts to trim down.)

I also remember at some blogs/forums, some torrenters would whine when a "1337" tracker would ease up on their invites. This is also silly because if your "E-Peen" is not as long ;) because the tracker is easier to get into, SO WHAT!? Furthermore, this is a trader/seller's mentality, in thinking a tracker will go down in "level" if it is easier to get into. (i.e. it's "worth" to a trader or seller will be less because it is easier to get into. This is a REALLY BAD way of looking at trackers. )

• Agree
Reactions: dakka and jammyone

TheFireFox

Buccaneer
Gold
Lol othersna 1337 is so oldschool, it's unicorn tracker! :p

But yeah, people are still collecting stuff for no reason. I have backup trackers, I won't lie about that, but that's because I actually needed them in the past when my main tracker goes down or other my main tracker doesn't have the content I'm looking for or suddenly goes *poof*. But I do try to use my backup trackers (and most of them get used because all of my snatching happens automatically :p).

I honestly don't see the reason why people need 15 general trackers (for example) because 5 of them are considered "Hard to get in to". They usually dissapoint and end up not being used often, or at all anyway, the only reason for them to have it is so they can boast about it or something.

• Agree
Reactions: dakka and othersna

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
Seriously though, you can even get burned by someone who has been in your community for a while, when suddenly they get banned and you find out they're a serial violator who has been at it for a long time. Trust shaken? Oh yes, because I've seen it happen, with a guy who was known on several trackers as a cool dude.

If you want my opinion, the way to do it is to have a signup page that is literally an application. This is something we had on the original TorrentIt (TiT) back in 05-06. Click the signup link, get taken to a page which asks the usual info like speed, desired nick and password, email, etc, then has a part where you are asked why the tracker should consider you as a member, and what you have to offer them as such. When we had this, the staff got alerts whenever applications were in the queue, and we read the applications, then simply clicked Allow or Deny. If you were chosen, you got a confirmation email. If you were not chosen, you heard nothing, and this was stated on the application page. It is beyond me why I have never seen another site do this, because I personally think it is brilliant. If a person doesn't think the application is important enough to write a good argument as to why they should be a member, then you don't want them. This is where a person gets their chance to prove themselves in word, if not in deed, and if they don't put their best foot forward there, then we don't want them, and a rejection they shall (not) receive.

jammyone

Dark Pirate
Dark Pirate
Gold
If you want my opinion, the way to do it is to have a signup page that is literally an application.
PixelHD, ScienceHD and others do this. Some of those don't spell it out exactly (eg have a miscellaneous section) but some do ask "Why do you want to be a member of this site".

BlastGT1

Captain
Captain
Gold
By the way, answers such as "I have X connection speed" or "I will seed".....yeah, those never cut it. I denied many of those applications. Prove to me that you're worth taking the risk on, and you'll stand a good chance of gaining entry.

Reactions: jammyone

SocietyLottery

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I remember back in the earlier days, when people made more of a fuss over this "1337" thing than before, you'd see someone request one, and then the responses would be "you don't need it," or "forget it you'll never get in" or to question the person's motives in wanting a "1337" tracker. However I note some of those responders are already members of that "1337" tracker, and I wonder if they are being elitist themselves by not wanting other outsiders to get in. (In today's torrent world a tracker would be foolish to completely shut its doors as it will stagnate after that happens. Now I know some trackers have reached member capacity, but I trust they will allow in more members as the membership starts to trim down.)
exactly !! , that was the main thing that bugged me to write the post, since you are already a member of those so called "1337" why would you keep telling others "it's not worth it " or "why do you need" why did not you ask yourself that before joining, and I'm pretty sure if you asked other people some will tell you that .
by "you" i meant a hypothetical person OFC not you :p

Last edited:

CungaLunga

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I did not intend to make such a long post, but I guess I can not state my opinion on this one with just one sentence:eating:.

When someone a year ago told me that tracker world is a 'cool game', where progressing through stats and user classes is the biggest fun, I was like - dude what are U smoking?! :doh:
I am a long time torrenteer and was always about getting desired files ASAP and leave them on seed (because sharing is caring!) for as long as I needed space for something new...

Now, a year later, I am a regular uploader on a few trackers and a 'nice' variant of a ratio whore.
Nice because I also download - U see I am all about 'whole data' moving around, not just UL...that way I believe it does not hurt tracker(s) economy...and for example I would not cross seed if the original uploader just started, etc...

I am now often 'called' Elite, Master and some other e-peen (not that I need any) boosting words... and spend over 95% of my time dedicated to torrenting in the forums, learning new stuff, tinkering with seedbox, filters, scripts and also enjoy talking with new friends from all over the world that share the same enthusiasm ATM as I.

That said, I still remember very clearly, that my only goal when I was looking for new home (TVT died & Bitsoup disabled RSS and started to get really annoying...) was to find new source for newest version of apps, TV series packs and movies (At the time both web-dl if possible). But I didn't know nothing about PT world. Or quality encodes for that matter.

So I googled, read the reviews on invite forums (where else...) and started to make a list of trackers, that 'should' suit my needs.

Pretty soon I lost my original focus and was adding to this 'wish list' all trackers that seemed to be in a higher demand or harder to get in or just trackers that have more users and torrents - more content/bigger chance to get what I want...

Because like I said, I didn't have a clue, what trackers are 'good' and what aren't. And I am also pretty sure I added to that list all the trackers that 'should' have something called recruitment threads or something, where good users could get invites to other trackers they pursue. I also googled and read many reddit threads about where do this sites 'recruit'.

So there I was. Still only with Bitsoup account and a Big list of over 50-60 trackers that I probably want to join?! I had put everything in excel, to keep track about what differentiates this trackers, where they have free season packs, where would I most probably find the latest versions of apps, etc...

I applied for MAM. That was the first time I read every tracker rule and even memorized almost all of them. It took me 3-4 Hours and IRC interview was a joke comparing to what I expected. And then it all started...ratio whoring, points, even forum 'games' just for the sake of forum posts count...:pirateswhistle:but it got me some new friends and even some other invites, besides those I was able to get from MAM forum invite section....

A few months later I was in most of the trackers on my list.
I stopped joining new ones, when one inviter tried to send me an invite to 3DT, but got response from the system that I am already registered?!
And I actually was, I just forgot about it, because I joined prior to my excel list. I explained my potential inviter the whole situation, so he could see that I am a good guy and whatnot...:doh:

It was now obvious that I needed to take a deep breath and regroup my intentions, desires and also face the reality, that I am now also a part of this strangely addicting game?! WTF?!

So I stopped joining to other missing trackers from my original list, even to some really 'good' ones that now I have access to, because of my stats on some trackers that gave me access to some forums closed to lower ranks of users....

That gave me time to realize, that some of 'my' trackers are generally speaking not so good (coding, content, seeders, comunity..wise). They got to my list, because I read about them more often. One of the reasons being, that they simply exist longer or are harder to get in. (I have respect for all of them and the hard work that was put by a lot of people in them..., so I will not name any here...I will just not spend a lot of my time there.)

So, the current situation is like this;

Trackers do die or close their doors for good. Bad ones and good ones. And it happens in a second. Poof. And it is gone!
All Your stats! All Your uploads and carefully crafted screens and descriptions! All your PM Archives with all the info and potentially useful stuff. Even contact info of some users that grow on You and You never exchanged other contact info so U probably lost them for good.:sadpirate::sadpirate::sadpirate:

Some trackers are raided, other closed for other, even personal reasons between staffers. Some might come back, but most of them will not.
And that will (as much as the fact saddens me) happen to PTP, BTN and HDB or whatever tracker U consider the best, top, l33t!
And it will happen sooner than U think! Just according to events in last 12 months....:eeek: According to my excel list, 8 trackers closed in last year only.

So for that reason alone I believe that one should have at least 3 good TV PT accounts, 3 Movie and even more general accounts. Add to that music trackers, game trackers, stuff for kids, xxx, phone stuff, some older stuff for parents, and other niche trackers for the stuff U are interested a few times a year and U are at 30-50 accounts before U say cookie. Especially if You come from non native English speaking Country. That adds additional 15 trackers just to cover ex Yugoslavia (or where ever Your nationality lies) movies, series, books, music... Because when some local movie/CD gets out it's sometimes really hard to find it anywhere. And even if it once was uploaded to more than one tracker, seeders are long gone now. And they alone are the reason, that You often need 10 not 1 tracker, when U are searching for something that is not 2015 mainstream stuff...

There is of course no way to know from outside or a few screens in a tracker reviews what trackers will work for U and what not. So before U know it, U could be in over 100 trackers...:eeek:

That's where I am at the moment. And I cross seed and fill requests and move/upload stuff around them. I really enjoy 'doing it' as I enjoy having access to all the popular encodes. Not for the pre times (my TV/movies backlog is over 300 titles long and still growing...:wacky:) but more so I can pass them forward. And just now, there is a bloke over at PTP that asked for reseed on 576p version of something that is not seeded anymore. And guess who found it on the 12th or something tracker he bothered to look to...:arrr2:

So about naming someone Collector in a negative way. Well if invites are hard to come by, rare, cost a lot of points...I kinda understand inviter if the invitee claims the invite and than his UL/DL stats stays at 0. Because that invite could be given to someone else, that would probably give the inviter more joy, because he will indeed use that precious gift.
But that's just the way it is, I guess. Some people You invite will contribute a lot, others will need Your constant 'support' and even then might just leave the tracker behind to be disabled, some inconsiderable aholes even with a bad ratio, to make things even worse for U.

But no one can guarantee, that he will use a tracker long term, before he even knows more about it. There is by design just not enough info about trackers outside of them or it's really hard to comb through all opposite opinions...

Also claiming that so called collectors are just using user space on trackers, so someone else that could really use and benefit from account, can not get in, is just nonsense. Each tracker has it's sweet spot of active users. So the things are still manageable, hardware/dedicated HDD space and community moderating wise..including costs covering via donations or otherwise.

TL:DR;
So the only downside of collecting accounts that I am really seeing is like I said, that inviter with limited invites spends those on users, that than do nothing useful with it to say the least.

In my perfect world there would be only one eternal tracker with everything that got out in last 34 years. Everything seeded not just for the Karma points sake with 0,1KB/s UL speed, but really seeded!
That will never happen for many reasons, so the very next thing would probably be 100 different trackers and users that cross seed everything they can long term.
Everyone could join everywhere via recruitment/application. And because people have real lifes to, the good user accounts shouldn't get disabled ever.
But no ratioless or no ridiculous 24h minimum seeding time bullshit stuff either. Even for TV. Because there are people out there that do watch older stuff to...If everybody would seed back over 1 at least and keep seeding for at least few weeks...We would probably not 'need' to have so many accounts on so many trackers just to find seeded Season 08 of Desperate Housewives in desired 'quality' that is actually download-able sooner than in a few weeks/months time. (Shame on You, the only seeder on 'top' TV tracker!:wacky:)

:gotgold:

EvilWalks

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
I'm with BlastGT1 BlastGT1 ... I wish ALL trackers completely did away with traditional invites. Either have an application, or when the invite is sent, it is simply a token to allow the user to fill in the application form. Staff get to personally go over every new user. Get to weed out the bullshit themselves, users shouldn't have to be held accountable for the bad users, and you fill your tracker with positive users more so than you would otherwise.

Personally, I'm going to use this very system when my next tracker comes to fruition in the coming months.

SocietyLottery

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
I'm with BlastGT1 BlastGT1 ... I wish ALL trackers completely did away with traditional invites. Either have an application, or when the invite is sent, it is simply a token to allow the user to fill in the application form. Staff get to personally go over every new user. Get to weed out the bullshit themselves, users shouldn't have to be held accountable for the bad users, and you fill your tracker with positive users more so than you would otherwise.

Personally, I'm going to use this very system when my next tracker comes to fruition in the coming months.
I wish that there is that ULTIMATE tracker where is it has IPT (content+userbase) + bB (ethics and community) , but we are just wishing , most trackers will never get rid of invites because we all know that many people would only donate when they want some invites or something , and I don't blame them .

• Agree
Reactions: CungaLunga

EvilWalks

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
I wish that there is that ULTIMATE tracker where is it has IPT (content+userbase) + bB (ethics and community) , but we are just wishing , most trackers will never get rid of invites because we all know that many people would only donate when they want some invites or something , and I don't blame them .
Using a system like TiT used to have, you could still require the application to need a user that's earned the referral by traditional means, be it donations or attaining higher user classes for example.

• Agree
Reactions: SocietyLottery

othersna

Ex Staff
Gold
exactly !! , that was the main thing that bugged me to write the post, since you are already a member of those so called "1337" why would you keep telling others "it's not worth it " or "why do you need" why did not you ask yourself that before joining, and I'm pretty sure if you asked other people some will tell you that .
by "you" i meant a hypothetical person OFC not you :p
Yes not me. I remember at PTM (one of the few trackers that allows VIPs to request invites for trackers in a special forum) a member there requested FTN. (one of the "1337" places back in the day) This was followed by a naysayer saying the usual "you don't need it" and an even more ominous "you won't get an invite from here." Well it turns out that requester was an active TPS member that I knew well from here. (Someone who isn't as active now but just made a post a few days ago - you know who you are, Mr. Gladiator ;) :p ) So I just sent him an invite to FTN , and just asked him to not say a word over there and just have the satisfaction he just proved the naysayer wrong. :)

EvilWalks

Community Rep
Community Rep
Gold
Yes not me. I remember at PTM (one of the few trackers that allows VIPs to request invites for trackers in a special forum) a member there requested FTN. (one of the "1337" places back in the day) This was followed by a naysayer saying the usual "you don't need it" and an even more ominous "you won't get an invite from here." Well it turns out that requester was an active TPS member that I knew well from here. (Someone who isn't as active now but just made a post a few days ago - you know who you are, Mr. Gladiator ;) :p ) So I just sent him an invite to FTN , and just asked him to not say a word over there and just have the satisfaction he just proved the naysayer wrong. :)
He should have just edited his post "Filled" and left it at that. :p

nevergiveup

Shipmate
Shipmate
Gold
As usual A great article by othersna othersna

Invite + Application Can go in hand in hand and really good way to get some new blood as if one needs to join need invite and fill application to show some passion for the tracker [content, community etc] but this method success will depend on how invites are handling out.
while
Application signup's have it's own advantage and disadvantage like more bad users may join but can get lot more users which can help with tracker growth

I joined my First PT through Application signup only, after that it opened doors to others and sail :happyship: continues

Last edited by a moderator:

Capone

The Ghost
New Recruit
Gold
Great article! I never give my invites out because I value my accounts and have been let down by others in the past. I agree that trader hunting will get you in trouble and you have to be extremely careful who you invite to certain places.

Ninjasaurus

New Recruit
New Recruit
Gold
Been down that road as far as inviting bad users goes. Now, I just don't invite people at all from tracker to tracker. Thanks for the article, good read.